cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for our next RV....Considering an A - Advice needed

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
So, after several years of not RVing, we have decided that now is the time to return to RVing. We reside in SoCal.

Travel plans: primarily SoCal with some trips to AZ, Utah, NV and other destinations within 1-2 days of driving one way. Typically trips will be 2-5 days 3-5 times per year (when kids are off school). We may take one longer trip for two weeks in the summer. Would love to see more of our great country when time allows; perhaps a trip to the south in one of our two week summer trips.

We are a family of 5: Me (age 52) DW (age 47), DS(age 10-with Autism); DS (age 15); one furry friend (mini Schnauzer) Granny may accompany on occasions.

We have owned 2 TT (24', 32'); one 5er (30'); and one Class A ('89 Bounder with 460).

We have mowed over the cost/benefit/usage/comfort/maintenance analysis of TT, 5er, Class C, and Class A until we reached paralysis! Sometimes the analysis doesn't come out in favor of economic efficiency....but comfort, safety, and enjoyment are priceless when your kids are getting older (and parents are getting older too) and the time you have with them is limited. Our 10yo will probably be with us until we can longer care for him and he will join us on ALL adventures well into the future!

Towables are great but not sure our kids will like the trips when we travel 1-2 days to get to our destination. Riding in a crew cab truck for 1-2 full days is not that comfortable with 4-5 adults and a dog! Our previous experience has been on local 1 week trips but driving has never been longer than 3-4 hours one way.

So, now, we are considering a Class A (gas) and hope that this will be the rig that will meet our needs as described above. Class C would be OK, but the overhead bed is not great for adults to climb in and out of; especially if we take granny. We read the post for newbie Class As and learned a bunch.

What can be shared from the more experienced here on this forum? Based on our family size, intended use, etc.....what are lengths, slides or no slides, floor plans, brands, etc., to be considered or on our short list? Budget of about $25-$30K

Thanks in advance!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
31 REPLIES 31

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Reading through the posts and researching A models available in my price range, got me to thinking that I should consider a C class. It provides a queen bed overhead, slightly less expensive to maintain (tires, brakes), and I get a newer unit for my money.
Thoughts? I'll place this same info on C forum for advice on C models

Lots of Class A models now have electric bunks over the cockpit. It's the best of both, all the room of a class a and a bunk that stows away when you don't need it.

Many entry level class A's are not much different in price than most C's. In fact some are cheaper. (ACE, FR3, VISTA, Pursuit, Precept, Brave, etc)
2013 ACE 29.2

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Class C's use to be cheaper so that was an advantage. The price has gone up on them quote a bit so I'm not sure there is much of a cost advantage between the classes.

The advantages to a Class C are:
They tend to sleep more people
The are safer in a front end crash
Smaller tires cost less to replace
They feel like you are driving a van
The overhang up front keeps the sun out of your eyes
Easy to get in and out of drivers area.

Advantages to Class A
Much more living space
Front seats spin and become part of the living room
Lots of storage
Bathrooms are usually bigger
Tend to have more seating
More & bigger slides
Bigger kitchens
Hydraulic leveling jacks
Backup camera is more common

You need to make two lists. One of needs and another of wants and then see which class fits you better.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
If you thought riding in a pickup was confining, you better test drive a C.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

Reading through the posts and researching A models available in my price range, got me to thinking that I should consider a C class. It provides a queen bed overhead, slightly less expensive to maintain (tires, brakes), and I get a newer unit for my money.
Thoughts? I'll place this same info on C forum for advice on C models
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a data point for you.

We sold our '02 Georgetown 32' Class A in late December last. It sold for just under $25K. It had the Ford V-10. We bought it 4 years earlier from the original owners. It had 12,000 milies on it when we bought it and just under 18,000 when we sold it. We averaged between 7.5 and 8 mpg, travelling mainly the west coast and eastern WA and OR.

As Magilla said, budget for new tires and batteries. The original 01 Chassis build date tires were still on the rig when we bought it in 2010! A new set of 6 Toyos (for 19.5" rims) at Les Schwab were around $2200. It only had one house battery, which was pretty tired. There was room for a pair of batteries. Costco deep-cycle ones were about $80. We didn't dry camp, and the batteries never needed to be charged, other than what shore power provided. We never needed to change the chassis battery.

There's also a chance, depending on age, that you may have to replace the slide toppers. The people we bought the rig from had it parked outside their lake-front home with the slides deployed. The living room slide faced south and a year in the sun rotted out the topper. Replacing both the bedroom and living room toppers was about $800.

The other, smaller things to budget for are water hoses, a sewer hose and storage box, crockery, cutlery, pots & pans, a toaster, maybe a coffee maker and maybe a small barbecue. We initially got a Weber Q220, but it wouldn't go in the stowbin without taking the lid off, so we got a Q100 for the RV.

When we sold the RV, we donated much of the smaller gear to our local Soroptimist store, except for the BBQ.

I hope you find something that works for you. Occasionally, a couple of the grandkids came along with us, but we had them bring a tent for sleeping as we have 2 elderly Labradors than needed sleeping space in the RV. You might consider having the boys use a tent when Grandma aomes along.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of Class A gassers for sale in your price range.
Things to look for when buying:

Look for water damage. Check the outside walls and look for soft spots. Do the same on all of the inside walls especially near windows. Not all water damage will come from the roof.

Inspect your roof really closely.

