cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Matthew

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody camped out along the southeast coastline needs to pay close attention to forecasts and make your "bug-out" plans. Looks like the storm is going to impact the Florida east coast all the way up to NC starting potentially sometime late Thursday through the weekend. Here's the latest forecast track from the National Hurricane Center:

Hurricane Matthew

Stay safe my friends!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
45 REPLIES 45

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things are looking worse for the East Coast of FL. The eye may come on shore at Ft. Pierce and run the coast all the way up near Daytona. It should be "at least" a Cat 4 when it comes on shore but they are not ruling out the chance that it could be a Cat 5. I made it past Baton Rouge yesterday and I will stop in the Gold Beach area of AL to wait out the storm. Once it gets to GA we will head in. Then we just have to watch out as it makes a loop and heads back to FL next week.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keep in mind that by now, the major roadways away from the coast may have already been changed to "exit only", which means that traffic is one way only, away from the coast. Thia means that the traffic on both sides of a divided highway will all be traveling in the same direction.
In addition they have been reporting gas shortages in many areas of the State as people fill up to leave, or to have fuel if they decide to stay.
Stay safe and use common sense. If you can't leave the area, try to find a big box store where you can park next to a high building to shield you from the wind as much as possible. Between two building is the best and keep away from any trees that could blow down.
I should add that when the roads are made one way exit only, it may be several days after a storm before they are put back to normal. If there is extensive damage, they still do not want people to come back in to an area while emergency crews are working and supplies are brought in.

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences, too, Bill.

East Coastal Florida not a good place to be. A small westerly drift of the eye will make a big change the number of folks that see hurricane winds.

SR 27 is good road. Take it west to 98 and come up the west coast. 98 is a bit curvy but good road. Take 98 to SR 27 in Panama City then to I10. Plenty of Camp grounds along the coast, too.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, we are praying! I cannot get my Father-in-law to drive inland to Orlando. So we will just have to wait and see.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The latest forecast is for Matthew to do a landfall near Melbourne, FL at, or near, KSC. My Mother died last night in the Melbourne area and I left TX this morning to get to FL. I will stop in AL and wait until the storm get to GA, at least, before heading to FL. Anyone in Eastern FL who does not take this storm seriously is putting themselves in serious and unnecessary jeopardy. If I do get to FL and the storm turns back in a loop back toward FL I will be looking to move again. Please folks, your life is not the same as your pride. Don't stay because you feel someone might perceive you as weak. The smart leave and the victims stay. Been there, done that and have no problems telling anyone who asks that I evacuated the KSC area twice in 3 years.

My condolences on the passing of your Mother. If the eye of the storm stays East of Melbourne, you can expect some high tides, storm surge, and quite a bit of wind, but the rain should be minimal. With any luck it will not shift to the West any more.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Lt46 wrote:
I was just out on SR 27 in central Fl. and the number of RV's heading north is remarkable. Convoy after convoy. Many are taking this storm seriously.

We transitioned from St. Augustine, Fl to Lake Park, GA today. Traffic on I-10 and I-75 was heavy, but not gridlock. Campgrounds in the central areas are filling quickly, however. Be safe out there.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The latest forecast is for Matthew to do a landfall near Melbourne, FL at, or near, KSC. My Mother died last night in the Melbourne area and I left TX this morning to get to FL. I will stop in AL and wait until the storm get to GA, at least, before heading to FL. Anyone in Eastern FL who does not take this storm seriously is putting themselves in serious and unnecessary jeopardy. If I do get to FL and the storm turns back in a loop back toward FL I will be looking to move again. Please folks, your life is not the same as your pride. Don't stay because you feel someone might perceive you as weak. The smart leave and the victims stay. Been there, done that and have no problems telling anyone who asks that I evacuated the KSC area twice in 3 years.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Latest forecast track has the storm skirting the Florida/Georgia/South Carolina coast before turning sharply back out to sea. East coast of Florida is the area of most concern right now. Stay vigilant if you're in that area and haven't left yet!

Hurricane Matthew Forecast Track 10/5/2016 @ 1400
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Lt46
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was just out on SR 27 in central Fl. and the number of RV's heading north is remarkable. Convoy after convoy. Many are taking this storm seriously.
Peter & Dawn
[black] 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW [/black]
F53/460 w/ tag axle
[black] 96 Prowler 27X SOLD[/black]
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Those in Florida should flee west first, then North. I95 will likely back up quickly. The west side of the state, so far, is not expecting much wind or rain.

It is foolish beyond words to see if your RV can take 150 mph direct hit by a palm tree.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
As this progresses, would you all please check in and tell us you're ok. We lost two members during Hermine who said they were fleeing and then we never heard from them again.
-jbh-

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
Keeping a close eye in the storm here in Charleston as well. We live about 40 miles inland but still have the MH gassed and ready to roll if we decide to move further inland.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
brodon wrote:
We are staying in Ocala Fl (CENTRAL FL)in our MH for the 1st Hurricane issue. Living in a 30,000 lb RV, I would think would be safe unless storm moves inward. Still this is first time for us.

WE live just south of Ocala and do not expect more that tropical winds i.e 45mph. Do not expect any more but still will watch! Expect you will also keep watch..

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Daytona Beach, lived on the beach side for nearly 50 years, never left for a hurricane.
Tonight I am plugged in at my house getting ready, this one scares me I will wait untill the last minute, but before the blow starts & head west, everyone, please be careful

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
J-Rooster wrote:
Alabama Jim wrote:
Thanks for caring enough to share this information. Be safe and may God be with you and yours.
X-2, my brother in law lives in the Tampa Bay area and he claims it is one of the safer places in FLA. during a Hurricane?

I've lived in the Tampa Bay area my entire life and he is right, to some extent. We have not had a direct hit in decades but there has been storm damage from high winds and flooding along the beaches and low lying areas. A lot depends on where you are in relation to the storm center.
Keep in mind that the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed to the East of New Orleans. If it would have passed to the West, the damage would have been worse.