cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is 300HP Enough

Quick_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of switching to a Class A or a Super C to use for towing our race trailer which weighs 7-8K when loaded. We like the Fleetwood Excursion which sits on a Freightliner chassis with 300HP but everyone is telling that I won't be happy with that HP and should get more. Anyone have a similar setup?
2015 Renegade Classic Volvo D16
2015 RZR 1000 Magnum Offroad #553
2014 RZR 570 Magnum Offroad #437
2012 RZR 570 Holz #553
2014 Trophy Kart JR-Mod #437
2011 RZR 900 Turbo
43 REPLIES 43

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 with the Cummins ISC 315. Moves the bus and 5k of trailer/race car without an issue through VA, PA and WV. But its an RV, so im not trying to drag race off the line, but I can maintain 65 on the highways without issues, and most of my 3-5% grades are 45-55mph staying in the power band.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
Which engine? The CAT has 860 ft pounds of torque. I thought an excursion would have a bigger motor. I think the CAT would be adequate.
The little Cummins not so much.

He's talking about the new Excursion, which has been downsized from the previous model on the length, engine and tranny.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Like I said above--get your information from someone that is doing it or has done it--everyone else is just guessing and don't really know. I have done it and am still doing it and you can bet if it didn't work I would have one with 400--450hp

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
You will not find a 34 or 36' foot coach with a 450hp Cummins engine. The chassis builders only install engines according to weight. The biggest you will find for those length and weight are 350hp.

Some of these guys suggest getting big 500hp engines like what they have on their coach. The only thing they do not tell you is that the coach they have is 45' foot long and it takes every bit of that power to move that much coach.

About as untrue as you can get.

ForeTravels ALWAYS weighed LESS than the same length Country Coach and ALWAYS had much larger engines ( with an equally higher price tag too) and CC themselves installed 330HP engines in my coach ( nothing larger obtainable in them) and in later years before they went belly up had 425 and 450 HP engines available.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, you can get a Tiffin Allegro Bus, length 36'11", with a 450HP ISL. It's the 36QSP model. GVWR 37,600 lbs and GCWR 47,600 lbs.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
slemnah wrote:
I couldn't agree more. The gentleman that says he can tow a 5000 lb jeep up the grapevine at 50mph with 275hp and low torque would have to prove it to me. My 97 Imperial with the C8.3 325 hp and Banks Kit couldn't do that on its best day towing 5,000 lbs behind it. I am a believer in high torque and high hp which is why I upgraded to a 525hp Cat.

Your imperial was probable somewhere in the GVWR of 33,000 to 36,000 lbs. where as my disco has a GVWR of 24,000 lbs.. Take 10,000 off the imperial and there is your proof. Even with my jeep in tow I am probable lighter than your Imperial was by itself. While I agree that huge HP and torque is nice you can also just run a lighter rig. From my experience with my truck and FW and now my DP and jeep I would say 300 HP is good as long as you stay around 30,000 lbs. preferable a little less.

prism
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Prism--you send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a pic of it. I have had it as far up North as New Hampshire, as far South as FL, and as far West as St Louis. And read the post----I never said I was towing 18,000lbs----I said the trailer is weight tagged for 18,000lbs. But I would guess its around 9000 to 12,000lbs. I have towed this same trailer since 1999 for around 100,000mi.....I do it so I am not just guessing at what I am posting here.

OK I thought u said 18K not 10K(average using your figures) BIG difference and it was not that I dispute you could never tow it.I disputed the fact you could easly tow up a 5% grade for 7 miles at 55MPH that is what I dispute

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
prism wrote:
Ferndalflyer quote:I have a 325hp 8.3 Cummins and my DP weighs around 26,000lbs---not sure about the trailer but it is 32ft tri axel 1ft extra high Pace w/ 3200lb car Gen, ATV, tools, etc tagged for 18,000lbs.....Fancy Gap between NC and VA is a 7mi pull and I can run up it 55mph throttle on the floor on a hot day without getting hot.

I find posts like this interesting because I for EG owned a 1997 DP 38 ft with same engine/HP and just loaded with house stuff + towing S10 Blazer through rockys etc on west coast it was terrible for power.I seriously can not Fathom that unit hooked up to 18000 lbs and it going 55MPH up a 6-7 mile 5% grade

I couldn't agree more. The gentleman that says he can tow a 5000 lb jeep up the grapevine at 50mph with 275hp and low torque would have to prove it to me. My 97 Imperial with the C8.3 325 hp and Banks Kit couldn't do that on its best day towing 5,000 lbs behind it. I am a believer in high torque and high hp which is why I upgraded to a 525hp Cat.

Prism--you send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a pic of it. I have had it as far up North as New Hampshire, as far South as FL, and as far West as St Louis. And read the post----I never said I was towing 18,000lbs----I said the trailer is weight tagged for 18,000lbs. But I would guess its around 9000 to 12,000lbs. I have towed this same trailer since 1999 for around 100,000mi.....I do it so I am not just guessing at what I am posting here.

prism
Explorer
Explorer
Ferndalflyer quote:I have a 325hp 8.3 Cummins and my DP weighs around 26,000lbs---not sure about the trailer but it is 32ft tri axel 1ft extra high Pace w/ 3200lb car Gen, ATV, tools, etc tagged for 18,000lbs.....Fancy Gap between NC and VA is a 7mi pull and I can run up it 55mph throttle on the floor on a hot day without getting hot.

I find posts like this interesting because I for EG owned a 1997 DP 38 ft with same engine/HP and just loaded with house stuff + towing S10 Blazer through rockys etc on west coast it was terrible for power.I seriously can not Fathom that unit hooked up to 18000 lbs and it going 55MPH up a 6-7 mile 5% grade

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
Im running a Dynamax 35 foot super C with Cat C-7 350hp . I was told I could tow over 12000 lbs . I only tow 3500 and don't even know the car is behind us. I would check out Dynamax or Renegade both are very nice units and are made to tow a lot of weight.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Altern wrote:
Nothing more useless than a minute ago, the runway behind you, and horsepower you failed to buy.:B

AMEN! Brother....

My Dynasty had the Cummins 300HP...IMHO, too small an engine for what you want to do...

Go big or Go home.....Dennis
The same with Cheeseburgers Dennis! Go with Wendy's Baconater or go home!

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Quick Sand wrote:
We are thinking of switching to a Class A or a Super C to use for towing our race trailer which weighs 7-8K when loaded. We like the Fleetwood Excursion which sits on a Freightliner chassis with 300HP but everyone is telling that I won't be happy with that HP and should get more. Anyone have a similar setup?
That the race motor and put it in the RV for the trips.
So big a world, so little time to see.

You need to listen to someone that has done it like you want to or close. To many experts with no real experience.....If you are one of those racers that must go over some of those mountains out there a lot I don't think you will like the small engine. If not going over the mountains much it will be ok.....I have a 325hp 8.3 Cummins and my DP weighs around 26,000lbs---not sure about the trailer but it is 32ft tri axel 1ft extra high Pace w/ 3200lb car Gen, ATV, tools, etc tagged for 18,000lbs.....Fancy Gap between NC and VA is a 7mi pull and I can run up it 55mph throttle on the floor on a hot day without getting hot. But if it were longer or hotter I think engine temp might become a problem. Going down the same grade the jake brake will hold it to 55mph real easy. You send me a PM and I'll send you a pic of this thing. It works for me and I race almost every weekend.