Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for Xplorer or Pleasure-Way Used Gasoline

torinoscj429
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All!

I've been reading as much as I can about the available Class B motorhomes, and for the type of traveling I want to do, it's the best choice. I'm 52, and recently traveled 6427 miles in 4 weeks, solo, in my 2000 Mercury Mountaineer SUV. 2/3 of the nights were on an Aerobed mattress in the back of the SUV. I discovered that it was so cold in the mornings, and there was so little room, that I would wait until 9:30 or 10 am to get up, because I was cold! All the other RV folks were rolling by 9, and I wasted a lot of time because I had so little room. Here is my partially completed travelogue, if anyone is interested: 6427 Miles in 4 weeks!

So, from now on, I'm traveling in an RV. I thought about a trailer, but I like to brake quickly and park at interesting sites along the way...I travel with no set plans, and just stop at what looks interesting. I'm not much of a parker, so gas mileage and small size are important.

From what I've seen of the available gasoline powered Class B's, the 98-2003 Xplorer and the Pleasure-Way units look most appealing, due the private bathrooms. I am a certified master auto mechanic from a long time ago, and I hate diesels, so I will only own gasoline-powered rigs, so the MB diesels are out for me. I may want to tow a small enclosed toy trailer at some point, so I'll need to have Rear Wheel Drive.

I have no children, and will be traveling with my future wife, who is very comfortable in small spaces. She wanted to camp with me in the back of the Mountaineer!

What I'd like to ask the group: Xplorer 230 XLWT, Pleasure-Way, or ??? What are some opinions? I'm leaning toward the dual rear tires of the 98-03 Xplorer, as more stable and safer in case of a blowout.

Ideas? Prices???

Thanks!

Gerard
San Diego
25 REPLIES 25

torinoscj429
Explorer
Explorer
Neverhappy wrote:
torinoscj429 wrote:
Still running well!

My wife and I have put 22,000 miles on our Xplorer in 2 years, and we love it! Last summer, we went from California to Ohio and back, took 4 weeks. What an awesome rig!

Gerard

Your car trip was most interesting to read, did you document your explorer trips ? Would love to see some pics !

Thank you for the compliment! We took much of the same route as the car trip from 2 years prior, but with my lovely wife, it was much more fun! Yes, I was thinking of a travelogue for the motorhome trips as well. We take a LOT of photos when we travel!

Gerard

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
torinoscj429 wrote:
Still running well!

My wife and I have put 22,000 miles on our Xplorer in 2 years, and we love it! Last summer, we went from California to Ohio and back, took 4 weeks. What an awesome rig!

Gerard

Your car trip was most interesting to read, did you document your explorer trips ? Would love to see some pics !
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Looks very good in the photos. Just from reading various thread here, my impression is that Xplorer owners are pretty pleased with their choice.
2013 RT 190-Popular

torinoscj429
Explorer
Explorer
Still running well!

Gerard

torinoscj429
Explorer
Explorer
torinoscj429 wrote:
Hello All!

I've been reading as much as I can about the available Class B motorhomes, and for the type of traveling I want to do, it's the best choice. I'm 52, and recently traveled 6427 miles in 4 weeks, solo, in my 2000 Mercury Mountaineer SUV. 2/3 of the nights were on an Aerobed mattress in the back of the SUV. I discovered that it was so cold in the mornings, and there was so little room, that I would wait until 9:30 or 10 am to get up, because I was cold! All the other RV folks were rolling by 9, and I wasted a lot of time because I had so little room. Here is my partially completed travelogue, if anyone is interested: 6427 Miles in 4 weeks!

So, from now on, I'm traveling in an RV. I thought about a trailer, but I like to brake quickly and park at interesting sites along the way...I travel with no set plans, and just stop at what looks interesting. I'm not much of a parker, so gas mileage and small size are important.
From what I've seen of the available gasoline powered Class B's, the 98-2003 Xplorer and the Pleasure-Way units look most appealing, due the private bathrooms. I am a certified master auto mechanic from a long time ago, and I hate diesels, so I will only own gasoline-powered rigs, so the MB diesels are out for me. I may want to tow a small enclosed toy trailer at some point, so I'll need to have Rear Wheel Drive.
I have no children, and will be traveling with my future wife, who is very comfortable in small spaces. She wanted to camp with me in the back of the Mountaineer!
What I'd like to ask the group: Xplorer 230 XLWT, Pleasure-Way, or ??? What are some opinions? I'm leaning toward the dual rear tires of the 98-03 Xplorer, as more stable and safer in case of a blowout.
Ideas? Prices???
Thanks!
Gerard
San Diego

Following up here, I found a 1999 Xplorer 230XLWT on Craigslist, near Sacramento. After fixing some minor problems, my girlfriend and I took it on a week's vacation in March, from San Diego, to Las Vegas, Monument Valley, Arches National Park, Zion, and all around. We love this motorhome! We are looking forward to many more adventures!

