cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP gas tank extension question

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like to use a turkey fryer/burner, something like THIS, to boil shrimp, various other things in a large pot (its often called a 'low country boil', and is great!). The burner for this has a 'female' type connector that screws onto a standard 20 pound portable LP gas tank.

In past trips, I've just carried a 20 pound LP gas tank in an outside storage bin that we use with this burner. This works OK, but I really don't like carrying a separate gas bottle in a storage bin. Makes me a bit nervous, and uses up storage space I'd rather use for other things. Would prefer to be able to tie into, use the permanent LP gas tank on the Motorhome.

The problem is that on our Motorhome, the LP tank is on the driver/street side near the front of the MH. Would prefer to use the burner, fryer on the curb (camping) side.

Sooo, my question is this: What would be the best, safest approach to allow using the fryer on the curb side?

Should I have a dealer run a permanent high pressure LP gas line from the MH's LP tank on driver side over to the curb side, and plug the burner in there? I'm thinking that'd be pretty expensive to do, and would require running a high pressure gas line near, across the engine and transmission. Does not seem like a good idea?

Another approach would be to just install a Y adapter on the LP gas tank, and purchase a very long LP gas extension hose that I'd connect and run over to the fryer on the other side just when using it. Would need to be at least 12' long, preferably more like 20'. Can high pressure LP gas hoses be had in that length? I like this approach better, as I could do it myself for much less $$ I'd think.

Any other thoughts? Anyone else use a burner like this, and have a similar predicament? If so, how did you solve it?
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
19 REPLIES 19

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the suggestions, responses. All very good info. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, think I've pretty well decided that I'm going to go with an 11 lb. separate gas bottle. It is just small enough so that it will fit down in the large pot we bring also for this, as I mentioned in the previous post.

However, one thing is bugging me, that I'm wondering about: Is it risky, dangerous, for an LP gas bottle to be stored, transported inside a large, metal pot? My concern is that if the tank 'vents' out some gas, the gas will tend to settle at the bottom of the pot. Wondering if the gas bottle shifting around a little in the pot, and it being metal on metal, if it might generate a spark, and.....kaboom.

Or, am I being overly paranoid? Should I maybe make some kind of sleeve, cover for the LP gas bottle that it will fit in to reduce chance of sparks, before putting it in the pot? I know they make covers, containers for gas bottles, but I've not found any that will fit the smaller 11 lb size; they all are made for the more common 20 lb bottles. A 20 lb bottle is too big for what I want to do here.
Will and Cheryl

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Extend a Stay as a back up for when my portable LP tank should happen to go empty. Easier to get a portable tank refilled with a toad when parked than buttoning up everything and taking the RV to town for a refill. (with the exception of paying for On-site LP Refills).
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

TiredEagle
Explorer
Explorer
DW decided we needed a propane firepit. That will go through a 20# tank of propane in a couple nights (she like a lot of flame!). So, I got the extend a stay and plumbed some fittings and hose so I can use our propane stove, the firepit, and a gas BBQ. I run the hose underneath the coach and mats to minimize the tripping hazards.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I don't think Extend-a-stay is any longer. Try MB Sturgis, Sturgisafe.

MB Sturgis

Cameco and a few others make the same (functionality wise) products.

I didn't even know my RV came with one(we're second owners) until I needed it and brought my hose and stuff from the Condo on a trip. A lot of RVs come with them or are add ons that may exist all ready.

Extend-a-stay sure does exist. Follow this link Marshall is one of the biggest suppliers of propane equipment. I have nothing to do with this or any other company. Just a retired RVer correcting misinformation.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think Extend-a-stay is any longer. Try MB Sturgis, Sturgisafe.

MB Sturgis

Cameco and a few others make the same (functionality wise) products.

I didn't even know my RV came with one(we're second owners) until I needed it and brought my hose and stuff from the Condo on a trip. A lot of RVs come with them or are add ons that may exist all ready.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Went through this exact issue last fall. Here is the thread about my search:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27962138/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

I will take a photo this afternoon to show you my end result.

Chris

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimM68 wrote:
I hooked up an extendastay, and ran an 8' hose across the RV into a passenger side compartment. From there, I've another extendastay T hooked up, and can connect 2 hoses to 2 different gas grilles/appliances.

..Aside from the concern Lantley brought up about someone tripping over the long hose you run from the MH for this, another issue I have with tapping into MH's permanent tank, more I think about it:

If you run yourself out of LP gas using your cooker, grill, or whatever, you've now also used up your MH's supply of gas for heat, hot water, stove/oven, etc. Now, you have to break camp and drive that big MH who-knows-where in unfamilar territory to get the tank refilled. Not something I ever want to do. I prefer to fill up the MH tank at my convenience at home, where I know of a place close by that has plenty of room for me to get it in and out of.

