cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lights get bright and then dim

bilmarde
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me 08 Bounder in which the lights change brightness. I've turned off all electric appliances but it continues. Sometimes with greater frequency than others. I have absolutely no mechanical ability so I don't know what to do. Help! Thanks.
2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945
22 REPLIES 22

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Start by verifying that the battery connections are clean and tight.

If wet cell battery, verify water (distilled) level.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I had the same thing, the converter is likely going bad. Eventually the lights will go dim and not get bright again. If you can get to the converter it is an easy exchange to take out the old and put in the new. Mine had 4 screws holding it to the floor and two big set screws holding the heavy wires coming from the fuse box. Took 5 minutes to replace.

In the mean time find your converter and get a picture of the data plate so you know what you need to buy to replace it. If you want to chance not ordering one until it fails at the very least you will want to carry a small battery charger with you. An important thing to remember is that even though your refrigerator runs on AC power when you are hooked up at the campground, the control board telling it to run is 12 volt. If the converter dies and your battery then also dies, your fridge will not work.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Which lights? Coach lights, head lights?
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
You first need to find someone that understands how to use a Volt meter.. If the following is the cause, it's an easy fix.

I saw this exact thing happen several years ago on a Monaco. It turned out that the coach was charging at a higher rate than the auto-reset CB that Monaco installed. Breaker heats up and opens, lights dim. Breaker cools and resets, lights get brighter until the cycle repeats itself.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
I also have an 08 Bounder and experienced the same symptoms when I failed to turn on my master switch in the electrical compartment near the inverter. If the switch isn't turned on the converter is not feeding the system and everything is drawing off the battery. An older battery(s) can lead to dimming lights. Check the switch. It should be a red rotary switch near the inverter in the compartment above the propane tank.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
So assuming you are plugged in and this happens, I agree sounds like a bad converter. The converter charges your battery also. You can check your converter with a volt meter. I have replaced several bad converters over the years. It is a easy fix. If you disconnect the battery and the lights run properly then it could be a bad (maybe a frozen? battery) causing strange things to happen. Pretty much what Old Biscuit said. Definitely need to get you hands on a volt meter with a RV. Just like Biscuit said too!:)
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Probably loose ground connection or dimmer switch is going bad. Electricity is like water. Batteries are the source, wires are the conduit, switches allow passage, fuses keep the smoke from being let out of wires. It's easy, start at the battery, you have power from there to the fuse panel, from there it goes to the light switch to the dimmer to the lights to ground. OOPs I was thinking going down the road.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like your 'converter' is failing.
When connected to shore power the converter takes AC power IN and puts DC power out.
That DC power is used to supply all dc demands and recharge the battery

Converter DC Voltage output should be steady (depending on demand).
When converter starts failing the DC Voltage will fluctuate.

AND this dimming/brightening of lights can be due to a bad battery......shorted/bad cell

So you need to check each battery cell 'specific gravity', check battery voltage/load test and converter DC output with battery disconnected....voltage S/B 13.2V

Time to buy a digital volt meter and learn to use one......every RV owner should have one and know how to use it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31