Gerard

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Xplorer 230-xl, the last year before rear dualies, & love it. Have had it since 2000. It's in great shape & I will never sell it. It's taken me all over. I also added the rear wheel extenders. It came w rear air bags.

XLW = wide body.

XLWT = wide body w twin beds.

Steve

Book
Explorer
Explorer
Owned 3 XPLORERSโ€ฆโ€ฆ. going back to 1976โ€ฆโ€ฆ. My favorite by far was the 2002 XLW with rear bed and front sofaโ€ฆโ€ฆ. Loved the ride with dulliesโ€ฆโ€ฆ. Do not think any Class B back then can compareโ€ฆ. the slide out storage was unbelievableโ€ฆโ€ฆ insulation , fit and finish was superbโ€ฆโ€ฆ. drove the wide body across the country many timesโ€ฆ.. traded in with 110,000 miles for a Roadtrek 210 โ€ฆโ€ฆ tried for 2 years to find a low milage Xplorer replacement
(2003- last year)โ€ฆโ€ฆ. (5 years and 100,900 miles) and traded Roadtrek in for 2013 Winnebago ERA -A โ€ฆโ€ฆ.Loving the ERAโ€ฆ...
The Book

mepboat
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta stick my 2 cents in here. This last February we got our 2010 PW Excel with a V10. We are completely thrilled. We agree with the other listed reply about the outside shower being placed on the drivers side. Keeps the puddles out of the way of your enjoyment under the awning. Just remember to put a towel out to dry up your feet and brush off the sand. After all we are the "Keys Traveler" and live in the sand here in Florida year round. OK back to the PW. Interior fit and finish is GREAT. Galley is lighted well with all the basics and accessible. Bed is also GREAT. When fully extended it is HUGE !!!!We sleep with heads to the back door so it is easy to get up and not bother the other person. It also is easy to view the flat screen and enjoy the surround sound. The head, bathroom, is restrictive. Being 6' and over 200 lbs. I find that leaving the door open with one foot outside is easier to use the sink for brushing teeth, etc. Of course for the more personal moments the door does close easily for privacy but don't try to turn around too quickly, its a little tough. We do enjoy the ride and keep the air pressure up in the tires and the air suspension. So far no complaints in that category. We have put about 10,000 miles on our PW so far and have monitored the fuel closely. Happily we report that we are getting 14.7 - 15.3 MPG. That about rounds it out for us. Good luck with your decision. What works for one will not always be the answer for another. "B" happy, "B" safe and Go RVing.

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the layout of the Explorer. They have ice flood plans. The RV mechanics are mostly the same between models. If something needs tone changed,it will likely be an upgrade. We love our propane refrigerator. Very efficient and uses very little electricity

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will be warmer if you replace the air mattress. I've read that foam is much better in the cold. Checkout posts for DIY campers.

apache9797
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1999 Xplorer Van camper XL-230 wide body. I love it. We have an electric couch, love it also. The spare is mounted on the rear. Good milage and easy to drive. I have driven it to Mexico, plus many more states, pulled a good sixed boat with it, no problems. We did have to replace the original fridge, but hey, things wear out. Good road clearance, would say go for it.

torinoscj429
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like I'm narrowing in on an Xplorer. Does anyone know the difference between an XLW and an XLWT?

Xplorer Feature Sheet

Merry Christmas!

Gerard

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
torinoscj429 wrote:

The more I look online at Xplorer and Pleasure-Way, the more I'm liking the Explorer...layout and looks. The Xplorer has the outside shower under the awning on the passenger side...I think it'll get used more if it's close to the entryway.

As I'm downloading photos of every Xplorer I find, it seems there are a few different configurations of seats, stove, sink, sleeping area. Does anyone know if I can get layouts of the different configurations anywhere?
Thanks!
Gerard

Hi Gerard,
Just a note regarding the passenger side exterior shower: My exterior shower is on the driver's side and it gets plenty of use, wet sandy feet and flip-flops, bbq grill, etc. The reason I prefer the driver's side shower is because it eliminates puddles on the "active" side, and therefore, tracking mud into the RV.

Xplorers are sweet units. Most new owners design their own interiors, so you are likely to find a plethora of layouts and amenities. The explorer website will give you a great idea as to the many ways the xplorers can be configured.

Good luck with your search.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

torinoscj429
Explorer
Explorer
jjrai wrote:
You can search on YouTube to find video tours and opinions on those Units. I agree on the B v. Trailer issue. It is so nice not to have to leave the Unit in cold or rainy weather when stopping or setting out. Ford, Dodge, Chevy, MB - they all have their good points.

The more I look online at Xplorer and Pleasure-Way, the more I'm liking the Explorer...layout and looks. The Xplorer has the outside shower under the awning on the passenger side...I think it'll get used more if it's close to the entryway.

As I'm downloading photos of every Xplorer I find, it seems there are a few different configurations of seats, stove, sink, sleeping area. Does anyone know if I can get layouts of the different configurations anywhere?

Thanks!

Gerard