With a smaller, separate bottle, you leave the MH's gas supply alone, and if you run the separate bottle out, you can just throw it in the trunk of a car (toad), and easily take it where ever you need to go to get it filled.

I like that much better, more I think about it.

Tapping off the fridge won't work. Most grilles need high pressure propane from before the coaches regulator. Ditto for many Fleetwoods which have a tap, but it is low pressure and basically worthless.

Yep, I knew fridge line is low pressure and wouldnt work, when I saw someone mention that earlier. If you're going to use the MH's tank for something like this, you're going to have to run a separate line from the tank.
Will and Cheryl

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
No extra bottle for me.

I hooked up an extendastay, and ran an 8' hose across the RV into a passenger side compartment. From there, I've another extendastay T hooked up, and can connect 2 hoses to 2 different gas grilles/appliances.

Tapping off the fridge won't work. Most grilles need high pressure propane from before the coaches regulator. Ditto for many Fleetwoods which have a tap, but it is low pressure and basically worthless.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:

OTOH, carrying a separate LB bottle has its own set of risks, too.

There is no real risk carrying a separate LP bottle if it is stored properly. The valve is well protected and plugs can be screwed into the female connection. I have seen yellow plastic bases and square milk crates used for standing and securing bottles. I have seen RVer's strap them to the wall of the basement.
I do neither, I have a 2 gal lay down tank which is near impossible to tip over. Was my fathers.
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ahhh, like so many other things, this has turned into a decision between two choices, both of which have their own pros and cons. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lantley makes a very good point I hadn't thought about (thank you, Lantley): Using a Y connector and long LP hose connected to MH's LP tank, introduces the risk of somebody tripping over the long hose. That could be really, really bad, given that the other end of that hose will have a very hot burner burning on it, and a large pot of boiling shrimp, corn, potatoes, etc. sitting on that burner!

OTOH, carrying a separate LB bottle has its own set of risks, too. Like you said, Lantley, its a case of pick your poison. ๐Ÿ™‚

More I'm thinking about it, I really like the idea of carrying a separate, smaller LP bottle to power this burner. Reason being, a separate bottle has another nice advantage I hadn't thought about: If I purchase an LP hose adapter like this one, I can then use the LP bottle to power our portable grill, and not have to carry and use those small green propane bottles so much anymore. That would free up even more storage space.

I'm thinking about a 10 lb LP bottle like THIS one. It will sit, fit perfectly down inside the pot we have to bring anyway for this, and will utilize what would otherwise be wasted space inside that pot (I measured yesterday to verify the 10 lb bottle would fit inside). And, will provide another good option to power our other grill instead of using those small green bottles. Yes, carrying a separate LP tank inside a pot sitting in an outside storage bin has its risks, but is it that much more risky than carrying several of the small green propane bottles that I bet most everyone carries? I'm thinking not.

Looks like it might be time to pay the Camping World store a visit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I've had ExtendaStay for some years on two coaches. I have a 12' high pressure hose to supply my grill and a 6 foot hose to feed the coach from a tank when necessary. Love the setup. I keep the grill near enough to the coach that I am not tempted to walk between it and the coach. This reduces the possibility of tripping over the hose.

I did have it installed by a propane certified tech as I am a wuss when it comes to playing with propane.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I won't dispute that there is a risk factor associated with transporting a loose propane bottle. However the hose is also a tripping hazard, especially a longer hose that is fully extended. Tripping around a burner or large hot pot is not a good thing.
. The tank maybe riskier to transport but it is safer to use because there is not a extended hose to trip over.
The hose eliminates the transportation risk but inevitably I seem to stumble on it at least once. Guess it's a matter of picking your poison.
I have a long hose and a extra tank and I can't decide which method is better.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clay L wrote:
You might want to consider a Stay a While or Extend a Stay Tee. They are available with a outlet and hose for an external grill and an outlet and hose that will fit an external cylinder. The later can be handy when you are stopped for a while and don't want to move the motor home to fill up the on-board tank.
They have some built in safety devices so are better than just a plumbing Tee.
You can get a longer hose for the grill. As I recall the one that comes with it is about six feet long. A friend had one made that was about 20 feet long.
I installed mine myself - took maybe ten minutes.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Install the T and there are multiple uses. You'll be able to grill, fry, and have an interesting flamethrower if that suits your purpose. ๐Ÿ˜‰

They install easy. For me on my bounder about 15-20 minutes. On my Toyota C it was a bit harder as I had to re-engineer a divider.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked at mine with a similar thought and it would be pretty easy to tap into the fridge propane line. Drop a steel line down between the bay doors and have a fitting elbowed out right below the coach. Alternatively have the gas connection inside a bay and leave a door open when using the outdoor appliance.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad