cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macerator pump issues

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Help please! My 2013 Winnebago Vista 35F has 1-1/2 baths. The half bath has it's own black tank with a macerator pump to pump the waste to the dump. After opening the valves to dump and operating the pump I get barely a trickle of liquid and the pump shuts off after running about a minute. After a short time I can run the pump again with the same results. I'm assuming that the pump works but is overheating due to the lack of liquid flowing through it. I'm guessing I have a clog between the black tank and the pump. Any suggestions on clearing the clog that doesn't involve a really nasty mess on me and in the compartment where the pump is? Thanks in advance for your help!
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.
20 REPLIES 20

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. To clarify, my black tank is full. Plenty of liquid in the tank. Either I have a clog between the bayonet valve and the macerator pump, or the pump itself is not pumping, or the line from the pump to the main dump (on the other side of the coach) is clogged. My main concern is how to remove the macerator pump and how to empty the black tank without making a huge nasty mess on me and in the compartment where the bayonet valve and macerator pump are located. THEN I can deal with the maintenance/repair to the macerator pump. Any advice is welcome.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
tommy salmon wrote:
Help please! My 2013 Winnebago Vista 35F has 1-1/2 baths. The half bath has it's own black tank with a macerator pump to pump the waste to the dump. After opening the valves to dump and operating the pump I get barely a trickle of liquid and the pump shuts off after running about a minute. After a short time I can run the pump again with the same results. I'm assuming that the pump works but is overheating due to the lack of liquid flowing through it. I'm guessing I have a clog between the black tank and the pump. Any suggestions on clearing the clog that doesn't involve a really nasty mess on me and in the compartment where the pump is? Thanks in advance for your help!

Tommy, it maybe too late for this now...but i put 4 oz of water softner in my toilet..then flush,I found that it will flush so much easier..so everytank I add 4oz... seems to lube the macerator ...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer your question, your best bet would be to get a FLUSH KING that will allow you to direct a spray of water back up into the tank with a regular garden hose......that is, if the clog in the black tank is at the opening of the tank.

You didn't mention if the tank was full? It sounds like it is either empty or clogged.

I don't know how much experience you have with black tanks and the proper use of them along with the macerator. As long as the macerator can suck liquids from the black tank, it will do so. If no water, then it will not suck out the solids. So make sure you have plenty of water in the tank to begin with.

If the problem lies in the macerator, the problem is that one or more of the vanes on the impeller (not the steel blades) has broken off and it can no long create a suction. The macerator will need to be disassemble, cleaned and a new impeller installed.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

rubycreekted
Explorer
Explorer
tommy salmon wrote:

FIRST, I fail to be able to determine if you are having an issue with the waste leaving the toilet(the macerator pump) or the fresh water entering the toilet to allow a proper flush. (a fresh water pump or toilet valve issue).
Ted

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Macerators need routine maintenance. It probably needs a new impeller and/or cleaned and has hair around the shaft.

The vanes break off.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Macerator pumps operate most efficiently when:

1. Adequate voltage is present. Often, wiring is less than 12GA causing the pump to work extra hard to operate. Make sure batteries are up to snuff and wire ga is no less than 12ga.

2. Pump is clean and can operate at peak rpms. This usually requires annual maintenance of the unit. I take mine apart, clean it completely and reassemble during my annual maintenance check off. Hair, toilet tissue and other debris get caught on the metal impeller causing it to slow down and not operate at peak efficiency.

Check an ensure you have 12Ga red wire from the circuit breaker to the pump.
Remove the pump, disassemble, clean and reassemble. Everything should now work. Make sure you use caution with the small housing gasket. If you tear it, you'll have to make a new one out of gasket material. You can buy that in sheet form from NAPA, Auto Zone and others....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG