cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good deal?

labguy1963
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all! This is my 1st post here and trying to learn as much as I can. I am on the fence if I want a class A or C. This class A is listed near me(see below). It would be just me and my Labrador. The owner is an airline pilot, so I could assume it was well taken care of.

Class A on Craigs List
84 REPLIES 84

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
labguy1963 wrote:
Thanks. I asked the seller/dealer a question if there is a drop and haven't heard back. I should have asked what the date codes are on the tires. Doesn't a tag axle mean much bigger tolls as well?

*Update*........1st off, the reserve is $26K, which is way over what I have seen them go for.. Wow, I didn't expect that much. I ended up calling them and the salesman was pretty clueless on the tires, brakes, frame, etc. Oh well.........

The extra axle does mean a higher toll but quite a few times, they don't catch the extra axle. Tag axles have plusses and minuses. As others have pointed out, the distortion from the wide-angle lens and the slide combine to make that look like the back is drooping which does sometimes happen on these. From the rest of the pictures it looks fine.

$26k does seem like quite a bit for a reserve but about what I would expect a dealership to sell one for. Actually, there is one dealer here that would probably put it on their lot for $33k.

That bounder is exactly like mine but on the Workhorse Chassis. It is a great floorplan and I love the large bathroom. The first thing we did was rip the carpet out of that toilet room though. I still don't understand Fleetwood's love affair with bold colored carpeting back then.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

labguy1963
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I asked the seller/dealer a question if there is a drop and haven't heard back. I should have asked what the date codes are on the tires. Doesn't a tag axle mean much bigger tolls as well?

*Update*........1st off, the reserve is $26K, which is way over what I have seen them go for.. Wow, I didn't expect that much. I ended up calling them and the salesman was pretty clueless on the tires, brakes, frame, etc. Oh well.........

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
okhmbldr wrote:
They used a wide angle lens to take the photos, makes inside rooms look bigger, and the wide angle will make the picture curve a little. I think that's what you're seeing in the photo.

X2
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
They used a wide angle lens to take the photos, makes inside rooms look bigger, and the wide angle will make the picture curve a little. I think that's what you're seeing in the photo.

labguy1963
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
I wouldnt get near that rig, the frame is buckling. Class A gassers with the front slide out are really prone to the frame buckling right where the rear part of the slideout is. Gassers with the tag are really bad for it.

follow the trim piece that runs from front to back and notice that it begins to tilt and run downhill from the back of the slide to the rear of the rv. You can also see the stripes that run along the roofline as well.

That sag might be an illusion too as it doesn't show in the other pics. Camera angle can play tricks. From research and opinions from many MH owners, maybe I should avoid having a tag axle.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
labguy1963 wrote:
Okay, I will focus on Bounders for now. I really like their layout too. Here is one in KY from a dealer on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Fleetwood-Bounder-36S-Class-A-Gas-RV-Motor-Home-Coach-RV-Slide-Tag-/300990015100?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item461467267c&vxp=mtr

The bad part, is that I am very reluctant to buy something like that, sight unseen, as we all know how pics can make them look pristine 🙂

Click Me
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
use the link I posted earlier and do a search for the style of rv and the price range you want. Rvtrader can have some good deals in it. Ebay is a price gouger in most cases.

this searches for class a, 32-40 feet, 0-50k miles, 0-$20k
clicky

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnt get near that rig, the frame is buckling. Class A gassers with the front slide out are really prone to the frame buckling right where the rear part of the slideout is. Gassers with the tag are really bad for it.

follow the trim piece that runs from front to back and notice that it begins to tilt and run downhill from the back of the slide to the rear of the rv. You can also see the stripes that run along the roofline as well.

labguy1963
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I will focus on Bounders for now. I really like their layout too. Here is one in KY from a dealer on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Fleetwood-Bounder-36S-Class-A-Gas-RV-Motor-Home-Coach-RV-Slide-Tag-/300990015100?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item461467267c&vxp=mtr

The bad part, is that I am very reluctant to buy something like that, sight unseen, as we all know how pics can make them look pristine 🙂

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Butler wrote:
labguy-

Not sure what your budget is, but will echo some of the comments about equipment already mentioned. Didn't read all 8 pages, but here was what I thought was our most valuable advice when we were looking for a used rig -

Stay with a 2000 or newer Class A, because by that time, all of the major manufacturers had gone to the wider wheel base like a diesel pusher/bus. Prior to that Class A's (gas) where on the narrower wheel base and you were/would be continually fighting the wheel ruts in road surfaces. Believe me, that's NO fun!! No expert on Class C's, but they may have the same problem.

Good luck - take your time and kick LOTS of tires. There are more sellers than buyers out there!!

Just to add.. Ford went to the wider wheel base and 19.5" wheels on the 1999 F53 Chassis when they replaced the 460 with the v10. Some 1998 Motorhomes were on the 1999 Chassis. Basically anything with the V10...

I may be a little biased but the 98 and 99 bounders can be a very good choice price wise.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Ron_Butler
Explorer
Explorer
labguy-

Not sure what your budget is, but will echo some of the comments about equipment already mentioned. Didn't read all 8 pages, but here was what I thought was our most valuable advice when we were looking for a used rig -

Stay with a 2000 or newer Class A, because by that time, all of the major manufacturers had gone to the wider wheel base like a diesel pusher/bus. Prior to that Class A's (gas) where on the narrower wheel base and you were/would be continually fighting the wheel ruts in road surfaces. Believe me, that's NO fun!! No expert on Class C's, but they may have the same problem.

Good luck - take your time and kick LOTS of tires. There are more sellers than buyers out there!!
Ron & Carolyn
Tucker - Wire Hair Fox Terrier
Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ.
GO HUSKIES
Our Trip Pictures
Ron & Carolyns Travels

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
labguy1963 wrote:
Here is a Bounder a few hours away, but now the price is getting out of my budget.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/rvs/4128181741.html

Here are three, all under $15k

http://treasure.craigslist.org/rvs/4129227558.html

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/rvs/4005542842.html

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/rvs/4073241020.html

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
How about a nice little DP? Here