cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hunt's or Heinz? Coke or Pepsi? Ford or Chevy?

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
So if you were in the market for a '90s Class A... and your favorite make and model came in both the Ford F53 and Chevy P30 chassis... which would you prefer and why?

One thing I noticed... the Fords appear to have a wider track, which I like. Do I have that right?
Cheers,
Kendall
26 REPLIES 26

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Any ketchup, Guiness, and Cummins.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking Del Monte, Red Bull, and Daimler.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford, because the P30 chassis is an orphan. (I'm also not a fan of Auto-Park.)
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Explorer
Explorer
Wait a year, add to your RV fund, and get a 2000 or newer gas MH instead of a 90's. Bigger tires, wider wheel tread, better engines, etc. etc.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
lakebum wrote:
don't know the answer to your question, but

Heinz, Pepsi & Chevy

+1

But I bought a diesel motorhome. 🙂

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I'd go with Chevy because Ford had trouble with there frame rails early to mid 90's.

That would be the F150 not the F53.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would measure that "Wider track" which by the way is a GM buzz phrase and the name of a major road in PONTIAC, Mi (Wide track Pontiac said the ad).

Do not know if it applies to Truck and Motor homes though.

Myself.. I am a Chevy fan.. but not of the P chassis. so if this post leaves you confused... you are not the only one...

Why am I a Chevy fan? Have owned Ford cars and cars that were Part Ford.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with Chevy because Ford had trouble with there frame rails early to mid 90's.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
KendallP wrote:
So if you were in the market for a '90s Class A... and your favorite make and model came in both the Ford F53 and Chevy P30 chassis... which would you prefer and why?

One thing I noticed... the Fords appear to have a wider track, which I like. Do I have that right?

Any motorhome being Ford or Chevy of that age is going to have issues,
just get one with low miles and been maintained well and clean inside and out is your best bet.

Even if it cost more money for that perfect clean one its going to be cheaper in the long run.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still driving a 95 Bounder on a Ford F53 chassis with 460, er ah make that a 528 now.
The 16" tires are not a problem if you don't cheap out and buy rags.
Ford delivered the older F53s with Michelin all steel cord tires, for a reason. 13 years with no tire problems and I run the chassis right on its maximum of 17,000#. Get the toe in right and add a front pan hard bar and it will handle well. Service the brakes ever 2 years, as required by Ford, and they work well.
Headers will eliminate the manifold problems with both brands of chassis.
Ford had a better cooling system in the 90s. A lot of the chevy guys had to install better radiators. Both chassis require a new fan clutch once in awhile. I'm running a 68 cu in bigger engine on the original radiator core with no heating problems.
Add a electronic shift kit to Ford's E4OD transmission and it will last for ever. IE Banks transcommander. I rebuilt my tranny at 138,000 miles when I installed the bigger engine.
I'm not a fan of the independent front suspension used on the P32 chassis. Lots of room for parts failure and alignment problems. Robert Henderson (Henderson Line-up) made a fortune correcting all those problems.
There's not a nut, bolt, wire or bearing on one of those old chassis that scares me. I just happen to think those old Ford chassis are less aggravating than the Chevy P32.

Flack jacket on
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the years that you are talking about I would choose the Chevy with 19.5 in rims over a Ford with the 16 in tires. Both can have leaking exhaust manifolds which headers will fix.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hunts, Coke and Dodge (pickup, pre-2009)

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Heinz, Pepsi, and Ford (for an RV, not a car)

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Heinz - Pepsi - Chevy