cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to test drive a Class A ??

bcforce
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Montana 5th wheel, and the wife and I are considering going to a Class A. We know what it is like to live in the RV, but have never even ridden in a Class A. What is the best way to get a test drive? Do dealers do that??
24 REPLIES 24

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. When we bought our first RV 11 years ago the dealer drove us to a local stadium then let me drive. He didn't know me so I fully understand. I've been pulling trailers and driving trucks since before it was legal to do so. Took the whee and in half a minute he was relaxed and we then went out on the highway. Fast Forward to last year, we traded up to a DP. Since I arrived at the gathering in a Class A they were a little less apprehensive. One thing however that I feel they should have done is to have given a bit more info on Air Brakes. They aren't the same as hydraulic and you can screw up.

The big things we noticed was noise level, it was missing! The second thing was the ride, Air ride VS Springs. Much smoother. For us floor plan was critical, we were going to have a bunkhouse, this is our third so that was no issue. What we were looking at was could we get to the head with the slide in? Could we sleep in the master bed with the slides in? Could we get to food and eat with the slides in?

If this is your first 'A' you need to consider floor plan, engine, OAL. Seating positions. SIT AT THE TABLE, Stretch out on the sofa, look at the TV, can you? Try to do a day in the life in an hour. If you can't stand to sit at the table, if the sofa is 6" too short, and so on, better to find it out before you buy.

For your test drive, try to get at least half an hour. Freeway, Two Lane, side road, at least one that is not a perfectly smooth flat road, you want a bit of road crown. Windy day? Better yet.

Don't be afraid to walk off, come back another day and compare what you thought to what you see on day two.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
bcforce wrote:
I currently have a Montana 5th wheel, and the wife and I are considering going to a Class A. We know what it is like to live in the RV, but have never even ridden in a Class A. What is the best way to get a test drive? Do dealers do that??

What we did. Decided to go from a Montana Fifth Wheel/2500 Silverado HD to a Class A. Shopped locally with no results. Found the one on eBay, in Birmingham, AL. Flew down.

It Was The One. Took it on a test ride/drive. In the first mile of ever driving a Class A, went from 0 - 70 crusing MPH. Very stable ride. Exited the freeway, drove through urban, then residential and was at absolute comfort and confidence the whole way. You just have to remember where the turning occurs - behind your butt.

Since then, have put the rig through its paces with full competent confidence. Drive five seconds ahead of yourself, keep a steady pace, and just do it.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
We ran into this question just last Friday. We were at the PPL lot in Cleburne to take a closer look at two coaches that fit our requirements. We sat down with a salesman to ask the very same question. His response was that they had no problems with a test drive. They did have a prescribed route though. I told him I'd be willing to drop $50 on fuel just so that we could head the 45 or so miles west on US Hwy 67 to tackle Chalk Mountain and see how the RV does on grade.

I am slightly intimidated by the Class A RV. Not that I haven't had experience with larger units. We regularly haul hay, equipment and cattle. But, I am used to having the tow vehicle shorter than the trailing unit. When we get our 30 to 34 foot coach, either of the two Wranglers would not even be half the length of the coach, and I am having problems seeing the dynamics of cornering in the tight areas we routinely see - which would be the ubiquitous courthouse square in the county seat every smaller Texas highway must pass through. And it seems that the highway you're following always has to make a right turn when you get to the courthouse (TX 144 to TX 6 in Meridian, southbound - TX 144 at Glen Rose, northbound, and anywhere through Hillsboro!).
I am not intimidated by the bulk of the RV and toad, I routinely haul loads that exceed most diesel coach weights (gross, with diesel PU, 30' dovetail, lotsa hay). I guess that I will spend time maneuvering around the parking lot and general area before I set out for a long haul.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be looking for a different dealership. Try some that have some used coaches.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Debx77 wrote:
We are trying to decide if we like the class a or c but if they don't let us test drive them then how are we supposed to decide

Florida highways are too packed with snowbirders to test drive safely. ๐Ÿ™‚ Try another state!

