Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping cool in 95 degree heat...

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
Hey good folks,
I'm gonna be on the road with my wife, daughter and grandkids in 95 degree heat. The dash A/C just got fixed but if that's not enough do you folks turn on the generator and run the house A/C's while you're on the road?

~Thanks, John
25 REPLIES 25

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on setting thermo at 74!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
rdmike wrote:
We watch the inside temp on the thermostat. Once over 90 measured from various parts of the coach or so we turn on the gen and the air.

Over 90 inside? Is that a typo? We run ours if it gets above 74...
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
I turn on all 3 A/Cs. But set the bedroom to the highest temperature so that if your kids go in there it is warm (not hot, just warm) and they sleep the whole trip 🙂

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
stepdad wrote:
Hey good folks,
I'm gonna be on the road with my wife, daughter and grandkids in 95 degree heat. The dash A/C just got fixed but if that's not enough do you folks turn on the generator and run the house A/C's while you're on the road?

~Thanks, John

YES! Of course!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the use of fans to circulate the air. An oscillating fan in the 10-12 inch range can really move a lot of cool air around and makes things more comfortable with less energy.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
When I'm headed to AZ. from Washington State, I stop off in Barstow, CA. have lunch and turn the genset on so I can run the AC's! When you get to your destination it's important to get your coach cooled down in the morning to be prepared for the P.M. heat!

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on all aspects. In fact, we do not run the dash air at all, as the coach A/C keeps us very cool up front!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
You can do it!

Ev
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely run both dash air and run gen with house A/C's running you will stay much cooler and the kids will be comfortable.. Stay cool safe travels 🙂
2002 Georgie Boy Landau 3402DS Ford V-10

elwood58
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on setting thermostats etc for cooling before turning on the generator. That way you can control everything from the cockpit. This is extra helpful when stopping for fuel etc, where you need to turn the genny off then back on.
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Generator ON and A/C's ON full bore
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that's why it's there. You have a MH for all the conveniences while travelling right? So use them. Aside from all the other reasons mentioned, it's also a really good way to exercise the generator under load which is beneficial. Give me a genset with lots of hours over one that's hardly been used.
2013 ACE 29.2

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Use that generator....that's what it is there for...mine goes on the moment it is above 80 out...although the I must say the dash air in this new unit is noticeably better than the unit I traded...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Generator running, A/C on and the dash air blasting! Comfortable!
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad