cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeteeth..... Here you go:

http://www.dudesrv.com/pdfs/

Manual there for just about everything Dodge.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... is that Transvan nice.......
You did good

I know there's one out there for us, just keep looking.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Easily - trust me. A couple bolts and you're done....iirc, we didn't even have to take off the spark plug wires.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks..

79 (or 78) 440. I know it's fairly straight forward, I had done it before on my old Bronco... so I think I could pull this one off and save myself some $$$

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Ye gods, you were busy!

Sounds like you're a long way towards having it ready - especially if the LP system checks out.

What year do you have again? It's pretty easy - but I'll find it for you in mine. We just did ours a couple weeks ago and the rubber gasket was CRUNCHY. And no more oil leak ๐Ÿ˜‰

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you've been busy too.

Over the weekend I've...
Been trying to fix a gray water tank leak. (This one is starting to tick me off, mostly because...)
The above happened when I "re-aggravated" an old repair replacing the waste valves.
installed a used... but working... refrigerator
re-caulked one side of the RV
removed the seats and old carpeting, then sealed, insulated, and re carpeted the cab area.
Installed a new Stereo w/CD & sat radio in the dash.
fixed the dash heater controls.
installed new shower head.
fixed misc cabinet latch systems.
fixed the rollover sofa.
replaced a couple breakers.
repainted the disgustingly discolored interior roof A/C cover.
Replaced the cover for the stove hood vent.
replaced the city water inlet.
repaired the potable water inlet.
Some Cleaning off the black streaks. "Totally Awesome" from the dollar store lives up to it's name. lol

I have just as long of a list if not more of things I still want to do... but I paid cash for the unit... and I'm currently out of it, so they will have to wait for a bit now. lol.

I'm having the LP system tested tomorrow... if alls good... then we're going "somewhere" this weekend.

Any chance someone could scan and send me the info on replacing valve cover gaskets from the manual? I think that's where the oil is coming from.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, I'm back! No computer access for a few days, and I'm JONESIN' big time!

Lets see, where are we at? I got the RV registered last Thursday, it was $135.00 for the reg, title, plates, and fees. Another $110.00 to make it a "Hobbiest", so $245.00 total to register her. One time only! No more fees EVER! I LOVE loop-holes!!!!!! :B

I have the carb installed and I need to get a fuel filter and a piece of vacuum hose, but she should be ready to fire any minute now!!! WOO-HOO!

I got my 16" front wheels for her (off e-bay, and the guy lives not 2 miles from me!), and the new 16" dually wheels are on their way! As soon as they arrive, new tires all around!

A friend with a big industrial sewing machine is going to re-do all the cushions...

This baby is ready to camp (almost)!!!!!

And my first use will be a fairly close-by nitro drags at Da Grove, I've been invited to park her at a friends house about 8 miles from the track, so nice long week-end of drag racing, BBQ-ing, and there PROBABLY will be a beer or 27 consumed! :B And since there will about 4 other campers there, and everyone of them Mopar fanatics, all shopuld be good, no matter what problems may arise!

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
Lifters usually click at idle or all the time, not just on acceleration.

Maybe its preignition. Its kind of a knocking sound, but I have heard it described as a "click" by someone not used to hearing it. That can be caused by a number of things, bad gas and/or incorrect ignition timing are the usual first things to look at. A quick way to check is to toss a can of octane booster in the tank and see if it goes away.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
You betcha! Mopar power is always welcome ๐Ÿ˜‰

You might also want to visit [url]www.championfleetowners.com as your Transvan was built by Champion. They have some good info and manuals on your vehicle over there - but you have to join to see them.

Your radiator needs a flush and refill - in fact, it might need to be boiled. I'm sure there's a lot of scale built up in there. Does it have a tranny cooler separate from the radiator? If not, I'd suggest getting one.

As far as the clicking, warm it up good then do an oil change - see if that clears it up. If it does, then yes it's probably a lifter.

I would definitely suggest the shocks. Shocks made a world of difference on our '73.

Cenote
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have just finished reading this thread, every single post. How could you not want a classic Dodge when there is support out there like this?

I have read so much great info in this thread! (the 440, 418 fight was fun too!)

We recently picked up a sweet 1980 Transvan, on a 79 sportsman w/440.
I have been told in the B forum that technically I am a C class, and not B as I first had thought. Whatever. I would rather be a "classic dodge" guy then a "camper van" guy anyday!

Our lil Cenote:

The picture dont do it justice. I will be taking new ones soon.
56,000 miles, 2 owners who took very good care and while it was used, it wasnt very much. No leaks or water damage.

