Did you mean: 

MONACO PUSHER 40' RADIATOR OVERHEATING

moondoggie2
Explorer
Explorer
OVERHEATING ISSUES WITH MY MOTOR HOME
IT IS A MONACO POWERED BY A CUMMINS IT IS A SIDE RADIATOR MODEL
REPAIRS MADE TO IT SO FAR ARE AS FOLLOWS:
RADIATOR HAS BEEN FLUSHED AND DIRT BLOWN OUT FROM THE OUTSIDE WITH COMPRESSED AIR RELIVING THE OUTSIDE DIRT.
THERMOSTATS IN THE MOTOR HAVE BEEN REPLACED
WATER PUMP PRESSURE CHECK DONE.
HYDRAULIC LINES THAT COME FROM THE HYDRAULIC PUMP AND ATTACH TO THE HYDRAULIC RADIATOR FAN DRIVE HAVE HAD THE LIMITER VALVE REMOVED AND THE FAN RUNS AT A FAIRLY HIGH SPEED.
THERE IS A 50/50 MIX OF ANTIFREEZE.
THE RADIATOR FAN BLADES HAVE A ADJUSTMENT ON THE FAN AND YOU CAN ADJUST THE BLADE PITCH ALLOWING MORE "PULL" BUT THIS OPTION HAS NOT BEEN PREFORMED.
THIS HAS BEEN VERY FRUSTRATING AND I WOULD LIKE ANY ONES ADVISE
THANKS
31 REPLIES 31

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Side radiators are like any other mechanical part, they can break. So instead of getting defensive on side radiators why don't some of you come up with an answer as to why this engine is overheating. We all know that the reason why some rear radiators were over heating. Now this person wants to know why his engine is over heating and he describes his coach as to having a side radiator. Who cares if it is a 1998 or a 2014. The problem is still there and all he is asking for idea's as to what it could be. GEEZ!

By the way side radiators are right behind the rear wheels and they do suck up a lot of dirt and grim that is kicked back by the wheels. This radiators are also hydraulic and could have a problem there. They are not perfect, they can give problems just like any other thing that is mechanical.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a IR temp gun you should be able to check your temps when it overheats. It will let you find where there is a big change in temps. It will confirm what your actual temps are too. Start by checking the difference of the water going into the radiator and coming out.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
So far not many good answers. This is a side rad and they are not known to plug with dirt. The OP needs to provide more info: make, model and year of MH, which Cummins engine. Throwing parts at the problem does not do much good. Perhaps the poster who stated this is a known problem with side rads could provide some links to this "known" problem????

Moisheh

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Belt? The only time our Phaeton DP ever overheated was on its maiden voyage to our dealer. Transporter had to stop along the way to have the belt changed.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
liveneasy wrote:
While I don't have a side mounted radiator... several years back I had overheating problems, primarily on long or steep grades. The problem turned out to be two fold. An exhaust leak at the Turbo and a split seam on the charge air cooler. I'm not sure if it was one or a combination of the two problems but after the repairs were made I no longer had any cooling issues.
I agree, check the integrity of your exhaust system. I had a run hot issue last summer. The pipe from the turbo to the muffler had degraded to the point, very little exhaust was coming out of the tail pipe. I replaced the pipe and so far, no issues. Engine runs at a constant 190 degrees now, even up-hill.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
GoldenHVAC: Where is a side mounted radiator going to get all this grime from that will be washed out? The slobber tube is nowhere near it.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I would try washing the radiator again, and see if there is any more dirt on it.

Do you have a coolant water filter? Napa sells a kit #fil 4019 to install one on a 5/8" heater hose line. The coolant filter for a normal pickup is 4070, and they do sell higher capacity filters. If you never ran a water filter, I would suggest starting there. Change it after about 800 miles, it will remove a lot of junk from the engine, and any left over sand. When you notice the heater is not heating anymore, it is time to change the filter again, as it will plug a couple more times in the next 8,000 miles. Then should last 1 year between changes. I replace mine every September, so that the heater will work all winter.

I have a gas engine F-53 - 1997 Ford chassis. I have never had any overheating problems, and the water pump should last many more years due to the lack of minerals in the water.

Some members get offended by a question written with all capitol letters. In some blogs it is considered "Rude" or "Shouting" - as in trying to get your point across by typing in all caps. After taking several customer service seminars, I have learned to not worry about trivial things.

