cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
You NEED to share that site. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'd really like to put a splitter (racing term) and running boards on mine.

I'll be honest... I don't mind working on her, and I don't mind fixing things here and there, but the current project I'm neck deep in I'd REALLY rather not have to deal with. It has the motorhome pretty much unusable/undriveable since last fall. (Take several months out for winter) Something about completely gutting and rebuilding the back 6 feet of a 24 foot RV that seems a bit much.

Who knows though. After all this, plus a few more smaller structural repairs, I may be inclined (or forced) to keep her more than the original 5 or so years I envisioned.

After all this, if I ever get myself a pole barn... I may just someday buy myself a an empty chassis and build my own "house" on it properly. learning what I'm learning, and knowing how the things a build today. Seems to be the only way to really get one built to tight standards that will hold up.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
This is all FUN trouble! I really enjoy messing with this old junk! Call it a birth defect... ๐Ÿ˜‰

If I had a new one, I'd be afraid to do anything on it because of the $1000.00 a month payments on it!

These old beasts are cool because of their lack of sophistication and comfort! Camping in a cube van, that's where it's at! :B

BTW, I found a place that still sells the 70's era custom van spoilers and flares... let's see... spend money on new tires, or spend money on useles, but utterly kool spoilers/flares? Hmmm... decisions, decisions...
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Trish Davis wrote:

It's paid for up front but it eats money like it's a teenager,

T D ... now YOU have the wrong MH ! .... fix it ONCE - fix it RIGHT and be done with it !

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Trish Davis wrote:
It's paid for up front but it eats money like it's a teenager, not like it's heading into middle age...Until the next thing breaks.

Ah, but there's the rub. I have many friends who have brand new coaches. Who have to fix something new - at least one - every time they take it out. And the new stuff is that much more complicated and more expensive than anything on our rigs.

I'll stick with mine ๐Ÿ˜‰
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:
All ya'll are making me feel a bit better about my questionable purchase and the ensuing projects.

Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey, I have 2 things to say about buying an old RV like ours:

1) It's paid for.
2) Our projects keep us out of trouble.
:W

However. Ain't there always a "however".....

It's paid for up front but it eats money like it's a teenager, not like it's heading into middle age.

Maybe our projects keep us out of ordinary trouble, but present whole new kinds of trouble. Finding parts, sandblasting parts, making existing parts work, robbing parts off junkyard rigs, rewiring, replumbing, carpentry, tetanus shots, welding, rewiring (needs said twice), and the really sick thing is we are all proud of all the work we do.
Until the next thing breaks.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
All ya'll are making me feel a bit better about my questionable purchase and the ensuing projects.

Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey, I have 2 things to say about buying an old RV like ours:

1) It's paid for.

2) Our projects keep us out of trouble.

:W

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Anytime! :B

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:
Yes, he left the stuff in the rig. I promptly threw it away...

Smeared caulk is better than all the black duct tape holding the house together on this one! :B Yes, it's all getting repaired proper-like! ๐Ÿ˜‰

And I'll have some fresh, local brew to "assist" with the project, not the stale, open bottle of Jack or moldy Lite bottles I found in the fridge... :B

Oh, now there's a good mix....NOT.

Hmmm...fresh, local brew...note to self: visit PW sometime soon (during the warm months!) :B

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, he left the stuff in the rig. I promptly threw it away...

Smeared caulk is better than all the black duct tape holding the house together on this one! :B Yes, it's all getting repaired proper-like! ๐Ÿ˜‰

And I'll have some fresh, local brew to "assist" with the project, not the stale, open bottle of Jack or moldy Lite bottles I found in the fridge... :B

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
lol power... yeah my PO had bent up a bunch of stuff mainly on the passenger side, and then instead of actually fixing or replacing what had been damaged he just smeared silicon calk all over it and hoped it wouldn't leak.... wrong!! But little by little its coming together... should have it usable in a couple of months or so ......
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:

LOL! :B You should see my rig! Judging by all the beer and hooch bottles in her, I'd say my PO had a hard time seeing most everything! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Did the PO at least leave you enough of them to do something useful for the MH? ๐Ÿ™‚

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
ALnCORY wrote:
Yeah Eyeteeth: p.o. seemed to have problem seeing what was on the passenger side... anyway, lots to do but I'm making progress

LOL! :B You should see my rig! Judging by all the beer and hooch bottles in her, I'd say my PO had a hard time seeing most everything! ๐Ÿ˜‰

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah Eyeteeth: getting back to work on mine also, I am starting to reseal all my drip rails along with replacing the bent up pieces... p.o. seemed to have problem seeing what was on the passenger side... anyway, lots to do but I'm making progress
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
DeadeyeLefty wrote:
By black vapour barrier stuff, I assume you're referring to builder's paper ?('tar paper')

Nope, it's thick black plastic sheeting, located with the laminate flooring in home depot or lowe's.

I don't hear any hollow sound when walking in our motorhome and we used the cheap stuff (somewhere about $1/ft).