cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ladders for RV work

werni9
Explorer
Explorer
I am stumped about replacing my 8' Step ladder for outside RV work. It is a high quality fiberglass product from Louisville. It fits in the pass through compartment, but is just not what I want, for what I need. Does anyone have tips about what they use to clean sidewalls and observe the 11'5" roof. Thinking "telescoping ladder." EXTEND & CLIMB has a 10'5"but some RVers say it can collapse and it is wobbly fully extended. Thanks for your thoughts.
22 REPLIES 22

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been using my little giant for 13 years. Great ladder. I carry it on the RV ladder. Lol.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Here is what I use-- very good quality (300 pound rating) and makes into either a straight or step ladder.

http://www.coscoproducts.com/eng/Products/Specialty-Ladders/17/Details/2990-20417T1ASE-Cosco-17-Mult...

X2

I have one of these also. Very solid and easy to set up.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
We have a perm ladder attached to give access to the roof, but I use a collapsible to blow debris off the slides before retracting. Faster (and safer) that climbing up on the roof to clean the slides!
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Xtend & Climb and it's very solid and stable. So convenient to use, carry and to store.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

werni9
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I have a rear ladder on the MH for just roof access. I need one for the rest of the coach. I am looking at Xtend & Climb 780P. Pro Series. A couple of RVers gave it a thumbs up. Stay safe...

sfo1969
Explorer
Explorer
Some people think that those fold up ladders are safe and sturdy and i don,t think their safe at all. about 7 weeks ago i was cleaning the windshield on my MH and that ladder flipped out from under me so fast that i didn't have a chance to do nothing. I'am now recovering from a Broken wrist and bruised ribs and i feel i was lucky i didn't get hurt a lot more then what i did. And the ladder i'am talking about are the ones that fold up to 4x4 and fit in your MH bay.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If I wanted to carry a ladder (which I don't) I think it would be a Little Giant (I have one at home).
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like some others have said, for roof work or working high on the walls, I use the permanent rear ladder on our coach. For other work, I carry a 6 foot aluminum step ladder in a side bin.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I use one of these I wouldn't paint my house with it but it folds up to about 4" X 4". I got the 5' not the 7' and I can reach everything but the roof, the lader on the back of the MH works for that.

I use the same ladder except its the 7 foot version. Extremely sturdy and reaches everything.
If l need to get on the roof, l use the permanent ladder on the back.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have the Little Giant 17 ft made in USA a little pricey but one of the best I have used.

https://www.littlegiantladder.com/classic/

JimR

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
JFNM wrote:
I use this folding step ladder. I have the 6' version but there is also a 7' version. It is stable. It folds up very nicely if you have a long pass thru bay - basically a 4" square tube that is 6' or 7' long.

I got the 5 ft one

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
I use this folding step ladder. I have the 6' version but there is also a 7' version. It is stable. It folds up very nicely if you have a long pass thru bay - basically a 4" square tube that is 6' or 7' long.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
My niece got a LITTLE GIANT ladder to use for chores around her house. She really likes it, and I plan to get one at some point.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't you have a rear ladder on the RV? If not, you definitely need a ladder that is taller than your roof to get on to the roof. Even so, I'd certainly have someone at least holding the ladder. Sure glad we had the attached ladder.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel