cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
Chrysler did a lot of different stuff over the years, so I may be completely wrong but, IIRC the 413 heads have smaller valves. Of course that can be changed and you'll want to go to hardened valve seats anyway, so the job is already half done. The combustion chamber is most likely the closed chamber type like Chrysler used in '67 and before. It'll bring up the compression ratio a touch, but at the chamber design isn't the best for "breathing". Of course, then you have to use that big funky water pump that has the ports into the head too.

There might be some benefits from additional cooling in the heads, but IMHO, unless you're going to increase the valve size, I think it would make a bunch less power.

As to the question about the bottom end handling increased compression, the 440 is pretty strong. Take one apart and you'll see what I mean. Unless you're thinking about something really crazy, the bottom end will take about anything you can throw at it. Head gasket failure shouldn't be a problem either, as long as everything is flat before assembly. Myself, I don't use the steel shim gasket anymore and went to the far superior composition gaskets years ago.

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
Can't hide money PW!

MB, why the change? I'm a Blue Oval guy when it comes to building engines and could tell you castings and years to look for depending on application in regards to big block, small block Ford. This is probably not the forum to ask that technical question? I have a buddy who is a machinist who bleeds Mopar blue (And he does bleed a lot) and he would probably know if you can't find a mopar site. I know that it would increase your compression, doubt it would blow head gaskets if done right. Issue would be going above 9.5 compression and eliminating pump gas. Detonation would kill an RV engine quick. Another question is if your lower end could tolerate it either? Do you need heads and have them laying around? I wouldn't see the need otherwise? Please explain.

Ken

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Major difference is an understatement....that looks awesome!

You're pushing me to get off my butt and install the laminate I've got sitting in my dining room ๐Ÿ˜„
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
OK, pics of the new floor, before and after. What a difference!

Before

After

Don't worry, the tags will come off the carpeting! And my table is built, just need to find the right finish for it.

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Masterboondocker wrote :
ANYONE convert a 440 ...... to use the 413 Industrial heads ?

What will this do,, I have heard it might raise compression,, but will heads fit and will there be problems with blowing head gaskets..

tm ..... I do believe that the comb chamber cc's are slightly smaller on the indust heads ... but not that much of a diff to make that HUGE of a compression diff. WHY would you think there might be gasket-issues? ... the steel-shim gaskets are GOOD for up to 13 to 1.

The indust heads are not near the max flow rate of the 440 heads - but this hi-flow is not needed at or near 3000 rpm.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:

MBD, if I recall, isn't your rig one of those "Saturday Morning Cartoon" looking pointy-nosed rigs, like a B on steroids? I'd LOVE to see pics of that!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Eric

Saturday-Morning-Cartoon ??... !! ...... SEND me your email addy -- I will send you a pic that you could POST if you like.

It IS major DIFF from the regular MHs !

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:

MBD, what mods would one need to make to put 413 heads on a 440? Shouldn't they still bolt on, despite being B heads (vs RB heads)?

Eric

9er .... you would need the heads, push rods, exhaust manifolds and the massive water pump and housing. I am NOT sure of the combustion chamber cc diff ...... I would like to know MORE about this swap.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Masterboondocker wrote :
ANYONE convert a 440 ...... to use the 413 Industrial heads ?

What will this do,, I have heard it might raise compression,, but will heads fit and will there be problems with blowing head gaskets..

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Of course they're ready for the junk yard! That's why the person got rid of it! But then again, they may be like a friends older brother who traded in his cars for a new one when the tires needed replacing.:R

Someone willing to stick a bit of sweat equity and a few bucks can really have themselves a nice rig on the BIG CHEAP! I've been shopping for a cheap used Class C for sometime, and it looks as though even on eBay, none sell for much less than $2500.00, regardless of how unraodworthy they are! I'm stll at under a grand total (including purchase and 80miles of towing). I'll a few hundred in all new brakes (I was surprised how inexpensive the whole brake system is!), and all I'm left with tires (which I finally got a quote from the RV joint in Arkansas, cheapest you'll ever find, even with shipping to WI), so I'm darn near ready! And it won't be at $2500.00 either!!!!!!!!!!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
think they're trying to sell something?

