cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Make the Leap

Adirondacker
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose I am trying to gauge if I am thinking rationally or a bad case of cabin fever...

I am thinking about making the leap from pulling a pop-up camper to a Class A motor home. I have been able to set my business up where I am able to manage it from home a good portion of time. With a decent cell phone signal or wifi I can do most of my work. As I approach 50 years of age, I think I do not want to wait until I am retired to see the country.

Most of my travel will limited to Summer and school holidays since my kids still have a few years left.

I am looking into possibly buying a used Class A that could sleep us and two dogs. Maybe in the range of less than $70,000.

I am wondering if I am thinking irrationally here.

Did any of you make the leap before you retired?
Did most of you start with smaller RV's or travel trailers?

What are my pitfalls?

I already have a place to park it when not being used. I am a hands-on kind of guy who can turn wrenches when needed. Can much of the maintenance be done DIY?

Can I expect a halfway decent Diesel pusher for <$70K?

Should I be concerned with a rig that has approx 100k in mileage? Or would years old be more of a concern?

Anyhow, I would appreciate any thoughts to help gauge my level of sanity. Thanks.

John
John
1999 Coleman Bayside Pop Up
2007 Chevy Suburban
2002 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab 4x4 with 7.3 PSD
24 REPLIES 24

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
We did tents long ago...
Then a gasser.
and now a DP for the past 4 years.

The DP is amazing. Smooth. Quiet. Fast and easy to setup. Totally self contained for up to a week is "Setting up" is too much bother.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

SoCal_Kevin
Explorer
Explorer
We transitioned from a popup directly to our 40ft diesel. Although I love my motorhome, there are tradeoffs. For me, camping in the PU was more fun in some ways(and much more total sleeping capacity) but traveling in the MH is no comparison... its waaaayyyy better. Especially if you're on the road for a long trip where you will need to overnight on the way. Much more convenient and comfortable in every way.

If your budget is $70K I would suggest your purchase price be no more than $60-$65K. I guarantee you will have a "to do" list, and it will take some $$$. In fact, your MH will become a perpetual to do list of big and little fixes and upgrades. Budget accordingly.

When I was looking I did extensive research. My budget was $50K. Although I actually had some RV sales guys laugh in my face when I told them I wanted a diesel for $50K or less, my final purchase was 20% less than my budget and I got what was a top of the line unit, just 15 years old at the time. That said, many of the amenities in my MH are still on par with much newer MH's with the exception of slides. So, depending on your wants and needs, you can find something to suit what you are looking for.

Good luck in your search.
SoCal Kevin
1995 HR Navigator
M11 400 Cummins
Allison HD 4060
Ready Brute Towbar; 2000 Suburban Toad

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our DP when I was 50 It was the best unit I could have hoped for and my DW and I saw a great amount of this country. All of this happened as we worked through our own business keeping in contact with customers while still enjoying some fairly long road trips. The MH IMHO is the fastest to set up and take down and allows a lot of convenience when traveling. A DP with 100,000 on it and on a good chassis is no problem. I would stay away from gassers on the GM and Ford platforms with 100,000 miles on them.
I used the Verizon MIFI for my internet and always had a secure web experience. Use park wifi when just screwing around online.
We are now headed towards more of a full retirement and we think our camping will be more destination for 2-4 weeks at a time so we have moved into a 3 slide TT Using the TV for our excursions.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Adirondacker wrote:
I appreciate all the good feedback.

I had previously ruled out getting a gasser since I anticipate doing a lot of mountain driving. But there seems to be some good reasons listed as to why I should leave it as a possibility.

Have any of you with gassers had any trouble climbing up or down hills/mountains? I hate the idea of being the guy causing the back-up going up the switch-backs...

I would probably go DP if I could afford it, with what I've read about quietness in the "cab" and ride. But on our budget the gasser V10 will probably be it, and it's no slouch from what I know (Ford guy here...)

I'll echo the previous comment about delam. Be very careful not to get one with issues. My first TT and then 5er had no issues. My next 5er had all sorts of delam issues. You don't want to have to deal with that.