Leave room in your budget for 6 new tires. You will be glad that you did.

Check to see how many hours the generator has been run (there is a meter). Then check the oil on the gen. Smell it!! Many people overlook changing the oil in the generator and that is bad news.

Picture where everyone will sit when traveling and make sure there are seatbelts for them.

Make sure the fridge runs on both gas and electric. Tell the people to have the fridge cold when you get there to see it. Many older refrigerators will start and run but wont get cold.

Test drive it. You need to know that everything is in working order. Don't take the owners word for it.

Inspect the underneath of the coach. Are brake lines rusting? What is the condition of the LP gas tank?

Leave room in your budget for new house batteries as well as a coach battery. Its money well spent.

This is a starting list. You should make a list before you go look at a coach and then check off each item on the list.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what happens every time you drive with someone in the trailer.

Long Long Long Trailer
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Do you like to have a truck for daily or frequent use? The answer to that question should drive your decision. I owned 2 5vers before owning two A's. At the time I needed a strong pickup for my business. If you need a truck and only plan to use an RV a few weeks a year, I'd stick with a 5ver. With your budget you may be buying a bunch of troubles with an older A. Also, with a 5ver you won't be paying for another engine/drive train that sits idle most of the time. Your budget would allow for a nicer, newer or bigger 5ver than A. And taking short stretch breaks every few hours breaks up the tedium of a long trip and that's what I do even driving my A. Having said all that, any rv is better than no rv. You can have fun with either type so make the choice that gives you the best bang for what is a limited budget. At least with the 5ver you don't have to fret over a 15 year old or so drive train. That's where the really big risk lies in an older rv. Its easy to inspect the roof, coach and appliances, and although not cheap, they are much less costly and easier to self repair/change than a drive train. I really like having a 38' A with just about every option, but staying within your budget I would go 5ver. Good luck with your decision whichever way you go.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of truck have you considered a full size van? We purchased a Chevy 3500 12 passenger van and removed the last seat. Loads of room for passengers, loads of room for luggage. Roof rack for the kayaks/bikes.... and still able to tow a 8000 lb TT with no problems at approx 13mpg.

G
Gerry

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
mikensallyt wrote:
BIKERK9 wrote:
Older the Class A, more it costs to maintain both engine and coach. Using a Class A 3-5 times a year and paying vehicle registration and engine maintenance is an expensive investment. I would go with 5th wheel and a double cab truck. Children could ride in the 5er and watch sat TV and communicate up to the truck via phone, txt, or intercom. Insurance is less on 5er and truck can be a primary vehicle. A 38 or 40 ft 5er like a Cyclone w/garage allows lots of room, easy loading of toys, and provides a patio too.
JMHO

What? You can have people in the 5er while driving it down the road???!!!

Uhhh... NO! At least not in North Carolina you can't! And in no circumstances would it be considered good practice to have anyone riding in a towed vehicle/trailer of any sort.

Back to the OP... There are Class A's out there that will accommodate multiple family members, but IMHO I would think a 5er would be the better fit for a large family. Sleeping arrangements in Class A's are not typically very hospitable for more than 2 folks...at least that's been what I've seen. Maybe as a DINK (Double Income No Kids) couple, we just look at things differently. Plus, the safety of all passengers not in the front two seats traveling in a Class A is compromised due to the safety belt arrangements.

Just some more things to think about while you search.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

consumeratlarge
Explorer
Explorer
We have a seriously handicapped daughter, so the class A was a no brainer. She gets the jackknife sofa, the more mobile teen gets the drop down bunk above drivers seats, we take the back bedroom. We can be comfortable, they can eat, drink, watch t.v. while we're traveling. They like it a lot. It makes the travel time go by easier. Economically, it's cheaper to drive a car and get 2 adjoining motel rooms, but not easier or more fun.
Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP 2013, 300w solar, 1200w sine inverter, In-motion Winegard Dome sat. ant., L.E.D. lights, P2 brake controller, Yamaha 250 on back carrier, or pulling Stehl dolly with Hyundai Santa Fe

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this consignment facility just to give you an idea for your price range and what year you would be looking at. It also gives you floorplan ideas. There are quite a lot both gas and diesel (look under that section, too) available within your price range.

The one thing with a motorhome is sleeping arrangements. Your children are getting tall and a dinette bed is short. Sleeping two boys on a RV sofa could be cramped plus you mentioned 'when grandma visits'. Making up a sofa bed and storing linens could be a hassle.

Travel trailers can be had with two bedrooms or bunks.

I hope you find what you want as the boys would love it, I'm sure.

As someone stated, if you want the 'camping experience' have you considered renting a cabin/park model in a RV park? Many state parks have yurts, too. That might be a cheaper way to go for short trips. Sometimes they have a campfire ring, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

PPL Consignments
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered destinations with cabins? Try it a couple of times.

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
BIKERK9 wrote:
Older the Class A, more it costs to maintain both engine and coach. Using a Class A 3-5 times a year and paying vehicle registration and engine maintenance is an expensive investment. I would go with 5th wheel and a double cab truck. Children could ride in the 5er and watch sat TV and communicate up to the truck via phone, txt, or intercom. Insurance is less on 5er and truck can be a primary vehicle. A 38 or 40 ft 5er like a Cyclone w/garage allows lots of room, easy loading of toys, and provides a patio too.
JMHO

What? You can have people in the 5er while driving it down the road???!!!
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
JMHO
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile