cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to protect your animals left in RV...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I travel with three small dogs. We often have to leave them in the MH when we are away going to dinner or making other runs where taking the dogs is not possible. Been concerned about what would happen to them (the dogs) should my wife and I be involved in an automobile accident or some other event in which we might be unable to inform anyone about the dogs back in the MH. Do any of you animal owners have concerns like this about your 'kids' and, if so, do you have a means devised to protect them in the event of your inability to make it back to the RV? Would appreciate your thoughts about this. Thanks! / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
16 REPLIES 16

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ductape you better look closer---sometimes they even post the violations on the TV news.....I once saw them break the window of an SUV and remove the 2 dogs + site the driver in a Walmart parking lot....Dog will die quick in a hot car so be careful. After all they are our children aren't they? Shouldn't need a law people should know better.

Alphamonk
Explorer
Explorer
Someone on one of these forums mentioned a camera that they installed that could be accessed from their smart phone. As I remember, it was not expensive and sounded like a great idea.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
i don't know how ICE would help - my phones are locked when not in use (for security / loss prevention & to prevent pocket dialing)

New iphone Operating System 8 update includes a "Health" app. and a "Medical ID" that includes all you health info and contacts and can be accessed when the phone is locked...
Medical ID article
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

Gunner45
Explorer
Explorer
catkins wrote:
We carry a small piece of paper with our wallet ID that shows where we are currently staying including site # with the dog info as well and keep our regular family contact info close by. Has just become part of our to dos upon arrival to change the info out.

I like this idea ๐Ÿ™‚

We have a sticker that says rescue pets for our window just like we do at home.

pompomgirl
Explorer
Explorer
We have static cling stickers on both sides near the front of our coach that say in case of emergency please save our pets, with the number and type of pets. They are red, with a drawing of a dog on them, and can be purchased at most pet supply stores. Also, both dogs have our cell number on their tags. Hadn't thought about an accident - note in wallet is a great idea.

Another thing about accidents - many couples have each other as emergency contact. This doesn't help if both are in injured in the accident, We had friends who were both in comas after an accident and emergency and hospital personnel had no idea who to call. Relatives were in a panic for weeks until one of them woke up. Have someone in your emergency information in addition to your spouse.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
tjfogleberg don't leave them in your car unattended in NC as it is aginst the law even if you can see them. And they do enforce it. RVs on the other hand are ok as long as the heat or air is on....this is a good question as my dog goes everywhere the RV goes.

You might want to look up that law as I did. I don't see that.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
tjfogleberg don't leave them in your car unattended in NC as it is aginst the law even if you can see them. And they do enforce it. RVs on the other hand are ok as long as the heat or air is on....this is a good question as my dog goes everywhere the RV goes.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
i don't know how ICE would help - my phones are locked when not in use (for security / loss prevention & to prevent pocket dialing)
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Papasmurf10
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a phone numbers in your cell phone ICE(in case of emergency). Just make sure whoever you have there knows where you are staying and your pet situation so they can notify the campground. This is where emergency responders look for this type of information.
2008 Ford F-350 Laredo
2009 Montana 1465

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Have an idea though maybe not a good one. Using "ice" on phone is getting popular. Update phone which current location and pets in motorhome? Good to use in addition to paper card.

Barbara_Atlinbu
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
My wife and I travel with three small dogs. We often have to leave them in the MH when we are away going to dinner or making other runs where taking the dogs is not possible. Been concerned about what would happen to them (the dogs) should my wife and I be involved in an automobile accident or some other event in which we might be unable to inform anyone about the dogs back in the MH. Do any of you animal owners have concerns like this about your 'kids' and, if so, do you have a means devised to protect them in the event of your inability to make it back to the RV? Would appreciate your thoughts about this. Thanks! / Larry

We are leaving on our first voyage in our new rv in 2 weeks so this was good question for us as well. We have one dog that is our family now that the 2 legged ones are grown.

After reading this I will make it a point to email each of my 2 kids every day with the location, lot number and main phone number of the campground we are staying at. We already have laminated emergency contact info cards we carry 24/7 with our kids cell numbers on them.

Thank you for asking this question. We hadn't thought about this possible situation before and now we can address it before we travel.

Barbara

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This would probably help to inform people at the RV Park, in the case of fire or other event that happens when you are not present:
Just hang the sign outside your door when you are going to be away.
We have also let the RV park owner know that we have a dog in the coach and that we will be gone for a period of time during the day so that they are aware of our daily travel plans.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
good idea about the "current" location/pet info in the wallet. we also keep a collar on our old english sheep dog when we travel (the collar has identifying info/phone numbers) - i figure in the event of an issue where our dog runs (accident) or becomes separated from us, someone will know how to get a hold of us.

as for the sticks and bricks...ive got neighbors that know us well enough to know we have a dog.

regarding the dog in the coach -

I have a sign that i put in the window (red construction paper with YELLOW letters on it) "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY CALL: xxx.xxx.xxxx"

I also recently installed a generator auto-start. The autostart will start the generator if shore power is lost and the temperature in the coach gets "too hot" or "too cold" (user programable). The auto-start will also start the generator if the batteries get "too low"
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
The same thing can happen in your S&B (wheel-less house). What are your arrangements in that case?
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road