cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Input Requested - New Toad

Dave_n_Alice
Explorer
Explorer
Have been towing our old Jeep TJ but we are thinking of making a change. We are considering Honda Fit, Chevrolet Sonic and Fiat 500 - all manual transmissions. Looking at used back to 2012 and/or new. I have one major concern in changing to one of these smaller/lighter cars - road clearance! I have a Roadmaster All Terrain with a Ready Brake system setup for the motorhome. Please share with me if you have any experience with any of these cars. By the way, I stated manual transmission as there is so much conflicting data out there on automatics Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

Dave_n_Alice
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your input. Will be doing some shopping around. Might just hang on to the TJ for a while yet. It is an easy connect and disconnect to the MH but our oldest grandson has his eye on it which could change the ball game.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
once you go jeep, you never go back.

What's wrong with your Tj?

Mine has 280,000 miles on it, it's been my daily driver for the past 4 years, and has another 30k being toad.

Oddly, since going to 33" tires, the ride is much better, and the death woble I had with 31's is gone!

Replacing her? I don'tthink so. but if I did, wife has an 011 liberty that is towable. I'd look at a 2 door LJ, but they seem to be made of platinum or something.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love driving my manual transmission 2012 Fit, it brings back memories of my first little BMW, except that the Honda has more practical and adaptable space, better power to weight ratio, more advanced engineering, and better build quality than a BMW of the 1960s. And better radio. The BMW didn't even come with a radio. Only downside through the years is plastic interiors replacing simulated leather over metal, and less sporty handling (compensated by electronic stability assist).

My alternatives would have been a Focus (way too expensive and needing more power for the extra weight) or Fiat 500 (what was available at the time had too little interior space and too little power, that's changed).

However, I admit that I really like buzzy little cars with lots of manual gears, winding through hilly country with tight 25 mph to 50 mph curves, and the car that is good for that may not be what you want for long distance cruising on the Interstate highways, or in stop and go traffic surrounded by behemoth SUVs piloted by people too busy on their smart phone to pay attention to their driving. If it were at all practical for anything other than attacking curves on back roads, I might be driving an old Lotus Seven or a kit car replica.

I've not yet dragged the Fit on the ground anywhere, and it has better clearance for front curbs when parking than my late wife's Accord, but if I am headed for back country I tow my high-clearance Ranger rather than the Honda.

If your preference is manual transmission (my case), don't let someone talk you into an automatic. Pretty soon, the EPA may take the choice away from us (there is already a penalty in fuel consumption calculations) and you won't have the option in the U.S.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We tow an automatic Honda Fit. We love the car - lots of room inside and the price is right. The clearance is OK - not like a 4 wheel or all wheel drive but not too low.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line is there are a LOT of great cars out there for towing. And many of them are lightweight. As I said, no reason to shy away from autos...many of them are towable.

I bought mine used, because I buy everything used ;)...like letting someone else taking the hit on all of that depreciation ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Scion XB and if you want a small car with the room of a full sized car the XB is the ticket. It was just rated the top for compact cars for reliability in consumers report. But you would have to get the standard transmission. We haul ours on a trailer because it has an auto plus we also travel with our Polaris RZR

bjw1
Explorer
Explorer
Something you might think about is the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the Active Drive II. It's supposed to be towable. Fairly good gas mileage. A little pricey.

Bryan
2001 Monaco Diplomat 36D
2002 Jeep Liberty Toad
2017 Ram 3500 Tradesman Crew
2008 Eagle Cap 850 Non slide

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Lobstah wrote:

HHR has turned out to be one of the most versatile cars we've owned. You can drop the rear seats, and the front passenger seat, and put 8' lumber in the car and still close the gate. Amazing amount of storage.
And everyone that's ridden in it remarks about how comfortable it is.

Jim

Jim, I can put the same in my Fit. When I first got inside one, I had to get out and see how they got all that room inside. It seemed impossible.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
Standard or manual doesn't matter...what's in the Owner's Manual regarding towing, matters ๐Ÿ™‚

We tow a Chevy HHR, automatic. You pull a fuse for towing. You can also buy a toggle switch to eliminate the need for pulling the fuse.

HHR has turned out to be one of the most versatile cars we've owned. You can drop the rear seats, and the front passenger seat, and put 8' lumber in the car and still close the gate. Amazing amount of storage.
And everyone that's ridden in it remarks about how comfortable it is.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Can't go wrong with the Fit...standard or AT.
2014 American Eagle

TwoTechies
Explorer
Explorer
We pull a 2010 Honda Fit Automatic. Pulled it 6000 miles this year. Out to the west coast and around the Midwest. No problems and pulls like a dream. Going out west we decided last minute to take along our pellet smoker. Folded up the rear seats and loaded it in the backseat area. Love our Fit. Best advice is to test all that you are considering to purchase.
Steve and Janice
2004 Newmar DSDP 4025
2010 Honda Fit

RCDave
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a 2013 outback manual trans. Great toad. The Scion Xb manual trans is also a great toad to consider. They both tow great behind our MH

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
I sure am happy with my choice of the Jeep Patriot, the manual transmisson is fun, and it even has a hill-holder feature when you are stopped on an uphill slope. Nearly 2 years 30,000 miles driven and 10-12,000 towed.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind a manual transmission car think about the Subaru Outback. The Subaru is an All Wheel Drive car with about 8" of ground clearance. Subaru has been making only AWD cars for over 10 years. We have had an Outback as a toad for 10 years plus a 2008 Tribeca (automatic which is NOT towable on all 2/4 wheels). You should check out one. The Subaru is not towable using a dolly.