Most everything does work. New tires, fridge, toilet. Lots of other things are like new. The ceiling is awesome and has some kind of padding and soft cushy fabric lining. Assuming its due to the low headroom. (DW can stand up just fine, I can almost.)

Has everything but gen and roof air. Dash AC is dead. It has been converted, looks ok, but there is one problem...one of the ports wasnt changed. I dont remember if it was high or low, but it still has the old style.
Would it be okay to try and charge it myself? Anyone know?

440 is WONDERFUL! Sure gas and all that...but omg it is so cool to put your foot into it and hear and feel mopar bb power! I have never owned anything like this but have some knowledge from others', but I do wonder if it is a tad loud when I accelerate? It clicks a little(lifters maybe?) with the acceleration. Could be that I am just not used to sitting right next to the engine!

It is converted to run on propane also, but I cant get it to stay running when I switch over. Conversion actually looks good and (I think) right. Something just isnt working.

Has a great msd ignition and fires right up.
Runs a little hot on hot days.
Needs ball joints and probably shocks.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread going.
Can I join?

Damian
***1980 19' American Clipper 719F Luxur Van w/440***

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
Eric,

No chance to get ou and pull that rim this weeekend. I will get to it eventually. It does have the adaptor though Hard to tell wha the measurements would be.

MB

I've been working on putting a 4BT Diesel in my 74 Bronco. It has got me thinking about one in the coach? I don't think a 6BT would fit but man.....would it be awesome for our application!!

Ken

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Trish Davis wrote:

Thank you, PW79 and Master BD,for all the tips you gave me.
I would have been way behind the game without them.

And Thank you toooo !

I think that we can ALL offer insights and opinions on this or that that can help out most anyone.

Our "Dodge Crew" here is small enough - we should do all we can to help each other.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Big_John wrote:

Does the 413 intake have coolant passages in it?

Yes INDEEDY .... and this is just another "PLUS" in the column for the 413 !

The typical exhaust heat crossover passage in the "440" head IS a coolant passage in and with the 413. So many times I have heard of people FRYING a TQ or a Holley with the common exh heat crossover. This can not be the case on a 413.

But on an aftermarket aluminum intake(which I am using on my 413) - it can dissipate the heat tooooo quickly - hence the plan on insulating of the intake on both the top and bottom.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Couple things...

re: 16.5 rims.
Talked with a buddy about this Avion (in a minute) and the first thing he mentioned were the 1-ton rims. Depending, you might be better off to swap them out for 16's.

Tires are cheaper and available anywhere.
Few places anymore have tire machines will accomodate 16.5 rims.

Again, "depending" ...
Look to see how much weight each axle is bearing and act accordingly.

Junkyard rims -- Not a thing wrong with them!

re: Dodge-based Avion.
Coach is terrific. New generator. New (electric only) GE fridge. New AC. 2 new 20lb propane tanks. Backup camera. New batteries. New water heater. Excellent water pressure. PERFECT INTERIOR. Really perfect and all original.

Chassis:
No exhaust manifold leaks. No oil leaks out of valve covers. Shifts smooth enough, but no real hills in Indianapolis. .410 rr end (rectangular "thing" on differential, can't miss it, you're right,MBD). 2-bbl carb. Betting the X-over pipe is plugged.

No cab heat /defrost /AC. Believe it's the motor, test light showed NO power. Frame does not appear to be rusted through anywhere but has not ever been painted or rust-proofed. It could be better. Needs leafs and shocks, frt & rr.

I drove it 15 miles, in town and freeway. Accelerates well enough, brakes (disc frt) will want attention --the master cylinder "overflowed" once back --new one to me, I've never seen that before. Running *very* hot, radiator was pinging /hissing after 15 miles! 2-part rad, copper-cored. $300 to re-core.

Needs left ball joints; count on rts, too. Electrical has been buggered up sometime during its life. No radio. Fuse box out (sensible, you can get to it if you leave it "out") and lots of burnt fuses in the dash and on the floor. Cab doors are bad rusted 1' up. Battery box isn't "too bad," but will be in another winter.

It is a shame that someone took such good care of the coach and let the chassis go. It's not shot, but it is a thousand dollars in repairs (frt end, cooling, brakes???) just to get it home so I can do the body work on the doors and get someone with sense deal with the electrical. Then the suspension...

Must think long and hard before spending on this one...

Thank you, PW79 and Master BD,for all the tips you gave me.
I would have been way behind the game without them.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
No - we need to replace 2 rims and haven't been able to find any without messed-up stud holes (even in the truck tire/rim junkyard around here)...so if you figure it out, let me know ๐Ÿ˜‰