cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at new Class C but there is a seat issue

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, we are long time TT folks (20 + years) looking to move into a C.

Spent the day today looking at, sitting in, and getting excited about a new C. But there is a problem...of the few C's we were interested in, both Jayco brands, the drivers seat, even when moved ALL THE WAY FORWARD is still TOO FAR BACK for me. I am literally tip toed on the pedals. I'm 5'5", so yes, I'm not average height. However, my folks had an older class C that I fit in perfectly.

The dealer said they had not had that issue before (I'm surprised). Would the seat be able to be re-installed a few inches or so forward? I'm surprised it sits so far back even when moved on its rail all the way forward.

We have not sat it or looked at other brands yet...just Jayco today.

Any thoughts on this?
16 REPLIES 16

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
happynow wrote:
I am 5'4 1/2". We have a 2015 Class C Mercedes Sprinter. I have no problem reaching the gas or brake pedals.

Wife is 5'1" and has no trouble with our Sprinter Class C.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried putting a pillow or some other cushion behind you in the seat? We have a fiend who is about 4' 9" or 10" and that is how she handles it.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
A decent mech or DIY can retrofit OEM Ford power adjust pedals. Pretty sure F
Series, Expedition... Not sure about the full size cars
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

4gone
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31G. They use the Ford factory seats I believe. We also looked at other brands. Many had the exact same seats. We also looked at Jayco, and the ones they had were different. I wonder if they are not the factory seats and mount differently. I would try other jayco's if you haven't and see if it's the same problem. Heck, they may have even mounted the seat or pedestal in that particular unit incorrectly.
2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31G
2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Even Brake
Firestone air bags
Blue Ox Alladin tow bar
Hankook Tires

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have suggested see if you can find what you want on a different Chassis.The Chevy chassis offers More leg room and as you can see you can also get the seat quite close to the steering wheel and the pedals.

As you can see in the background the passenger seat in its full back position,that is how much the drivers seat will move from full forward to full back.

Here is some models to look at.

Good luck in your search.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Try different chassis manufacturer. Also, might be able to get a chassis with adjustable pedals. Our F450 has that option, not sure what they use on "C's".
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Ford chassis. V10.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Some pedals are adjustable.
al

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a Chevy, Ford, Mercedes, etc. truck/chassis. We recently purchased a small 2017 Forest River Class C with a Chevy 450 truck/chassis. I am 5'10" and my D.W. is 5'2". My D.W. does some of the driving in the Class C with no additional pillows, etc. I purposely got the Chevy truck after reading many reviews about the smaller and narrower foot well in the Fords versus the Chevy. Try a Chevy truck/Class C and see how it works for you.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's just the seat depth to the seatback, a cushion between your back and the seat back might be all you need. (Pedal extensions, as others have mentioned, are also a reasonable option.)

I don't think remounting the factory seat farther forward is practical. Putting in an aftermarket seat is pretty straightforward, though; basically it's just four bolts to attach the base to the vehicle.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have any further info on what chassis you looked at? I'm 5'5 1/2" on a good day and have never had a problem driving any vehicle of any type.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
google, bolt on pedal extenders .

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Itasca Spirit 27Q with the E-450 Ford. The cab seats pivot around to use as part of coach seating.
The problem is that the coach floor is 3-1/2" higher than the cab floor.
We live in it for about 4 months in the winter. So I used some large angle iron and raise the seats for the winter, I have to lower them back down before we head for home. Somewhat of a pain to do, but worth the effort.
With that said I would think that your drivers seat forward by removing it and drilling some new holes.

Dusty

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
You could always add extensions to the pedals if the steering wheel is close enough. That would be a very easy fix and would work perfectly. I know from experience.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!