cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood74 wrote:
rehoppe wrote:

I take it that it's a microwave where the oven might have been? Interesting 'Delete'.

Yep. We have a small charcoal grill, a hot pot, a hot plate and a microwave. By taking out the oven we added counter space and when we need to cook we have enough options....unless of course we want to bake cookies or a frozen pizza:S

Enjoy the trip. ๐Ÿ˜„

Some years back I had an old Coleman PUP trailer. didn't have an oven, and the burners were only used for Coffee in the morning. We did all other cooking outside, and didn't have a need for 12v/ or 120vac inside. A bit more of the 'Roughing it', aspect but we/I liked it. Was almost exclusively a fishing rig, DW and DD were not interested in going for the most part. Used a 20# propane tank with a distribution pole, lantern on top, grill and twice burner, fed off the side ports. I had a 10'x12' freestanding awning that shelted the whole mess and allowed for outside cooking and lounging, in Most weather. PITA to set up and take down however.:B
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

WestBangorMI
Explorer
Explorer
To MMarieT RE:What did you use to seal the overhead cab section around the edges of the open area of the top of the cab....did you have a rubber seal or just caulking????? Also, inside the cab did you put in a overhead liner under that section???? And if you did, what materials did you use???

I found on my motor home that there was a piece of welting, vinyl like used in upholstery between the roof of the motor home and the upper bed bottom. I suppose a soft vinyl hose about 1/4 to 3/8" would be sufficient.
I used a sheet of fiberglass bathroom Kitchen paneling from Menard's It's about 26 dollars for a four by eight sheet. Glued it with flooring adhesive to the plywood bottom.
I cleaned the roof of the van just as if it were in the body shop, painted it and let it dry for several days.
I used the welting and 100 year silicone caulk. Since installing this I found that one should never use silicone anywhere on a MH. In this particular application I don't think there will be any conflict using the silicone.
I then used number eight pan head sheet metal screws and put them through predrilled holes through the steel of the motor home and into the bottom of the overhead.
After a few days I was washing the cab and decided to give the seal a try, with full pressure I was unable to find any water penetration spraying directly in the groove where the cab and overhead meet. I don't know if 50 pounds water pressure equals anything equivalent to a 70 MPH driving rain.
1977 Dodge 360 CB400
Country Squire

gdhillard
Explorer
Explorer

Further, the 1973 Executive.
Photos of my 1973 Executive are on the Flickr link.

gdhillard
Explorer
Explorer
Camping as we speak with the dog and the 14 year old daughter. Swapped the Coleman AC for a Fan-tastic unit, which will run off the solar/batteries system, helping us stay off the cord. Thrilled with the new fan. Quiet and powerful , drawing a nice breeze in the windows. Doesn't seem to draw much current either. I was shocked at how much the AC weighed! Carb contines to work perfectly. Thanks, again!

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Microwaveable pizza :B

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Rockwood74
Explorer
Explorer
rehoppe wrote:

I take it that it's a microwave where the oven might have been? Interesting 'Delete'.

Yep. We have a small charcoal grill, a hot pot, a hot plate and a microwave. By taking out the oven we added counter space and when we need to cook we have enough options....unless of course we want to bake cookies or a frozen pizza:S

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
rehoppe wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:
Our camper oven makes some of the best frozen pizzia we've had. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jus sayin'

I understand.... but did you Delete the Cooktop? My cooktop makes stuff as well. :?

Thus my comment 'interesting delete'. But I guess I could live without the burners, if I had a 'Nuker'. Since I don'e use the oven as much, it gets used for storage a lot.

LOVE PIZZA, but I'm not trying to gain more weight! :B

Still the original Magic Chef. Long day Friday's pizza is a great option )especially for the kids) when we get to the campsite and don't fell like cooking. er... grilling.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Grounds. Start anywhere and clean them for days until you're done.

A "double-barrel" 360? Is that a boxlock? ๐Ÿ˜‰

vaxination wrote:
so I've noticed a weird problem with my 75 sportsman chassis motorhome, the turn signals work fine during the day (no headlights) but when i pull the headlights on, one of the turn signals doesnt work. any idea why that would be or does anyone have the wiring diagram for that year van chassis?

gdhillard
Explorer
Explorer
I had to basically re-wire mine from the cab back. We had worn and shorted wires in the tail light set, corroded bulbs and sockets, corroded ground connections, and very cheesy clip connections in all the "house" section if the lights wiring. We set the whole light system -other than the head lights and front turn signals- on a new wiring set, ran the tail lights and all the running lights off a relay wired to the headlight switch, cleaned every socket, cut all the clip connections and soldered them instead, ran heavy ground straps to the frame, and finally have reliable lights that work. Thank goodness for a very good friend who spent three days with me doing all this.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Vax,

I forgot to mention to check the lamps and sockets for corrosion too. Most of mine were corroded. I used a battery terminal round wire brush to clean up the sockets and a regular wire brush to clean the lamps. A few lamps I just replaced. Then I coated everything with dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Vax,
I had to replace both my tail light assemblys when I bought my 74, I initially wired them up wrong. Turn signals worked during the day but with lights on they wouldn't work. When I got the wires in the proper sequence it all worked fine. TreeSeekers advice on grounding is good also as these rigs often have grounding problems that show up in odd ways.... good luck,
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
vaxination wrote:
...when i pull the headlights on, one of the turn signals doesnt work.

I would suspect bad wiring. If you have a flakey connection, then the additional draw of the headlights may be sucking up all the available power so the turn signal can't get enough power to work. Check all the wire connections to the headlights and the turn signals paying particular attention to the ground connections (these often get corroded).

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:

Jus sayin'

I understand.... but did you Delete the Cooktop? My cooktop makes stuff as well. :?

Thus my comment 'interesting delete'. But I guess I could live without the burners, if I had a 'Nuker'. Since I don'e use the oven as much, it gets used for storage a lot.

LOVE PIZZA, but I'm not trying to gain more weight! :B
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

vaxination
Explorer
Explorer
so I've noticed a weird problem with my 75 sportsman chassis motorhome, the turn signals work fine during the day (no headlights) but when i pull the headlights on, one of the turn signals doesnt work. any idea why that would be or does anyone have the wiring diagram for that year van chassis? (its B300 i believe) its a tioga if that helps. thanks guys sorry if this isnt the right forum for the issue! painting is coming along inside, covering up the old owners hideous taste in pastels is a slow but steady project on my days off. will post pictures or a blog soon!
1975 Dodge Sportsman 360 double barrel v8
500 watts of solar, 2k onan gennie
the never ending project ; ]

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer

Jus sayin'