cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Rehoppe,

I think you may have misunderstood--I did at first. Ipodhappy is selling the RV not considering buying it.

Ipodhappy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it was owned by my dad, who was a mechanic, don't think he ever had to rebuild engine or tranny, but he was good at keeping up with general maintenance. I unfortunately didn't pick up any of his skills and think this one would be better suited to some with way more knowledge than me. As for free, let's hope it doesn't come to that!

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Ipodhappy wrote:
I've been lurking on here for months while I fixed up my dad's old 1976 Dodge Brougham. I love it, but just not mechanically inclined enough to take it on longer trips--think I need something a little newer. Do you guys think this is a fair price or am I dreamin? I trust the opinions on here--especially you Leeann and Trish ๐Ÿ™‚

http://lexington.craigslist.org/rvs/3176078307.html

At 82k miles, I'd want my OWN mechanic to give it a thorough inspection. That generation of motor and tranny, get 'needy' before they arrive at 100K. Repairable, but expensive. Tranny and engine. Also have your guy change the differential fluid, looking for wear back there.

Looks like they've taken care of the Cosmetics,,,, but not so much the mechanical and structural?

If it needs an engine and tranny Overhaul, they need to pay you to take it.

If the cabover needs to be rebuilt,,, maybe just free?

Cosmetics don't count Unless they are useable. Be careful.

Looks nice though.:)
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

Ipodhappy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I really do like it. I have some good memories in it, that's probably why I listed it too high. Just can't put a price on those. I have had one guy say he wants to come see it, but if that doesnt work out, I will have to lower it. Does still have the 16.5 on, thus the need for two more on the front.
Thanks for the opinion.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a bit high, personally, but it does look really nice. See if you get any bites, but I think you need to be in the $2500-$2900 range.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Glenndolph
Explorer
Explorer
We paid $2250.00 for our '77 Jamboree.... the biggest difference is you have an awning and the entry door is in the rear, and ours is just behind the cab.... do you still have the 16.5's on her? I changed ours over to 16's before we left CA with it... ours has a 440 with a 727 ... we drove 3000+ miles with no problems, but I think the tranny is due for a service...

Ipodhappy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been lurking on here for months while I fixed up my dad's old 1976 Dodge Brougham. I love it, but just not mechanically inclined enough to take it on longer trips--think I need something a little newer. Do you guys think this is a fair price or am I dreamin? I trust the opinions on here--especially you Leeann and Trish ๐Ÿ™‚

http://lexington.craigslist.org/rvs/3176078307.html

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood74 wrote:
patsquatch73tioga ---I have a 74 B300 360 and while ungoing a recent tune up my mechanic noticed a very small hose attached to the transmission that had a leak as well. Not sure what it could be or if that info helps but there it is.

Sounds like a vacuum tube for 'down shift' control. When the vac gets low enough (when you step into the throttle), it downshifts. When it gets high enough it upshifts.

I'm assuming a 727 tranny?
Hoppe

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
No, No, I wouldn't do that! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Actually I would buy this myself if I hadn't just picked up the Chevy. I really like the setup. He's a little high, but for all the upgrades, it might be worth it.
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Really, no, you don't.
Travco side baths are miserably small. I'm 5' tall and there is no room in my Travco's side bath.
I have a rr bed 210 and would swap it for a rr bath in a heartbeat.

magik235 wrote:
Jer&Ger wrote:
Hi guys, thought I'd show what just showed up for sale here . Looks like a nice setup :C.

Nice Travco. I have been looking for one with the rear bed setup.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
You just wanted to see if I was still floating around, Jer.
Go on, admit it ... ;0)

Jer&Ger wrote:
Hi guys, thought I'd show what just showed up for sale here . Looks like a nice setup :C.

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
JoninFountain wrote:
rehoppe wrote:
JoninFountain wrote:
Did a tune up last week before our first trip this summer and it ran fine on the way down then on the way back towards the end of the run Brougham started bogging down and losing power, at first was mostly on the uphills, then towards the end of the trip just generally losing power.

I did plugs, oil filter, fuel filter, changed oil, cleaned up the carb a little bit, pcv valve....will be troubleshooting it this week, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Had a overheating issue last week, changed out the thermostat to a 165, flushed the system and no issues now. Don't know if that would affect the power.

Wondering about your fuel pump. What do your exhaust pipes look like? They real white/ash colored, and 'dry' looking?

Hopefully that's it and it's not a timing chain slopped.

exhaust looks dry as can be, mostly just reddish/rusty looking, not so much white or anything.

My brother was thinking fuel system too. maybe some sediment in the lines, the new filter I bought was different than the one that was on it. went from a long metal to a short plastic....and since it first started doing it on the uphills maybe a fuel feed issue.

Upside is I got my chiltons for it yesterday while I was camping =D

If I had to just go buy a part, I'd buy a fuel pump. Maybe the intank sock/filter. Check the level of the oil in the engine as well, if the fuel pump is on the crankcase and camshaft driven. That seal can fail and put gas in the crankcase. NOT good for the bearings.

There maybe an in line filter in the Carb inlet, that cam plug as well.
Hoppe

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Jer&Ger wrote:

Nice Travco. I have been looking for one with the rear bed setup.

JoninFountain
Explorer
Explorer
rehoppe wrote:
JoninFountain wrote:
Did a tune up last week before our first trip this summer and it ran fine on the way down then on the way back towards the end of the run Brougham started bogging down and losing power, at first was mostly on the uphills, then towards the end of the trip just generally losing power.

I did plugs, oil filter, fuel filter, changed oil, cleaned up the carb a little bit, pcv valve....will be troubleshooting it this week, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Had a overheating issue last week, changed out the thermostat to a 165, flushed the system and no issues now. Don't know if that would affect the power.

Wondering about your fuel pump. What do your exhaust pipes look like? They real white/ash colored, and 'dry' looking?

exhaust looks dry as can be, mostly just reddish/rusty looking, not so much white or anything.

My brother was thinking fuel system too. maybe some sediment in the lines, the new filter I bought was different than the one that was on it. went from a long metal to a short plastic....and since it first started doing it on the uphills maybe a fuel feed issue.

Upside is I got my chiltons for it yesterday while I was camping =D
78 Dodge Brougham Sportsman. MB400. 360 2bl.

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
JoninFountain wrote:

Hoppe