cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hwys in arizona

papajim1
Explorer
Explorer
Gettting ready for a trip from Temecula, Ca to Cottonwood, Az. Any route suggestions, I would like to avoid the Phoenix area freeways, like 101and 17. We staying at Verde Valley campground. Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
glamisorbust wrote:
Sun valley parkway is a good road. Speed limit is 55mph, nobody knows why. It is a straight stretch of road, you can almost see the curvature of the earth, LOL. Cops love to hide everywhere on that road, so it's pretty much a 60mph road. But, meets right up with 303 north and that will catch the 17 north after about 25 miles. There is about 5 miles of construction if you go that way on the 303, and it's a 40mph zone for that 5 miles. After that, it's 55mph and 65mph, all the way to the 17.

...and that is why the road still remains not well used. Mileage wise its the same as using the loop 101 but slower speed limit and the short stint on Bell Rd with stoplights make it pretty much useless unless you live in that community out there.

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sun valley parkway is a good road. Speed limit is 55mph, nobody knows why. It is a straight stretch of road, you can almost see the curvature of the earth, LOL. Cops love to hide everywhere on that road, so it's pretty much a 60mph road. But, meets right up with 303 north and that will catch the 17 north after about 25 miles. There is about 5 miles of construction if you go that way on the 303, and it's a 40mph zone for that 5 miles. After that, it's 55mph and 65mph, all the way to the 17.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
harold1946 wrote:
To avoid all Phoenix traffic I would take exit 109 off of I-10, the Sun Valley Parkway. Go to the 303, and then over to I-17.
The Sun Valley Parkway is 4 lane divided all the way around to the 303, and 303 is 4 lane divided to I-17.
For once someone can use that road. (Sun Valley) It only came 20 years to early.

It's amazing how many Arizona residents are unaware it has been there for over 20 years.
When they complete the 303 it will be another good route, but for now it's about 15 miles of 35 MPH speed limit and many detours.
Sun Valley Park Way was build with tax payer money for Charles Keating of the S. & L. days in the 80's . It was known as the road to no where back then, I've used it many times as a short cut to go to L.a.
So big a world, so little time to see.

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
last year i went I-40 and Flagstaff
that road beat us to death it was the roughest , worst shape highway of our whole 5000 mile 5 month trip

Can't argue with this.

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
*303 is a construction zone on southern side but will be awesome when complete. I am not sure of the construction at the Sun Valley connection as I have been avoiding this road until complete which should be in 2014.
*101 can be bad during rush hour but is my preferred route when I use in a car.
*another option is go thru Wickenburg via hwy 60, cut south to 74 and come out on I17 (make sure to use the New River bypass near Lake Pleasant). This is two lane but I don't go much over 60mph and it is a shorter route mileage wise with little traffic. It is my preferred route when in the RV putting along. I would avoid going thru Congress/Yarnell/Prescott as it is curvy with grades but still doable. Also avoid 89A thru Jerome.

MrWizard
last year i went I-40 and Flagstaff
that road beat us to death it was the roughest , worst shape highway of our whole 5000 mile 5 month trip
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MarcW
Explorer
Explorer
There is really no reason to avoid Phoenix freeways. I dread every large city we have to pass through on our travels. Except Phoenix. They arguably have the best and nicest freeway system in the country. It is actually amazing compared to everywhere else.
2007 Monaco Dynasty Emperor IV
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
harold1946 wrote:
To avoid all Phoenix traffic I would take exit 109 off of I-10, the Sun Valley Parkway. Go to the 303, and then over to I-17.
The Sun Valley Parkway is 4 lane divided all the way around to the 303, and 303 is 4 lane divided to I-17.
For once someone can use that road. (Sun Valley) It only came 20 years to early.

It's amazing how many Arizona residents are unaware it has been there for over 20 years.
When they complete the 303 it will be another good route, but for now it's about 15 miles of 35 MPH speed limit and many detours.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would take 215 north, or pines to palms highway up to palm springs. Then 10 east, 101 north, 17 north to 260 west. Phoenix traffic is nothing like where you are coming from. The roads here are nice, and most of the time traffic is about 20% of the LA area traffic you are used to. Just avoid the two rush hour's in phoenix. About 7-9am, and about 5-7pm. The traffic still moves, but probably 20mph. Any other time of day or night you won't have a problem. Careful on the 17, people drive like complete retards. There are wrecks almost daily all along there, and almost every time I go to flagstaff to go camping, my 2.5 hour drive on the way home ALWAYS turns into about 5 hours, due to a wreck on the way home. A lot of "outta my way" drivers up and down the 17, you'll see. The last time was a flipped over diesel pusher, time before that was a flipped horse trailer, and on and on. Lots of steep climbs up the 17 also, just forewarning you.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Been through and around Phoenix several time with out bother, and we are NOT experienced freeway drivers. Mind you, we have even been through LA twice towing the jeep, again, no problem.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phoenix is the easiest big city to get through. Even in rush hour traffic moves. Both of the above routes given would be good. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
Unless you're going through at rush hour, the freeways there are wide open.
Rush hour is easy to.