Yup.

My Dodge chassis is easier to get parts for than my '93 Toyota - I walk into my local parts supplier (NOT a chain store) and they ask what I need for the beast this time ๐Ÿ˜‰

If they don't actually have it on the shelf, they can have it there in a couple hours, tops.

Fridges/AC units/water heaters/stoves or whatever are available on eBay and Craigslist.

And brand new ones drop right into place should you go that route.

I kinda like working on mine...but that's me. Guess that's why we bought an old one...:B

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would share this out... no names.. .and no reference to the dealership it came from, but my DW (who still isn't keen on the idea yet) sent someone we sorta know an e-mail asking for their opinion.

Every once in a while I receive requests much like yours. The best possible answer I can give, given the limited information, age, and type of coach this is, is that any value that this motor home has is strictly based on perception. The prices generally are what someone is willing to pay. Most of these older coaches are ready for the junk yard, but sometimes people keep them for unusual uses. Parts are generally hard or impossible to get sometimes and replacing components (such as a furnace or refrigerator) can be very expensive. Hopefully this is of some help.

I dunno... think they're trying to sell something?

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
You know MK and Leeann, we need to meet up somewhere and get pictures off all these 70's relics in one place at one time! Just think of the colors!!!! Oh man, and a black light... :B

I'll get some pics tonight of the new floor.

I still haven't gotten the new intake and carb (along with a bunch of other van related parts) a fellow Moparts member harvested from a salvage yard near his house for me. We were to meet up Saturday, then Sunday, but nothing came of it. I'll just remain patient! I missed the Iola trip already, so now there's no real hurry.

MBD, if I recall, isn't your rig one of those "Saturday Morning Cartoon" looking pointy-nosed rigs, like a B on steroids? I'd LOVE to see pics of that!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Eric

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, forgot to say:

Nice rig, hotrod! It may not be the nicest one around, but it sure isn't the junkiest one, either.

And getting the job done is the important part ๐Ÿ˜‰

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
My carpet was the Rust/Orange/Yellowish shag - but some nice person bleached it so it's really, really pale orange. We will be replacing it with grey Berber. The rest of the floor was ugly, cheap, brick/stone patterned vinyl, which we will replace with click-lock wood laminate. My countertop/dinette table/backsplash are hideous speckled pink and we're stuck with that (at least for a while).

I bought the camera and receiver for $25 and the monitor for about $90, both on eBay. It's a 7.2" widescreen that normally is a flip-down. We removed the plastic stuff and mounted it upright instead (so we had to turn the camera upside-down). We've got the camera mounted on the roof behind the rear vent in an old security camera enclosure he found in a *cough* dumpster so it's waterproof (the camera is water-resistant, but we wanted a little extra security).

It's really sweet for driving down the road with the trailer - we can see behind the trailer and the lanes on both sides, so no more questions about whether or not it's safe to change lanes. We chose to mount it that way rather than aimed right down at the hitch or just past.

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the support Leeann, but...I'm still embarrassed, Good Grief!

Did that camara set up come as a package or did you piece it together? How much? That would be Flippin Sweeeeeet for dropping a boat in this orange mammoth of mine. My boat is a PITA if it's not at the right depth when loading....and my young prodigy is often more interested in the bikinis hanging around than helping me?? Wonder where he gets that?

No beauty contest here PW! I gotta neighbor that dropped $60,000.00 on one and has used it once in the last year. His taxes were over a grand this year? And....for all that money....what does he get to fix?? Nothing! He didn't get to pull carpet, lay sub-floor, or tile. No way brother, what fun is that with nothing to break and fix!

Just think... we keep them another 30 years your apple green and my fruit loop orange may be back in style?

Ken