cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for opinions on Flaming Gorge

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on visiting Flaming Gorge. Somewhat out of the way so wanting opinions and also where to park/camp with 40' motorhome. Will be coming in by way of Ely, NV
17 REPLIES 17

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
pigfarmer wrote:
Busskipper, we have been living the good life for 25 years or so. Have done parts of all 50 states. Of course only 49 in the motorhomes we've had. We've been to 50 of the 59 National Parks and plan on a couple this year. We have unlimited time just have to be back home in Florida during the winter. Our kids won't let us play in the snow. What we like to do: National Parks, National Monuments, drive this beautiful country of our. Not so much strenuous hiking anymore. Great Museums, loved Cody. Rodeos. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. It is getting hard to find things we haven't done. I guess we will come into Wyoming from Montana and do Yellowstone and the Tetons again. How is Hwy 191 around Flaming Gorge and Dinosaur? Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

We are similar in History and background, my Navy time was as a youngster, Dad was Nuclear Navy Submariner, and as a kid was back and forth across the country 11-12 times before I graduated from High School, Have owned some sort of RV for 50 years. Now we home base in Maryland and try to commute between the two sons, one in Annapolis, MD one in Superior, CO.

So my guess is you enjoy the Big Picture but are still looking for a Surprise or two along the way. So if I were in Ely and wanting to have an enjoyable, although, long run to Yellowstone I'd look into these stops along the way.(if you connect the dots you will figure out the route I'd Take)

Goblin State Park
Green River State Park
Rt 128 out of Moab
Colorado National Monument
Split Mountain CG Dinosaur NM
Flaming Gorge NRA (along the South side of the Canyon)(then along the West side Marina CG)
Fossil Butte NM
Alpine Junction
Grand Teton NP
Shoshoni (Boyen State Park - long way to Yellowstone - but Beautiful and FUN)(just before you head into the Wind River Canyon there is a CG right on the River, name?)
Wind River Canyon
Hot Springs State Park, Thermopolis
Cody - Red Lodge - Chief Joseph Hwy - Beartooth(toad) - Enter the Park YNP from the North.

Now that might be a lot more than you were after but......... it took me years to find all these spots and I enjoy the drive as much or more than the destination.

Now if you are not headed to Glacier on this trip I'd be sure to time my trip so as to be in Colorado (My Favorite) during the last two weeks of September and catch THIS to be in Colorado, driving through the Passes during the Aspen Season is as good as it gets.

Hope this is something you can use on your trip, if you get back to Colorado in September, that's a whole Vacation just in itself.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper, we have been living the good life for 25 years or so. Have done parts of all 50 states. Of course only 49 in the motorhomes we've had. We've been to 50 of the 59 National Parks and plan on a couple this year. We have unlimited time just have to be back home in Florida during the winter. Our kids won't let us play in the snow. What we like to do: National Parks, National Monuments, drive this beautiful country of our. Not so much strenuous hiking anymore. Great Museums, loved Cody. Rodeos. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. It is getting hard to find things we haven't done. I guess we will come into Wyoming from Montana and do Yellowstone and the Tetons again. How is Hwy 191 around Flaming Gorge and Dinosaur? Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The Firefighter's Memorial Park does have a few sites with hook ups right near the highway.

You must be thinking of a different campground. The Firefighter's campground does not have any hookups.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
fossil valley rv park is a real gem in vernal,close to every thing.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at the RV park right in Dutch John. It is right near the highway and has a restaurant and a small garage that can do some RV mechanical work. The Firefighter's Memorial Park does have a few sites with hook ups right near the highway.
That is a great place to stay for awhile and take day trips on all of the local roads. Be careful tho because it is "open range" and you will find cattle right next to, or on, the roads.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
pigfarmer wrote:
Busskipper, we do plan on doing Dinosaur right after Flaming Gorge. Any other suggestions fairly close? Thanks

Tell us a liottle more about the Mission - length of time - People involved - Hikers - 4x4 trails - rocks - rivers - lakes.............

You get the Idea. There are a number of people whom know this area well, let us know more and we can direct you to a lot of FUN.

When I get in that neck of the woods/rocks/rivers - I can just drive on most any road out there and enjoy the Adventure.

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fishing is good there and we love the water. ๐Ÿ™‚ It's a very nice cg.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1, tell me about Horseshoe bend. Thank you a lot.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper, we do plan on doing Dinosaur right after Flaming Gorge. Any other suggestions fairly close? Thanks

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spend only 1 day there years ago, but still remember Dinosaur park besides breathtaking views.
I have high fascination of Colorado River for years.
Flaming Gorge, Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend, Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.
The only I don't want to see 2nd or more times is the leftover water entering Ocean in Tijuana.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
pigfarmer wrote:
Planning on visiting Flaming Gorge. Somewhat out of the way so wanting opinions and also where to park/camp with 40' motorhome. Will be coming in by way of Ely, NV

We enjoyed this in the middle of Elk season. If you enjoy the Sun and the Water this might work, and very few hunters (but lots of deer)

I would also suggest - scence we have no idea where you are going - that you head over to I-70 and take in Rife Falls SP in Colorado and then stop in Dinosaur NM on the way to the Gorge.

Just a thought,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Buckboard Crossing Flaming Gorge Campground National Rec. Area. 50amp, water, nice sites etc. Located at north end of area. Would stay there again. Had deer walking through campsite. Very nice.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Steinaker State Park. It is a Utah state park on the south side of Flaming Gorge. Even though the web site says it cannot handle larger rigs, if you call, they will put you into a site that is plenty large enough. We have a 39 foot and we were able to fit the RV and the toad without any issues. It is a wonderful RV park with lots of room between sites.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've also stayed at Firefighter's Memorial campground - dry camping.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/firefighters-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&...

We visited in August and didn't need reservations.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel