Explorer
Explorer
Want to replace my running lites to LED. Anyone know where to get the
best price.:h
9 REPLIES 9

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice thing about a full replacement is you get away from socket problems. And, in our case, sunlight has done something to the lenses and bases that's made the lenses pretty loose. I tighten the fit with a layer or two of electrical tape.

Also, at least in boats, sometimes the color purity degrades when putting an LED in a fixture designed for incandescent.

But clearance lights on an RV? I'd consider just lamps/bulbs, whatever they call LED replacements.

We were having issues with sockets, bulbs, lenses and leaks on the Stop/Tail/Turn/Backup lights on the Class C and I got new Bargman LED versions of the lights I took off. Screw holes and all matched. They hard wire to the coach, no sockets etc. and have been nothing short of WONDERFUL!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely. Why go to all of the trouble to replace fixtures with removal, re caulk and rewire when you can just plug in new bulbs? I plan to do the same thing as soon as at least one of my bulbs go out. I did replace the entire tail light assemblies last year with the Bargman set and have not regretted it but that was because the OEM's were the small cheap ones many manufacturers use and the sockets were not the holding the bulbs securely. Good luck.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
aguablanco wrote:
I was under the impression that the OP was going to change the bulbs, not the entire fixture. Is that correct?
RichH

I was thinking that would be the easiest thing to do myself. I just replaced the bulbs in my tail lights (not to LED), but noticed that they had LED bulb replacements at Autozone. They were about twice the cost, but for the length of time that they should last and the lower draw of power might make it worth it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I was under the impression that the OP was going to change the bulbs, not the entire fixture. Is that correct?
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please understand, I have zero interest in promoting one source or knocking another, BUT... Those clearance lights from m4 are single wire. At a minimum, call the owner. Should be easy per above posts. Ask how those get grounded. Reliably, without a ton of extra work. I'm sure from those same posts that m4 offers good quality and service. Again, BUT... the "RV" lighting assemblies (including clearance) look like truck items moved to the RV Aisle.

Here's another example of a two-wire LED clearance light, this time from a known manufacturer (who may well get them from China like most of the rest...) Bargman LED Eastern Marine

malojeer
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought quite a few LED lights on ebay and they have served me well.

TBRam
Explorer
Explorer
M4 products all the way. Great quality and the best customer service I've had in a long time. Give a call and all your questions are answered by the owner and he stand behinds what he sells.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon has these. Look further and you'll see sets with both red and amber included, and sets with various numbers of red and amber. These ARE two-wire design, and you need that since the RV body skin isn't metal to serve as a ground.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
While M4 Products may not be the cheapest I like their products and will be using them to supply all of the bulbs on my trailer going forward.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH