cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-40 From Tennessee to California

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I are planning a cross-country trip along I-40 from Tennessee to Semi Valley, California ....... we plan to take our time and need some ideas to visit some places of interest along this route.......we will begin our voyage from Bedford , Va around mid June .... thanks for any info......
Bobby and Lynda
Retired VSP and High School Counselor, respectively
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein
31 REPLIES 31

Flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to take your time ,there is no way you should not head up into SW CO.
It would take several days (or months !) but it would be worth it !
Should you decide to do that just let us know and this group will come up with quite a list of things to see and do !
Flyfisher
98 HR Endeavor Diesel
02 Explorer toad

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I lived in Yuma AZ where Temps were 199 or higher every day from June to Sept.

Damn, that is HOT!!! :h
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobGed wrote:
I can't give you any suggestions for attractions to see as we pretty much drove through with one night stops from NV to AL in February. However if it works into your schedule there was one RV park that was a stand out and one that I wish we could have spent more time at.

It is Tom Sawyer's RV Park in West Memphis, AR, which is on the west side of the Mississippi river just across from Memphis, TN. It's definitely nothing fancy. We had a river view site, and even though we had to endure a severe thunder storm with tornado warnings, once that passed it was beautiful watching the tugs handle huge lines of barges up and down the river.
Took your advise and xstopped at Catherines Landing....great place.....next stop Amarillo.
Bobby and Lynda
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
JQgolf wrote:
We did this route last spring/summer. 7,500 mi on MH and 2,500 on car. We stuck mostly to I-40 with lots of short side trips. We thought Williams,AZ and their Rte 66 themed downtown was nice. Walnut Canyon NM outside of Flagstaff was very nice find and nice cliff dwellings. We drove down to Sedona twice.

In Alburqurque, we found the International Pow Wow and enjoyed a full day discovering the cultures from 4,000 plus performers, dancers, singers, exhibits. We Went to Okla City Memorial and enjoyed that. We turned off in Okla to Muskogee to Nat'l Cherokee Museum and spent the night at Lake Tenkiller. Next was visit to Presidential Library at Little Rock.

Then we spent a week plus in Tennessee to see all the tourist sites, Graceland, Nashville and Grand Ole Opry, Dollywood and Smokey Mtn NP. Then off the Charlotte, NC to see friends and tour the Speedway and NASCAR Hall of Fame. Northeast to Blue Ridge Parkway, Fancy Gap, Mt Airy (Mayberry), Natural Bridge and

finally down to Mechanicsville.

We didn't find too many stretches with nothing to see, But it was our first time past Okla. There is plenty to see and do and good places to see. We usually called ahead that morning to reserve a CG since we have a 38ft MH and it gets a little tricky otherwise.

If you have any specific questions about any of it, let me know and I will get out my journal to jog my memory. Have good trip.

Also can u recommend any places west of Arkansas we should enjoy and names of campgrounds u could recommend.....
Bobby and Lynda

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If you stop and spend the time required to see the sights within 10 miles of I40 on your proposed trip I would guess it will take you an additional week vs driving straight through.

Example petrified forest will require a full day to see it all.

Meteor Crater a full day. A must see for many of us. Nice campground too.

Grand Canyon at least two days if you want to see a sunset and sunrise which is the best time of the day for the canyon. Camp at the canyon rim. But it is about 60 miles from I 40 to the canyon.

If you are not towing a Toad I would suggest taking the original route 66 from Kingman to Topock. This will add about one day to the trip but worth the bypass.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven it 300 or so times in big trucks. Lot's to see. It can be hot so here's my warning. Do not step out of a 70 degree camper onto 150 degree asphalt. Your knees will buckle and you will face plant and probably melt into the asphalt. Let your RV get up round 85 whilst sitting then get out. I lived in Yuma AZ where Temps were 199 or higher every day from June to Sept. Enjoy, the desert is beautiful.Blue Hole Santa Rosa NM, Lota Burger with green Chili in Tucumcari.You have to try one.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven it 300 or so times in big trucks. Lot's to see. It can be hot so here's my warning. Do not step out of a 70 degree camper onto 150 degree asphalt. Your knees will buckle and you will face plant and probably melt into the asphalt. Let your RV get up round 85 whilst sitting then get out. I lived in Yuma AZ where Temps were 199 or higher every day from June to Sept. Enjoy, the desert is beautiful.

