cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much to have road service change a tire??

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering the cost to have someone come out and change a tire on a Class A. The weight of my MH and the torque needed to tighten the lugs tells me I'm not doing this myself, while on the road. I currently have $100 tow/service reimbursement with my insurance.

I understand there will be a base mileage ( example: 1st 15 miles included), then so much per mile after. Just wanting to gauge the cost for something like this.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
15 REPLIES 15

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
The cost of towing or fixing tires:
I am not clear why I would need to know the actual price of towing and/or changing/fixing tires that is charged by a towing company Unless! I did not have or chose not to have a Emergency Road Side Service plan like Good Sam offers or Coach Net. The charges are negotiated between the Towing/tire repair business and the ERS provider i.e. Good Sam. There may be some exceptional situations where there might be additional charges. For example, in Ariz. my truck's fuel pump quit working 50 miles from the nearest Dodge dealer. The Tow driver unhocked my trailer, pulled my truck up onto his flat bed, hitched my trailer to the back of his truck, towed me to the dealer, un hooked my trailer, off loaded the truck, rehooked my trailer and drove the trailer 15 miles to our RV resort, pulled into the park and backed up my trailer right into our reserved RV site. He then apologized because he had to charge me $1 per mile:):):). I gave the driver a $50 dollar tip and was happy to do so. In another tow service event where the driver had to wench the trailer up on a flat bed truck ( the rear spring broke and wheels were pushed together), then tow the trailer 25 miles to nearest facility that could fix the problem. Out of curiosity, I asked the driver how much the bill would have been if I would have had to pay out of my pocket---$1200. Glad I had Good Sam, I paid nothing!!!!!!

pointrow
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have Coach.net now I have used them 5 times and no charge.
You can figure $100-$500 per call depending on location and what customer will bear.
Good luck

pointrow

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
I paid right at $500 to replace 2 19.5's on I40. I was 9 miles from AZ, heading east. The mobile tire service had stores in Bullhead City, Needles, and Kingman. I believe the guys that came out where from Bullhead City. My 1st purchase after I got home was a TPMS.

Tires were about $300, so the service fee was about $200. Progressive would've sent a tow, but wouldn't send a tire service or help me find one. I now have Good Sam ERS.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call a commercial truck service / tire store and ask the rates. Most people are insulated from the real cost by Good Sam, Coachnet roadside plans. As a former truck driver I can tell you it ain't cheap. Of more concern than changing a tire ... is towing , if you need towing and don't have coverage keep a credit card with a good size credit line open!
Bill

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
This is my 40th year RVing and I can't answer your question because I never experienced it! All I know is I would let my RV insurance handle it and the picnic would begin!

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
The cost would vary according to time, day of the week and even location.
Monday through Friday during the day in a metropolitan area gets you lots of services willing to come out. 2:30 AM Sunday morning on a lonely route out west you will have few choices which will increase prices dramatically.
Call a couple of 18 wheeler service shops and ask how much to change a tire on Sunday morning. Gauge from there
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
True, no one answered his question, but the reality is that it's cheaper to buy something like CoachNet for one year than it would be to pay for just one blow out, out of pocket. I think an out of pocket road service call for an RV could easily be $150.00-$200.00 depending on how far you are from the service facility.

dutch did sort of quote:
the tire service guy said he would have had to charge me about $250 due to the labor and travel time involved.
so it would be based on travel distance and time

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
True, no one answered his question, but the reality is that it's cheaper to buy something like CoachNet for one year than it would be to pay for just one blow out, out of pocket. I think an out of pocket road service call for an RV could easily be $150.00-$200.00 depending on how far you are from the service facility.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Hmmm. No one actually answered your question. You might call a couple of tire stores that do roadside tire service on large vehicles and ask what their charges would be for the tire change plus mileage. I doubt the $100 would cover it.

dutch did sort of quote:
the tire service guy said he would have had to charge me about $250 due to the labor and travel time involved.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Hmmm. No one actually answered your question. You might call a couple of tire stores that do roadside tire service on large vehicles and ask what their charges would be for the tire change plus mileage. I doubt the $100 would cover it.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you shop and do some comparison for Emerengcy Road Side Services policies. With my Good Sam ERS policy, i have never had to pay for tire services and have not had to pay any $$$ milage per service call. I have had tows up approx. 100 miles:)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coach-Net has paid for the two times I've called them for a tire change using a mounted spare over the years. The last time, the tire service guy said he would have had to charge me about $250 due to the labor and travel time involved.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fortunately I've never been at the mercy of someone while on the road. I have a local redneck tire guy/friend that will change my truck tires for $35 if only one and $20 each for 4-8 tires when he comes to my shop. Over the years we have changed a bunch of tires together.

While on the road I would expect to pay $1/mile plus $35 to change an outside tire or $50 for a inside tire... $100 minimum.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-net since 2001. First tire problem was a slow leak. Called them. They asked if i could drive the coach....I said yes. They called me back in about 10 minits, had made an appointment for me at a truck stop tire store about 18 miles from my house. Went there. The tire store charged me about 35 bucks to fix tire. I had no problem.

Second time, years later, was a blow out east of El Paso, Texas. Of course, it was a rear, inside tire. Called Coach-net, long story short, they got a tire service to come out to me...changed the tire (I had a spare) right there, no charge. Back on the road in 2 hours. Gave the guy a good tip. He deserved it.

Still with Coach-net, BTW.....