cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a former rental motorhome with 150K miles a good buy?

thedropshadows
Explorer
Explorer
I am brand-new to this forum and very much appreciate any help we can get! My husband and I are considering purchasing a used RV from Cruise America. It's 19', so we love the smaller size, and these are the stats:

Year: 2010
Miles: 150,000
Price: $26,000
Length: 19'
Sleeps: 3
Engine: Ford F350
Brand: Majestic

Is this a fair price for this vehicle? We've looked at several others that are older--such as, one that's from 2006 with only 50K miles and is the same price--but we really like this size (it fits us well and fits better into the driveway).

We have no idea if this is a good deal or not! We will get it checked out by a mechanic, but any help from experts would be very appreciated.

Thank you!
31 REPLIES 31

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
thedropshadows wrote:
I am brand-new to this forum and very much appreciate any help we can get! My husband and I are considering purchasing a used RV from Cruise America. It's 19', so we love the smaller size, and these are the stats:

Year: 2010
Miles: 150,000
Price: $26,000
Length: 19'
Sleeps: 3
Engine: Ford F350
Brand: Majestic

Is this a fair price for this vehicle? We've looked at several others that are older--such as, one that's from 2006 with only 50K miles and is the same price--but we really like this size (it fits us well and fits better into the driveway).

We have no idea if this is a good deal or not! We will get it checked out by a mechanic, but any help from experts would be very appreciated.

Thank you!
You seem to have gotten a number of negative comments. If you use Ad Hunter you can locate some comparables. That is the proof of the value. Here are a couple:
1. Here is a 2010 for $27,985
2. Here is a 2009 for $21,485
Mileage and condition do factor in the value.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Just for instance

Here is a random page of class Cs for sale.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
Welcome to the Forum,you will get a lot of opinions on this but very few real answers to your Question from real owners of Ex Rentals.

19 foot RENTAL with 150K for $26,000. Really?
Takes very little "real owner" experience to recommend that the original poster keep looking. Sounds like a whole bunch of, "real answers," to me....and good ones at that.

If you are going to QUOTE me at least QUOTE the whole thing and not EDIT it so it fits your AGENDA and let people decide on their own by getting the FACTS and not from a keyboard commando that will only put forth half of a QUOTE.....I REALLY HATE THAT.

Real answers come from owners, not someone who sits on the sidelines and throws mud with no real knowledge of what they speak.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
$26K is a pretty good chunk of change. Better options for that money than a rental RV with 150,000 miles, IMHO. Something more "gently used" is probably out there. Just a matter of looking until you find it.
2013 RT 190-Popular

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Offer 10K max. Better have a year warranty including drive train and hidden water damage.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum,you will get a lot of opinions on this but very few real answers to your Question from real owners of Ex Rentals.

19 foot RENTAL with 150K for $26,000. Really?
Takes very little "real owner" experience to recommend that the original poster keep looking. Sounds like a whole bunch of, "real answers," to me....and good ones at that.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
19' long, $26k and 150,000 miles? No bleeping way. Half that price, then maybe.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
For that price it has about 100,00 miles more than I would be interested in.
samsontdog:o:W

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
1) it's a retired RENTAL
2)150,000 + miles
What could be wrong?
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

Just Click Here to see what real owners of Ex Rental have to say.

If you have anymore questions just ask on that thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
anything with a 150k is to meney ,all the moving parts are worn out.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
Don't be in a hurry to buy an RV. There are plenty for sale, take your time and look at everything available.
And, ask questions on the forum, there is a lot of info available.

I would not buy a rental with that many miles.
Someone once posted a question:

What is the difference between an ATV and a rental motorhome?

ANSWER: The rental motorhome can go anywhere.

I would keep looking.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
150K on a rental that has probably been "ridden hard and put away wet."
Rentals are not treated the same as private owner user units.

I'd keep looking.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Just_Cruzzin
Explorer
Explorer
As like anything else you learn with experience and I found that no two drive alike. I would be very leery about buying a rental with 150K miles. Abuse is the first thing that comes to mind. No one has more respect than the owner. That being said getting extend coverage would be in my plan if that was my idea of a purchase. I would get a certified mechanic to inspect the RV, be well worth the bucks.

Good Luck.