JQgolf
Explorer
Explorer
We did this route last spring/summer. 7,500 mi on MH and 2,500 on car. We stuck mostly to I-40 with lots of short side trips. We thought Williams,AZ and their Rte 66 themed downtown was nice. Walnut Canyon NM outside of Flagstaff was very nice find and nice cliff dwellings. We drove down to Sedona twice.

In Alburqurque, we found the International Pow Wow and enjoyed a full day discovering the cultures from 4,000 plus performers, dancers, singers, exhibits. We Went to Okla City Memorial and enjoyed that. We turned off in Okla to Muskogee to Nat'l Cherokee Museum and spent the night at Lake Tenkiller. Next was visit to Presidential Library at Little Rock.

Then we spent a week plus in Tennessee to see all the tourist sites, Graceland, Nashville and Grand Ole Opry, Dollywood and Smokey Mtn NP. Then off the Charlotte, NC to see friends and tour the Speedway and NASCAR Hall of Fame. Northeast to Blue Ridge Parkway, Fancy Gap, Mt Airy (Mayberry), Natural Bridge and finally down to Mechanicsville.

We didn't find too many stretches with nothing to see, But it was our first time past Okla. There is plenty to see and do and good places to see. We usually called ahead that morning to reserve a CG since we have a 38ft MH and it gets a little tricky otherwise.

If you have any specific questions about any of it, let me know and I will get out my journal to jog my memory. Have good trip.

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
dkreuzen wrote:
A couple of items worth mentioning...
Between Kingman, AZ and Barstow, CA the desert will be hot in June-August. At the AZ-CA border it could be 110-120 in July with 90-100 lows. Be prepared and don't plan on camping in the heat if you can help it. July-August is also Monsoon time in the desert.

I just came over I40 westbound from Flagstaff to the Lake Havasu turn off yesterday. The road surface is pretty poor and ADOT is not working on it. Drive in the left lane when the right is bad.

Great info.....we have a motorhome with two ac's .....so we will be plan on using them when camping.....not sure if you meant tent camping?? Anyway we will certainly be ready, if possble, for the heat....was on I-40 in July '06 and had a flat in the Mojave desert...not pleasant....
Bobby and Lynda

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired VSP wrote:
My wife and I are planning a cross-country trip along I-40 from Tennessee to Semi Valley, California ....... we plan to take our time and need some ideas to visit some places of interest along this route.......we will begin our voyage from Bedford , Va around mid June .... thanks for any info......

I think, When you program your GPS, It will be "SIMI Valley in California.

Terry.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, My family went on a similar trip, but... I drove the RV and took the golden retriever Elvis with me and drove to Tennessee from southern California in 3 days on I40. Nice trip and a little to see, but made great time, which is why I took that path. Flew wife and three kids into Nashville on fourth day and then took our time heading west for three weeks. Lots and lots of great sites to see and plenty in Texas (Could have stayed a week in this state alone!) like Gruene, Alamo, NASA, etc. If the I40 has to be your path, nice, but if you have time, and if you won't be making this trip again anytime soon, I would get off the I40. We focused a little more south and next time may venture a little more north. Make sure you save time to see the Reagan Library (excellent!). Good luck on your choices!

I should add that we blew a transmission line outside of Kingman in our old camper in heat of summer. Nicest people, camped at the Dodge dealership and barbecued and all till back on the road. Take your breath away hot. Low 90's even at night sometimes...aaarrgghh!

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of items worth mentioning...
Between Kingman, AZ and Barstow, CA the desert will be hot in June-August. At the AZ-CA border it could be 110-120 in July with 90-100 lows. Be prepared and don't plan on camping in the heat if you can help it. July-August is also Monsoon time in the desert.

I just came over I40 westbound from Flagstaff to the Lake Havasu turn off yesterday. The road surface is pretty poor and ADOT is not working on it. Drive in the left lane when the right is bad.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, but that looks like 80 miles off my route. I'm following I40 and won't be around Tulsa.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I'm taking 40 from SC to Arizona next month. I like the idea of getting off the interstate, but in reality, need to make some time.

Is there any section of that ride that I could/should get off of 40 for a few hours and not lose much travel time? Maybe a 3-4 hour section of 66 that gives a good flavor of it?

There is a section of 66 from I-35 in OKC to Tulsa. Pretty drive.