cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How safe is the dealer with your stuff?

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
Being new to MH, I'm dropping my new MH off at the dealer for warranty work in a few hrs. and was wondering do you empty everything out or certain things or nothing at all? I've taken out grille, tools but left in my box of electrical stuff and cables along with my sewer and water hoses etc. Are things safe there? I'd hate to have to take everything out... and then put it back in in a week
Thoughts?
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5
23 REPLIES 23

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-timers travel with everything they own. Do you think they remove everything? Take out your valuables. That's it. Do you have insurance on your belongings? Stuff can be replaced however, in 16 years of full-timing we've never had anything stolen while in a rv shop, campground or boondocking in the real boonies.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
Can you elaborate on your camera setup? Thanks.

SmartThings hub with Sensor Devices and Netgear Arlo Pro Cameras.

www.smartthings.com
www.arlo.netgear.com
Todd & Victri
"Looking for the perfect spot and points in-between"
2017 Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty 4x4
2017 KZ Durango Gold G380FLF 40ft
800W Solar | Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 | Aims 3000W Inverter Charger

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than my meds, guns and my wife, I don't worry about the other "stuff" cuz that's all it is to me..."stuff"...:) Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Have brought camper in for service many times. Have always left items in camper TV's, clothes, food in frig, paperwork. its our second home we cant empty an entire trailer just to have a part repaired or replaced. if you don't trust the you service tech's or repair shop.... don't go there
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most deales have a signe or 20 that says "Not responsible" ...

Most lawyers might tell you what that sign is worth (Very little).

And that is all I can say. Of course your millage (or the value of that sign) may vary from state to state.. due to differeing consumer protection laws.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I worked at a rural rv dealership and and we had guard dogs to roam at night. caught a few guys trying to break in and the dogs let them know they were not welcome there. if you are going to leave your rv overnight, protect yourself, take the stuff out. not everyone has guard dogs like we did. we also hired a young couple to park their RV out there and live on the lot. It was so funny one night only the woman was there and she scared the heck out of the deputies who showed up during a non welcome group of southern boys. the boys weren't too happy either

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
WackAway wrote:
Quick answer)
Ditto to what DutchmenSport said.

Long answer)
I too had the same question while my rig was going into service for the first time. What I found out later was definitely an eye opening experience.

I had previously installed "always on" internet and several devices that work with SmartThings Hub. I put in motion sensing cameras, leak detectors, open close sensors and smart lighting. I didn't specifically outfit the rig to monitor the service center, but Boy, did I learn first hand what goes on. And all was caught on camera with audio!

Things I saw:
1. RV Shoppers entering rig and going through drawers and cupboards. Nothing taken, but got to listen to interesting conversations, including "I can't believe they just leave people's RV's unlocked".

2. After getting a bathroom leak alert on my phone I turned on the camera to see the kitchen sink running and no one in the rig. I had written up that my grey tank level indicator was not working so they were filling the tank. I called the service center and told them about getting the alert. I watched on the camera to see a tech finally run in and shut off the water. Turns out he forgot about water running, probably went on lunch, and the grey tank overflowed into shower stall and out onto the floor. For 15 minutes. 😞

3. I also got to see how much, or how little time was spent actually working on my rig. One time I had to leave my rig for 8 days, while the actual time working on it was only about 10 hours.

4. And finally... I did see one tech go through some of the cabinets. He did not take anything, but it looked like he was looking for an opportunity.

After all the above, I wrote a letter to the Service Manager and we had a "conversation". He seemed very embarrassed and vowed to take corrective actions. We'll see....

But, maybe the best outcome is that now the service techs know they're being monitored and even wave to the cameras. It also seems that they take better care of the "Guy that has the cameras".

By the way, I go to pick up my rig from service later today. I reviewed the camera clips last night and no issues from this time in the service center.
Can you elaborate on your camera setup? Thanks.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have placed a locking devise on the bed that raises and always place any valuables under and lock it if it is not possible to remove the items while in for service. I also have hidden safes that are locked. It will take a criminal act to open either without permission.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I know it's common practice to leave your unit for service. There are two places where we routinely have service done. One is Charger Enterprises in Elkhart and the other at Tiffin in Red Bay. Either place, we make an appointment and it is in/out in a relatively short time. Even at Charger, we make an appointment and it normally is done that day. We full time and both places know we live in our motorhome. We have parked, plugged in, at both places. I would not leave it anywhere for a week. Especially fulltiming, we have everything in it.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Not an RV, but we had a car in for service once, that was stolen out of the dealers "secure" back lot. It was found one morning by the police burning behind a discount store. Reason it was at the dealer's was for, it was running about a mile and shutting down, the store was a mile away from the dealer. Dealer didn't know it was gone when called after being contacted by her the next day, 12 hours after we were contacted by the police 24 hours after it was found. She was told "it would be done tomorrow." She advised of theft. Dealer said "turn it in to your insurance", we said "no". 3 months later, the day after our attorney contacted the owner of the dealership with his intention to go to jury trail and would be subpoenaing the records of purchase and selling prices of all used cars for the months since ours had been stolen, by his dealership. The dealer sent us a check for the purchase price from a year before and our attorney's time, that day.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Navyskcs I feel your pain, but in this case CW is within reason, rare I know. Had you parked in any parking lot and been hit by any passing vehicle your recourse would be that person's insurance. I see no real difference in the CW parking lot, UNLESS the passing driver was a CW vehicle mover in which case of course they would be liable. Once CW takes possession of your vehicle and moves it about, it is their responsibility, but not before that.
Please note IANAL (I am not a lawyer), I just play one for kicks now and then.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Navyskcs
Explorer
Explorer
I took my FW in for warranty work and got a call to days later from CW that someone had wrecked the front of my trailer. I asked CW what they were going to do and was told that they are not liable for any damage if I leave it in their parking lot while waiting for the work to be done. I was lucky as the person that hit my trailer (cracked the front cap) left his insurance card. I was a little peeved. Final out come is I took it to another dealer to get repaired the cost over $4000 for a new cap. I will not go back to CW for repair work if I can help it.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
In almost every service/repair facility I have ever been/worked in there is a sign that says something to the effect of . . . DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR VEHICLE or NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR STOLEN ITEMS.

Do what you want. Without substantial evidence of theft, you WILL LOSE in court should you decide to sue.

Chum lee