Lastly about switchbacks ... no matter what your rig you'll probably cause a backup ๐Ÿ™‚ We go to mountain destinations and in particular one place where there's a few miles of 25mph and less switchbacks to get to the top. My "old" F250 has enough grunt to make the climb with out 10k 5er - even with the 6% and higher grades - but it's cornering speed that makes the difference. Smaller, lower CG vehicles are going to have an easier time making it around the curves. So I wouldn't sweat it. You're in a big rig, drive at a comfortable speed for you and be safe.

Having said that I do on occasion catch up to car drivers who are far less comfortable on the mountain roads than I am with my truck and camper ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would go for it. I purchased the pusher a few years before I retired. When I retired, we moved and I lived in it for 3 months while the house was being built. We have enjoyed every year we have had and have gone on many great adventures when I was working full time. After having the diesel pusher for a few years now, I really like the ride and the exhaust brake when going down hills. You can buy a good diesel pusher for the money you have to spend. Just be sure to really inspect it yourself and/or get a professional to go over it.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 32' rexhall with the Ford V-10 before I got the current DP. The gasser actually accelerated much faster than the DP, and it could climb hills just as fast, if not faster than the DP. You can get underpowered DP's too and load them down and have trouble with hill climbing just like you can do with a gasser. The trick is just make sure you have enough power for the size of the rig and what you want to do with it. If you're planning on a towing 15,000 pounds of stuff in a car hauler trailer behind you, then you probably want a DP with a big engine. Otherwise a gasser will probably do everything you want.

One of the main reasons people pick a DP over a gasser is because the ride is so much nicer with the air ride suspension of a DP over most gas motorhomes. Drive both and see for yourself.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Adirondacker
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the good feedback.

I had previously ruled out getting a gasser since I anticipate doing a lot of mountain driving. But there seems to be some good reasons listed as to why I should leave it as a possibility.

Have any of you with gassers had any trouble climbing up or down hills/mountains? I hate the idea of being the guy causing the back-up going up the switch-backs...
John
1999 Coleman Bayside Pop Up
2007 Chevy Suburban
2002 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab 4x4 with 7.3 PSD

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Adirondacker wrote:
I suppose I am trying to gauge if I am thinking rationally or a bad case of cabin fever...

I am thinking about making the leap from pulling a pop-up camper to a Class A motor home. I have been able to set my business up where I am able to manage it from home a good portion of time. With a decent cell phone signal or wifi I can do most of my work. As I approach 50 years of age, I think I do not want to wait until I am retired to see the country.

Most of my travel will limited to Summer and school holidays since my kids still have a few years left.

I am looking into possibly buying a used Class A that could sleep us and two dogs. Maybe in the range of less than $70,000.

What are my pitfalls?

I already have a place to park it when not being used. I am a hands-on kind of guy who can turn wrenches when needed. Can much of the maintenance be done DIY?

Should I be concerned with a rig that has approx 100k in mileage? Or would years old be more of a concern?

Anyhow, I would appreciate any thoughts to help gauge my level of sanity. Thanks.

John

we lept from staying at motels to a 26' class A gasser (1985 Winnebago Chieftain) and have never looked back. floor plan...floor plan...floor plan should be the mantra. once you've found a FP you like then have the chassis/engine/tranny checked over by a qualified mechanic and, if possible, have the coach itself inspected by a qualified service tech. you want to pay particular attention to roof leaks, wall delamination, etc. what would you do if you were buying a used TT? other than having an engine and transmission it's not that much different buying a used MH.

take your time...there's no rush.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on what I've seen out there you can get a really nice used DP for $70k. But the real answer to your question is it all depends on what you want. I personally have a DP that I bought when I was about 44 I think it was. we have used it since then on mostly shorter trips within 500 miles from home. We did one long half-way across the country and back trip in two weeks. Looking back, I probably didn't need a DP. I probably would have been better off with a travel trailer. But I didn't have a need for and I didn't want a big pickup as a daily driver. So we got the DP. I'm retired now but the wife isn't so we still mostly use it for shorter trips.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I have cabin fever too. Yesterday I went out to the storage lot. Got in my 40' DP, turned on the furnace, and just sat there for a while. Then I cranked the cummins and she fired right up and settled immediately to a low clatter....

