Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to keep Chassis batteries from dying w/genset on

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all:
I have a 2005 Mandalay 40E and have had many issues of going for a 2 day/2 night tailgating trip with generator running only to have my chassis batteries dead at the end of the trip. Looking at turning chassis batteries to disconnect, I see that my generator appears to be powered by the chassis batteries because if I disconnect that, the genset turns off. So, would an Xantrac echo charger or some type of trickle charge stop the drain on the chassis for a couple of days? Trying to figure this out and I am NOT handy. Thanks all.
Trish

Tricia and Tom

:B

2005 Mandalay 40E 400HP cummins/Freightliner in Sapphire blue.
22 REPLIES 22

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Providing your charging system for your house batteries is functioning properly and charging your house batteries, purchase a "Amp-L-Start" around $50 bucks. Simple install and will keep chassis batteries charged. I have used the "Tric-L-Start" earlier version of amp-l-start with lower capacity, but have never had a dead battery again for 9 years.
Blessings; Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Not cheap, but the BEST solution is get rid of your converter/charger and get a inverter/charger with automatic transfer switch like Samlex EVO. It has inputs for both shore power and generator power and will keep your batteries charged.

No converter need. Hook the chassis batteries directly to the DC power distribution panel.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
My generator starts and runs from the chassis batteries only. A previous unit started and ran only from the house batteries. The 120 current from the greater goes to your converter which feeds the 12v house system. You can either provide for an interconnection for when it is needed or switch your generator over to the house system.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Doug said!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Gensets do NOT charge any batteries at all. They charge the appropriate battery bank from the battery systems charge system,
2. Some OEM's use a 120 volt battery minder/tender and connect to the chassis batteries to keep them charged when the genset is running and also when plugged into shore power
3. Some OEM's have a BIRD(Bi Directional system) that closes a relay to charge BOTH battery banks when on Genset or Shore Power.
4. The reason your chassis went dead is simple. It takes 12 volts constant supply to run the Genset and while it was running and since the chassis batteries are the batteries that start the genset, it slowly drained the batteries.
5. Odds are you do have a dual(BIRD) type system and is not working. Doug

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Amp L Start is another product that is easy to install. I was lucky that my House and the Chasis batteries were close to each other.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isn't your generator hooked up to the power (shore) power? Your converter should keep your batteries fully charged. At least that is how it worked with my Toyota class C that I recently sold.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like something may be broken. My genset charges both battery banks, it doesn't kill them.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4