Seriously though, I wonder if it's all dealers in Florida or just the two you inquired about. I think I'd call on some others. Probably LazyDaze would let you. They get a lot of lookers.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Debx77
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying to decide if we like the class a or c but if they don't let us test drive them then how are we supposed to decide

Debx77
Explorer
Explorer
We have asked 2 dealerships so far and they have said no both times

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
I chose to drive a smaller one first, a 34 or 36 ft Itasca, yes I was a bit nervous at first but all went fine. Then we drove a 40 ft Tuscany which we ended up buying. We also went from a 5th wheel to a motorhome and we are happy with our decision, we love our Tuscany. Good luck!
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are in CA, keep in mind over 40 foot and you are supposed to have a class B license. The CA DMV still calls it a "house car" license.

The very first time I drove a large class A was a 40' Bluebird DP. I was at a large RV show in the middle of a big city. I had driven many class C motorhomes before, one 5,000 miles and one small 32' class A 2,500 miles. All of those were easy. The class A Bluebird on a packed crowded street and then straight on a busy freeway terrified me. I just did not have a feel for the size of the rig. My point is that I would recommend you test drive for the first time in a less crowded area. After an hour it feels comfortable.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they will let you test drive them. I'd strongly recommend, testing driving several. Different models will drive differently, due to different Chassis manufacturers. wheelbase, weights, suspension etc etc. If undecided about gas or diesel, drive both. typically, the Roadmaster R4R has a very firm ride. It's a diesel chassis which was manufactured by Monaco...had some other problems too, but those can be taken care of with $$$....rear trailing arms are the problems.....if you do look at these, make sure it has been fixed. Good luck, and test drive everyone your interested in, If the dealer won't let you test drive, then he's not interested in your business....you really should run into anyone like that though.
Brian

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just ask and if you have never driven one just say so. They will be happy to help you. If not move on to the next one. Drive as many as you can to see and learn the differences between coaches/makes. Don't be in a hurry to make a deal.
When you find one you like don't be afraid to go on a second test drive. Trust me the dealers know the best way to sell you is get you behind the wheel.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
Attend most any large RV show. Go early and register with most any dealer for a test drive. You should have some idea of the size and make you like.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

We_retheRussos
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently looking for a Class A and have never driven any type of motorhome (I've driven large box trucks but thats about it). Well we were both pretty nervous but once you find a good salesman and build a rapport, you can pretty much take out anything your heart desires. We have been looking at the Winny Grand Tour 42' and took one of those out on the roads. It definitely did not feel as big as it looked and was SOOOO much easier to drive than I had imagined. if its your first time, just ask the salesman for some tips (like taking the turns wider, preparing for stops, etc) and you'll be fine. I assume you already know most, if not all of this from your experience with the 5th Wheel.
Planning on retiring and full-timing - check out our progress: http://www.weretherussos.com/

emhunter2000
Explorer
Explorer
I am in a similar situation as you, looking to move from a travel trailer to a class A. I wanted to drive one but thought a short drive with a salesman yacking in my ear the whole time would not be productive.

So we rented one for four nights. The biggest we could get was 33 feet but it gave me the driving experience baseline I wanted. We were not allowed to tow anything so we had to use the coach for everything. Which was perfect.

We picked up the motor home near Eugene, OR and went to a private park just south of Sisters. I drove on freeways, narrow 2 lane country roads, 2 lane winding mountain roads with up to 6% grades. We were in and out of the campground every day, going sight seeing, negotiating various parking lots, getting gas, going into town for dinner. It was great. And there was no salesman yacking in my ear the whole time. Also DW was extremely impressed with it so the trip also served to convince us both that a class A was the right RV for us.

It probably took me an hour or so before I started feeling comfortable driving it so a test drive would have left me in "white knuckle mode" the whole time. Now I have enough experience to know what I want to learn in a test drive. And I am comfortable enough with it that I can relax and evaluate the ride.

It was not cheap trip, but worth every penny and we had a really nice time to boot. I highly recommend it.

Good luck,
Eric and Mary
2008 Gulf Stream Independence 8367
Freightliner FRED Chassis
Cummins/Allison
2008 Saturn Aura