cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this a good deal or not?

Sondi
Explorer
Explorer
1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MODEL# 37WDS Diesel Pusher, 117,000 miles.37.8 ft, 275hp Cummins Diesel Engine, 6 speed Allison Transmission, Freightliner chassis, 7.5 kw Onan diesel generator, dinning and kitchen slide out,
patio, door and window awnings, power leveling system, 2 roof ducted AC units, exhaust break, air breaks,air ride, New Michelin tires 3 yrs ago, Double door refrig, convection and microwave combo, oven, cook top.

They are asking 32,000. Is this way to many miles on a diesel or could we get a few years out of it yet. We want to start camping with a motorhome but can't buy a new one.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Sondi wrote:
Thanks for all of your wisdom and great advice. I have passed it on to my husband. We REALLY want a used Ace 27.1 but only after the kinks have been dealt with prior to purchase etc.

I would rather have a old Holiday Rambler like that than a newer Ace MH. Build & ride quality is far superior and that 275hp Cummins Diesel Engine is probably a Cummins ISB engine with about 600 lb of torgue. Plenty of power for towing and up hills.
The newer Ford V10 only has about 425-450 lb.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven diesels all my working life (CAT Motors) and the worst milage (highest mileage before a engine rebuild) was 750,000 miles on a well maintained engine. The best milage was 1,275,000 miles before a engine rebuild. Make sure you see maintenance records for the engine of that coach! PS 110,000 miles is not very many miles for a well maintained diesel engine! Good Luck, Rooster

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same engine and perhaps circumstances as that Endeavor.

Our engine is 300hp 860lbs torque C8.3L Cummins.

Our rig weighs 31,000+ lbs actual weight and we tow a 5,000 lb Jeep GC.

We have done so for 12+ years and 70,000 miles in the West Coast Mountain Ranges near where we live.

We are never the first, nor are we the last rig at the top of the hill on those mountain grades. We do pass freight trucks on the way up at our 35mph.

The 275 HP can be increased by 50 hp and some torque with a fuel plate and still be ok with the MD3060 Allison transmission.

So, if you are power hungry, in a hurry, type of RVer. Pass on buying the rig.

Otherwise, the engine should not be a obstacle to enjoyment. (I think that Endeavor is lighter than our rig.)
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

3sacrwd
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 97 vintage DP. I have 300 hp on my 38' rig and have towed a heavy trailer more than once with no problems at all. I dont think that the HP should be a dealbreaker. I was also looking to sell mine next year and was thinking around $32K, so the pricing looks to be pretty close. Good luck.
1997 Forest River Reflection 38' DP

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
This coach that the OP is considering is similar to my 2000 MODEL# 38WDS Endeavor. Loaded for travel with full tanks, weight is about 26,000 lbs. The Model 37WDS should be a little lighter. At 275 hp, this coach will meet the 1 hp per every 100 lbs. What I think it will be a little shy on will be torque. My Cat 330hp has 860 torque and I think the smaller Cummins is lower than that.

Overall, if it checks out it will be a good usable motorhome if you don't want to win drag races. And remember, a DP does not accelerate, it just gains momentum. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had an underpowered DP some years ago and while it did get me from point A to point B (eventually) I cannot recommend buying a low powered DP. I don't know your weight but you need at least a 1:100 ratio. 1HP for every 100#. That means a 20,000# coach needs at least 200HP. A 40,000# coach needs at least 400HP. In the real world 1.25-1.5 is much better but not always available.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, don't kick the HR Endeavor to the curb just yet. It sure won't win any races but I'm thinking it doesn't have slides so it will be lighter. There are no emission systems so no HP robbing.

$32,000 for a DP, even if it's not a race car, might not be too bad for a starter motorhome. Everything will depend on how much the motorhome weighs.

We weigh just over 40,000 lbs. with four slides and our 425 hp Cummins gets us where ever we need to go. We don't speed up hills, but we get there just fine (of course we would like to go faster). We are getting an average of 7.2 mpg towing really 100% of the time.

The '98 Endeavor might not be too heavy but I'm just guessing. The current owner has put 117,000 miles on it so it sure hasn't been sitting by the side of the road.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Really too small of an engine for that amount of weight. We had a 330hp in our 38' DP and my hubby couldn't deal with it.
If you do look it over, check the leveling system for leaks also.
Best of luck.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Sondi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your wisdom and great advice. I have passed it on to my husband. We REALLY want a used Ace 27.1 but only after the kinks have been dealt with prior to purchase etc.

donsuefuggrwe
Explorer
Explorer
Don't do it. Engine to small and it is the one thing you can not fix. Some will say it is ok but they never drive over 45 mph.

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer
That engine seems kinda small on HP????
We came thru Vale pass with a 300 HP Cat & had one heck of a time making it.
Diesel engines are only good for about 500,000 miles, before anything major.

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Nadaguides list prices on this coach from $28-$33k, and RVT.com show similar units priced from $28k to $40k. You probably have some room for negotiating. I would not be concerned about the miles on the engine/tranny, as long as maintenance has been done. Make sure everything works as it should including the exhaust brake--they sometimes stick. Read the pinned posts on the forum on checking out a coach, and go from there.
Good luck!
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The diesel motor is not a problem but the rest of the systems, including the AC, water pump, appliances, furnace, TV's, slide motors, leveling jacks, furniture, etc are all 16 years old. Also, unless they have been changed, all hoses belts, etc, on the engine and transmission are also 16 years old. The radiator, which can be very expensive problem, especially if used in a salt laden environment, is also 16 years old
Does the owner have complete service records so that you can see if it was maintained according to manufacturer recommendations? If he tells you that he did all of the maintenance himself, which I do, then you have to take him at his word, which is tough to do with a total stranger that is trying to sell you something.

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
NADA wrote:

Values

Suggested List Price Low Retail Average bRetail
Base Price $151,183 $27,380 $32,990
Options: (add)
TOTAL PRICE: $151,183 $27,380 $32,990
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015