cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost a pin on the tow bar. Don't use these pins!!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was headed north on I-95 near Ormond Beach and noticed the toad was wandering around and only one side of the tow bar connected.

Slowly coasted in N and pulled off, not using any brakes.

A pin was missing and I was towing with one arm. I unhitched, moved the car and reattached, no damage done. I always carry spare hitch pins.

I had been using the hitch pins with the swivel latch and the best I can figure is the little Chinese rivet fell out and the latch fell off. I KNOW I flipped it around.

I wont be using those anymore.

Scared the bejesus out of me.

Like these. CLICKY
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
37 REPLIES 37

Mikeborny
Explorer
Explorer
Have not had my Blue ox for a year yet and had one of their pins break on my last trip. Luckily the pin did not fall out, and I luckily had another locking pin. Blue Ox called me just after I got back from my trip to ask me how I liked the towbar and was I satisfied. I told him about the pin and got no response. Will always cary a couple of spares now.
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390bh-40
hauling 2 Berners,3 kids

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
Safety wire the pins to the car or to the towbar if they come out you won't lose then.

Edwin_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
I have lost those spring loaded clips twice from Blue-ox now i use locking pins talked to Blue-ox about pins they seemed unconcerned

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
After many years of towing with a tow bar, I noticed that the pins would always move in one direction. Because of that I always insert my pins from the inside to the outside so that the keeper for the pin is on the outside. I know some will say that it does not matter which direction you put the pins in but I have found out differently. In any case, by installing the pins this way, it puts no pressure on the locking pin. Pin install example

We have always done it this way for a different reason - every once in a while, we manage to get the pins bound up. It is easier to hit them with a hammer and screwdriver to get them out when they are inside to outside. Glad to know it is better for other reasons.

After 2 years and 30K miles, we have not had one fail.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I connect the Toad the last thing I connect is my break. I then physically touch every connection and look at the tow bar to make sure I don't see any cracks and that the hitch pin is in place. I also go back and check that the transfer case is in neutral and the transmission is in park on my Jeep JK Then I go to the to the other side and repeat touching and looking at everything. It might be overkill for some but it makes me comfortable. Every time we stop I go back and look again.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
had you recently stopped at a rest area? i had both removed at a rest area,don't know if a trucker didn't like to share or a kid but i was lucky to notice it before we moved. now use locking one
I'm a retired trucker and I or anyone that I ran with wouldn't even think of doing something like that. It could kill someone!I had 10,000's of cars cut me off in my 44 years of driving over the road which made me mad, but I would never pull someone's pin are do anything evil to someone on the highway.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
OP here. I have been flat towing for almost 20 years and it's a first for me but it was a puckering experience.

I'm thinking grade 8 bolts drilled with a nut and a small master padlock.

What don't you like about just using the locking hitch pin? Seems a whole easier. :W

Don't know about you but I have been in a few incidents where I wasn't straight and they get pinched tight. With using a bolt that is one size all the way I'm thinking you will have a harder time getting it out especially if it's up against that nut?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. I have been flat towing for almost 20 years and it's a first for me but it was a puckering experience.

I'm thinking grade 8 bolts drilled with a nut and a small master padlock.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Paddocks? Are you guys talking about a residential type padlock like you would lock up a storage unit????

I would NEVER even think of using any type of cotter pin with or without some sort of hoky locking clip or a padlock to secure a full size car towing.

Those are the first things I threw out and bought a 'set' of three locking hitch pins keyed the same.

2 go on the toad and the other one goes on the hitch to the tow bar.

You may not have even lost that cotter pin]/b]. There are NUMEROUS reports of RV'ers having kids and idiots pulling a pin out while the RV and toad where parked in a restaurant parking lot. AND reports of stolen tow bars off the back of RV's when parked and the toad not connected.

IMHO those of you who continue to use the cotter pins I would be checking each and every time you park that they are still in place. Just saying.

In the US this is a COTTER PIN or less commonly called a SPLIT PIN (UK terminology). They are a single use, throw away item.

This is generally called a HITCH PIN

The big pin is usually known as a LINK PIN.

I suppose it varies with the part of the country you are in, and exposure to different types of machinery and equipment (farming, heavy machinery, aircraft, etc).

I think they are referring to installing small padlocks thru the holes in the link pins, instead of using the gold pins in the pic below.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
hooligan wrote:
I have used the Blue Ox pins and secure them with a tie wrap around the pin and the towbar lug. Read about pins being removed at rest stop or Crackerbarrel. Keeps pin from falling out and with set of dykes in toad door they are quick to remove if necessary.

The gold pins on top in the pic come in two varieties. The gold ones are mediocre strength as far as the ring springing down to the pin. There are black one (go to Tractor Supply) and they are extremely strong. Will seriously hurt you if you get your fingers caught in them, but they won't come loose.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Blue Ox pins and secure them with a tie wrap around the pin and the towbar lug. Read about pins being removed at rest stop or Crackerbarrel. Keeps pin from falling out and with set of dykes in toad door they are quick to remove if necessary.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
In both cases, both my tow bar pins were just plain missing. Again, the first time I though, wow, maybe I had it backwards but since I have farm machinery and such, I am careful of how I hook things up. Second time, no way. Something gave with those pins and they were gone. Just won't use them again. No chance of removal by evil people or anything either. This was a direct stop/go. No stopping anywhere.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hooked up at the house and hadn't stopped. I am positive I flipped the keeper.

I think the rivet wiggled out.

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
I use the same lock as rockhillmanor, but I put one on the hitch and just one on the toad. It prevents someone from stealing the toad and fully disconnecting. With the backup camera it would be hard to miss that the toad is half connected. I like the pins better so this was my compromise.

I think most cases of missing pins (especially if just 1 pin) are human error. My pin has a spring to keep it closed. Also, it has weathered (mild rust internally or dirt) so that it tends to stick closed (which is safe) but I guess it could easily one day not pop-out and the pin could be stuck open.

I think that is what generally happens to people.. they lock things up but dont give them a nice inspection/test.