I remembered a couple years ago when we wanted to go somewhere in the early spring and the jacks were frozen to the ground, so I hit the retract button. Sure enough, one was stuck. I got 5 gallons of hoy water and got 'er free'd up. I put the Allison in D and moved her forward a foot to make sure she wasn't stuck.

Then I shut everything down and locked the door. But I feel much better now.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adirondacker wrote:

Good advise you should listen to it.

I would start looking. Be prepared to travel to get exactly what you want. Start looking on line to get a feel of pricing and what is out there. Go look at as many as you can till you find a floor plan that works for you then start looking for one with that floor plan in your price range.

I don't think so. Tell people you are doing "STRATEGIC PLANING"

What are my pitfalls?

I think the biggest pitfall would be not doing your do diligence in inspecting an used coach and understanding possible problems to look for. If you aren't shure what to look for hire a expert to go over it with you. This will also teach you what to look for.

Yes, You are lucky as this will save you $$$$ over having to take it to a shop or have someone come out for simple stuff like a leaky faucet or the wiper blades are bad. I understand those who aren't mechanical or who can't do it any more.
If you can change the oil and filters on your other cars and trucks you will be fine.

Yes but you will have to look. The main problem is getting financing on 10+ year old rigs.

90% of the coaches will have less mileage. I bet you will find a lot of coaches with less than 50K But if you found "THE FLOOR PLAN" I would follow the advise above and do a thorough inspection. I would be les concerned with a 10 year old rig with 100K and good maintenance records than a 10 year old coach with 20,000 miles.

You sane pretty sane to me.

John

As to internet access I have a hot spot for when the parks wifi isn't good. There are other options as you know.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Mr-MrsPete
Explorer
Explorer
I was in much the same thought as you. The DW and I want to travel but we are both still working full time. I love my job and travel a lot but my wife only has a 10 mile commute. We pulled the trigger in Oct. and bought a 3 yr. hold over for a very good price. Our thought was let's pay for it now while we are still working. I wanted a diesel also but we were going to have to buy an older one due to our budget. Then we found this Thor Seronna 33 ft. with a front end diesel. We test drove it and found it to be what we think we want. It is so hard to know what you want when you actually have not lived it as yet. So worse case senario we will use it, find out our likes and dislikes, then go from there. My suggestion, "Go for it! You only live once!"

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I am 56 years old and I work with a guy who's 73 years old (he works part time) and he and his wife have a motorhome. Before we bought ours I was asking him lots of questions about his motorhome and even went and looked at it. He told me the best advice I can give you is "don't wait until your my age to buy one". All though I had big knots in my stomach when we bought ours, turned out to be the best advice we got. My wife and I purchased a 2014 Thor ACE 30.1 starter motorhome and love it. Thought we needed a little more room so we have a 2015 Allegro on order which should be here next month. ๐Ÿ™‚ So the best advice I can think of to give you is the advice I was given " Don't wait until your to old to do it" ๐Ÿ˜„

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm four years away from retirement eligibility and I dove in head-first. A deal presented itself and I went for it. I'm learning along the way, but I love challenges and I love learning new things.

As for your personal situation, I would only advise that you do your research on floor plans and know what will accommodate your family's needs. You are going to be sitting/sleeping in it much more than you'll be driving down the road. As for the age-old question about diesel vs. gasoline? I have a gasser...I'd love to have a diesel, but no more than I can use it now, (with still being employed full-time), the extra costs were not justifiable for my budget nor for my travel needs. The quickest way to kill a diesel engine is to not use it. You can find some really nice gassers out there that will more than adequately do what you want and will be lesser expensive to maintain in the long run. So my advice is don't limit your options on what's available by only looking at DPs.

Good luck to you! And for the record, I say GO FOR IT!!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------