cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorhome lost power

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting in Buena Vista, CO, had to limp in. When I hit a hill and the boost hits about 20 lb the ATC light starts flashing, RPM 's cut back to 1800 and the power drops. I make it over the hill about 20 mph. I am thinking a bad sensor. 2003 HR Endeavor, 330 Cummins/Allison. Anyone had this problem. Their is a diesel shop down the street, hoping they can look at it tomorrow.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
11 REPLIES 11

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
A spare diesel fuel filter is your friend!!!

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for getting back to the forum with the results.
Yet another thing to add to our memory bank of potential diesel problems and fixes.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
We are good to go now. The shop ran a scan and the only thing it showed was the ATC warning. We changed the fuel filters and now it is running fine. Now I know that bad filters can trigger the ATC light. Thanks again for the replies.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
ATC will come on with bad fuel filter(s).

Here is a thread with lots of info on how it works. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dash-atc-light-coming-on-while-driving-99288.html
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Is the ATC light explained in your manual? To me that sounds like traction control and if the bus is derating on that it sounds like you have an issue with that system and it is not mechancially related.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel filters was my first thought but that does not explain the ATC light flashing. The shop just north of town is going to look at it around 10am.
Thanks for the replies.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, fuel filters would be my first go to.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like fuel filter
There is a place just north of town that may be able to help, can't remember the name, next to a goat farm!
Good luck
Also a Napa on north side of town

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to us 2x. Both times bad fuel and had to change fuel filter. Always carry an extra one just for that.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter!!! Hope

JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Sitting in Buena Vista, CO, had to limp in. When I hit a hill and the boost hits about 20 lb the ATC light starts flashing, RPM 's cut back to 1800 and the power drops. I make it over the hill about 20 mph. I am thinking a bad sensor. 2003 HR Endeavor, 330 Cummins/Allison. Anyone had this problem. Their is a diesel shop down the street, hoping they can look at it tomorrow.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
If its backfiring and belching some black smoke, it could be the fuel pump. Some Cummin's have two fuel pumps, the primary pulls the fuel from the tank and pushes it to the secondary which distributes it to the injectors. Happened to me. Simple $500.00 fix.
If you have lost boost and no smoke or other indications of poorly running engine other than loss of power, check the small 1" hose that runs from the front bottom of the intake manifold to the compressor. Mine had a hole at the bottom of the hose right at the compressor. NAPA can provide a replacement hose for a few dollars until you can get the real deal from Cummin's for $44.00. Easy install, two hose clamps.
Of course any hole or tear in the charged turbo air will cost you boost and lack of power.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox