Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kwikee Electric Steps Fail to Fully Retract Question

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We have a Itasca Class A with a set of Kwikee 902509100 Electric Triple Steps. They do not retract completely unless I physically give them a light lift. That tells me that the gear range is OK but I suspect that the motor is "tired" and does not have the strength to pull up the weight of the three steps to fully retract.

Has anyone else had this problem and is the recommended fix would be to replace the motor.

Thanks
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler
10 REPLIES 10

stickyeye
Explorer
Explorer
If you handy you can try taking the motor off (watch your fingers!) and take it apart to clean the rotor and brushes. They can get carbon build up creating a bad connection internally which the controller senses as a high amperage draw and stops the motor thinking it reached full extension or retraction. Could also be the controller but trying to clean the motor first is free. This was the problem on my 2 step model and has been working flawlessly since I cleaned it. A light metal grade sandpaper works great to remove the carbon build up. Battling with the motor magnets on reassembly can be a little tricky. Good luck
🙂

Gottahaveit
We got tired of the occasional not working especially when on the road and finally just ordered a new motor and had it delivered to the Elks lodge we were staying at the time. A few silly bolts and it was installed in no time. Should have just bit the bullet and replaced it sooner.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Before changing the motor check the 4 way connector that feeds power to the steps it has a way of getting corroded and steps have low voltage at the motor.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Anything to clean off old grease. Applying new lubricant to old lubricant causes a build up.
Not sure about the WD-40 product. I do not care for regular WD-40.It can clean some stuff but it is not a lubricant. Give it a try and see if it works.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Clean all pivot points with carb cleaner. Inspect the drive motor for tightness. Lubricate with motorcycle type dry chain lube.

I first look in my garage to see what's available before I go out to the auto parts store. I do have a can of aerosol engine degreaser which removes grease and grime and leaves no residue. Also have a can of WD-40 PTFE spay dry lube which really works well on my gear teeth for the slide outs. I found a replacement motor for $40 which I'll use if I have to.

Thanks again enblethen
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.....
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Clean all pivot points with carb cleaner. Inspect the drive motor for tightness. Lubricate with motorcycle type dry chain lube.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As the other poster said LUBRICATE every moving joint if that does not work in my case the steps had been bent one too many tines and were binding a new set of steps (Same motor and transmnission) fixed it Major labor job.(Did it myself) but Jack and I got 'er done (Jack is a bottle jack (Hydraulic) from harbor freight in case you wonder).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
If you have lubricated the moving joints of the steps and it didn't help, its probably the gears on the motor assembly. I replaced my motor as it was doing the same thing. Put electric window motor in Amazon search and match yours up.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you tried lubricating ALL of the many moveable joints?