My friends with a Phaton had a problem with it overheating. Their solution was a quart of simple green in a chemical sprayer, mix about 10% green and 90% warm water, then spray some on the radiator, then let it soak, and then wash it out, until after soaking and washing did not bring out any more dirt. It took all day!

The outside coil is probably the A/C cooler, then the air charge intercooler, then the radiator nearest the engine. You need to wash all three coils. You might have to crawl under the RV and then spray the radiator from the inside, or perhaps from under the bed, you can get at it?

Charge cooler leaks can also overheat the engine. Why? Hot air from the turbocharger might not be cooled enough, before going into the engine, and that can mean 1,000F air into the engine only designed with 250F air in mind.

PS: Don't try cleaning the radiator in a campground, unless they have a special place to wash RV's. It will make a mess of the parking area, and management will not be happy. A pressure washer at a self serve car wash might work well too. Or a 1,000 PSI pressure washer - Just use great care not to bend the fins on the coolers with the pressure washer, it would be possible to wash a hole right into and through the metal with to high of pressure to close to the metal coils.

Good Luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Looks like some people are just throwing darts.

Known heating problems with side radiators? Never heard that.

OP doesn't mention model and year of Monaco motorhome, for all we know, it could a 1990 or a 2011.

More info would be a helpful. What size Cummins are we talking about?

MM.

You beat me to it Mr. Mark.

This the first that I too have heard of "known heating problems with side radiators" with regard to Cummins engines. So, I Googled it. The only two mentions were on two other forums from a few years back. One was on one forum regarding a 400 ISL, and on another forum regarding a Cummins 330. Other than that, I found nothing else. If there are/were issues, I am interested in knowing more since I too have a side radiator (?) Curios.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like some people are just throwing darts.

Known heating problems with side radiators? Never heard that.

OP doesn't mention model and year of Monaco motorhome, for all we know, it could a 1990 or a 2011.

More info would be a helpful. What size Cummins are we talking about?

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start with the basics.
1. Make sure you're actually overheating. Rule out a bad gauge.
2. Since you recently replaced the fluids and the thermostat, did you also change the radiator cap?
3. Referring to item 2 above, ensure you don't have an air bubble in your system. Often when changing out thermostats, hoses, flushing etc. an air bubble is left in the system. Air, under pressure does not cool.
4. Make sure you cleaned the intercooler as well as the radiator.

Finally, did you do all these repairs BECAUSE of overheating OR were they done as a matter of routine maintenance....:h

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
For those that do not like yelling....Moondoggie, a new member, wrote:

Overheating issues with my motor home.

It is a Monaco, powered by a Cummins. It is a side radiator model.

Repairs made to it so far are as follows:
Radiator has been flushed and dirt blown out from the outside with compressed air, reliving the outside dirt.
Thermostats in the motor have been replaced.
Water pump pressure check done.
Hydraulic lines that come from the hydraulic pump and attach to the hydraulic radiator fan drive have had the limiter valve removed and the fan runs at a fairly high speed.

There is a 50/50 mix of antifreeze.

The radiator fan blades have an adjustment on the fan and you can adjust the blade pitch allowing more "pull", but this option has not been performed.

This has been very frustrating and I would like anyone's advice.
Thanks.

:)......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
as a new member I would not worry about posting in CAPITALS, I sure wouldn't take that as shouting, maybe frantic, so dont run away because there are many decent people here that have helped me. Is your temp gauge going into the red or where exactly is your temp?

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Yep! An exhaust leak to the turbo or at the turbo will cause it to overheat.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

liveneasy
Explorer
Explorer
While I don't have a side mounted radiator... several years back I had overheating problems, primarily on long or steep grades. The problem turned out to be two fold. An exhaust leak at the Turbo and a split seam on the charge air cooler. I'm not sure if it was one or a combination of the two problems but after the repairs were made I no longer had any cooling issues.
Greg
'96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP/'03 4wd tracker
Datastorm F1/D2/7000/on SatMx5
See where I am today

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
I SUGGEST THAT YOU CONFIRM WHETHER THE TEMP GAGE IS ACCURATE, PERHAPS BY USING AN INFRARED LASER THERMOMETER.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad