cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP Gas carrier on back bumper?

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
I was told today that I needed to replace my LP gas tank as it has a slow leak and can't be re-certified. I only use LP for the stove and was wondering if it would be OK to just mount one of the two tank racks like trailers use on the top of the back bumper and then just hook them up at the campground as needed, doing away with the large onboard LP tank and just use portables. any thoughts?
15 REPLIES 15

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Check your tank for The ASME plate.My understanding is as long as that tag or plate is there the tank needs no recertification.Danger to replace a valve?really,what type of service is he in?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Wijames. I am just looking around and see this...perhaps you might register, and send the poster a note..see where they got theirs fixed?

Bottom of the page.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=70683.0

As I read more about the problem, I see that there are few 'fixes'. You have discovered that for yourself. I am just of the opinion that yours cannot be the first one to need attention and I am sure that somewhere there is a tech that is able to do it. I guess it's easy money for some of the shops. 'Have to to swap it out'. For sure, tho..I wouldn`t suggest a DIY repair be attempted.

Can it be done? Yes. The trick will be to find a shop that does it.

http://arts-attic.com/blog/?p=279

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry mine in my pick up. When I get my welding tanks refilled I carry them in my pick-up. Welding supply houses will not help you load ANY tanks into your vehicle .

Propane supply stores either, at least not in Ca. As mentioned, the tank most likely is not leaking, maybe a valve or line. All is not lost, have someone check it out. Soapy

water or leak detector.

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
Gene in NE wrote:
Hope this is a related question - how do you get your 20# propane tank home that you use on the backyard barbeque? Do you haul it home in the trunk or in the back seat?

I haul it in my trunk but then I'm only going 3 or 4 miles.

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Okay..I get that. You didn't say you couldn't afford it in your original post.

When you were told you had a small leak...what is it that is leaking? And what year RV do you have? The year matters as far as finding parts. The tank isn't leaking...it's either a line or the valve.

Looking on-line, there are suggestions that who checked what and said what plays a role. If it was a pump jockey or a skilled tech. If the former, take it to another dealer for a second opinion. I see 7 propane dealers in your area. Maybe call around and see who has a tech as opposed to just a fill place.

Gary Haupt

I had it checked at a propane dealer and they believe the leak is coming from the fill valve and neither them or any of the other propane dealers will replace it due to the dangers. My coach is a 1993 so the tank is 22 years old.
Sorry if I came off a little testy in my post but a lot of people don't realize that there are a lot of us out here that barely afford the RV lifestyle. I'm replacing my tires right now and it will take me 3 or 4 months to do so because I can only do 2 at a time, and I do most of the work on my own coach using this forum and UTube. But that's what it's worth to me to be able to enjoy a couple of nights every couple of months seeing other parts of my beautiful state and being part of the RV community.I'm sorry if I ask what seems like stupid questions sometimes but I depend a lot of the knowledge of you guys to keep me rolling and out of trouble.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope this is a related question - how do you get your 20# propane tank home that you use on the backyard barbeque? Do you haul it home in the trunk or in the back seat?
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Okay..I get that. You didn't say you couldn't afford it in your original post.

When you were told you had a small leak...what is it that is leaking? And what year RV do you have? The year matters as far as finding parts. The tank isn't leaking...it's either a line or the valve.

Looking on-line, there are suggestions that who checked what and said what plays a role. If it was a pump jockey or a skilled tech. If the former, take it to another dealer for a second opinion. I see 7 propane dealers in your area. Maybe call around and see who has a tech as opposed to just a fill place.

Gary Haupt

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Even if it were legal, you wouldn't want to do this.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frame mounted tanks aren't rocket science, check the wrecking yards. Maybe a newer coach was wreck and the tank is available (and affordable) in your area.

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
The Logans wrote:
In Florida it's not legal to carry anything flammable aft of the protection of the rear bumper. One of the campers in our group got pulled over for that. He just got a warning that time... we tried to tell him that it wasn't safe, but he wouldn't listen.

Thank you, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. Maybe I'll just use a camp stove till I can afford to replace the tank.
Thanks again.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
In Florida it's not legal to carry anything flammable aft of the protection of the rear bumper. One of the campers in our group got pulled over for that. He just got a warning that time... we tried to tell him that it wasn't safe, but he wouldn't listen.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
From a safety point of view, in a rear end accident, both you and the one that rear-ends you will be gone.

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
You already know the answer. Bite the bullet.

Gary Haupt

I know some of you carry extra LP, where do you carry it? And some of us live on fixed incomes and can't afford to "bite the bullet" for something we rarely use.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You already know the answer. Bite the bullet.

Gary Haupt