Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Semi Winter

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We just bought our second MH. This time it is a 40 ft diesel pusher.
We recently retired and plan to spend 70-80% of our time traveling. North in the summer, south in the winter.
My question is this: If we decide to go to grandma's house for Christmas in CT what is the best way to keep the MH safe from freezing? Or if we decide to stay in the home in CT for a couple of weeks in January?
Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The more I read and the more I think about it the more I think leaving the motorhome down south and taking the toad home for a short Christmas visit makes sense. We will still have our home here in CT to stay in while we do the family thing.
Thanks to all for the input, and happy travels to all.

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave the motorhome in the south and fly to the north and rent a car and motel for a shorter visit. But that is just me..
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions. Plenty to think about.

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have aqua hot? are the bays heated?

I leave for Florida from northern michigan the day after christmas. I have winterized in the past with my old coaches but this one has heated bays and aqua hot. I set the thermostat at 60 degrees and put a 100 watt bulb in the sewer bay. I do drain the fresh water tank but even that is heated. Can you set your generator to turn on if power is interrupted? Also a small ceramic cube heater on the inside is a way to save energy if you have propane.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
We wintered in our fulltime for 3 years in our home location. Freezing is one thing, sub-zero is another.

also keep in mind all motorhomes are different and will therefore deal with the cold differently.

The best thing you can do is monitor your wet bay temps with a weather station temp sensor, one that will have the read out on a panel indoors.

If you plan to let it sit I'd just winterize it and be safe. Trying to keep it thawed will just use up a lot of propane.

If you'll be living in the rig, then be prepared:
*if the wet bay temps drop to near freezing even with your heat being pumped to your wet bay area put a 60W bulb down there near the pump. Some folks put a small electric heater in there or halogen lites but I think those are too hot and a fire hazzard.

*have plenty of propane onboard...in the coldest weather a full tank may only last a week. Have a back up plan if that tank runs out.

*use a small electric heat to warm up cold spots but don't depend on it to warm the coach. You need the furnaces to run so warm air is pumped into to your water bay.

*if you kitchen sink is on a slide...keep the lower undersink doors open when the outside temps are near or below freezing. If needs be pull in the slide. Our sink lines would freeze when the temps dropped below 20 even with the doors open. We had to pull in the main slide when it got cold.

* if you still freeze up...winterize the rig and shower, cook and use the bathroom elsewhere! We lived in ours winterized one year but it wasn't fun!

* be mindful that an absorption 2 way refrigerator does not like cold either. In extreme weather it can stop working until the outside has time to thaw. A drop light can be added to that outside area as well and some of the outside refrigerator vents can be covered but don't seal it up. Usually it takes extreme &/or extended cold to shut down the refrigerator.

*Common sense things...keep shades and curtains closed except when the sun is not shining in, add extra throw rugs to make the floor feel less cold. Even with heat being pumped into the lower bays the floor will still feel cold.

*Use an indoor humidistat to monitor those moisture levels. If you'll be showering indoors...vent moisture outside daily. When the outside walls are really cold they can collect condensation that can freeze, dampening the contents of all cabinets and cause mold. Therefore pull all clothing away from the walls, pack loosely/sparcely and leave at least one door open to each compartment to equalize the heat. This happened in our very arid climate where we had to run a humidifier 24/7 because the furnace ran 24/7 which dried out the air to a not human friendly-20%. Any humidity at all will cause condensation on the walls and windows. Dry off these areas daily.

*drafts...if you get cold winter winds...you'll find out if there are air leaks around your slideouts!

Winter is doable but after 3 years in our rig in it down to -25 at times...we'd rather be in our house!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about taking the MH to grandma's house for Christmas, or leaving the MH in a park in the south while you fly home for Christmas?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
retiredtravelers2013 wrote:
Hi all,

We just bought our second MH. This time it is a 40 ft diesel pusher.
We recently retired and plan to spend 70-80% of our time traveling. North in the summer, south in the winter.
My question is this: If we decide to go to grandma's house for Christmas in CT what is the best way to keep the MH safe from freezing? Or if we decide to stay in the home in CT for a couple of weeks in January?
Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks

Two ways to Winterize air and Pink Stuff We use the air method for any time over just a few days -- easy and has worked for us for over 12 years.

All of the suggestions have some merit and a number of followers, but for us this is easy -- safe -- and reliable.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would feel uneasy of a possible heater/electrical malfunction, etc.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might as well get rid of the concerns. Take it to a Repairing Dealer, Preferably the Factory and get tank pads or heaters and pipes wrapped and so on. perhaps they can even inject some insulation in the caps and add insluation to the bottom of the floors.
Next time we get to the Factory that is my goal; the insulating caps and floors and tnak heaters that is.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not let an electric heater run when you're not there? As I explained, I have an electric heater that was specifically designed to be left in boats with a freeze protection setting. It works perfect in the RV too. I've had it for 15 years and have left it unattended in my boat and then later in my RV for years.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drain all tanks and add RV antifreeze in drains. Drain hot water heater. You won't have pipe-freezing problems if you don't have water in them. Don't connect to a city water faucet if you leave the RV in an RV park and don't leave your sewer hose outside. They become brittle in freezing weather. Definitely don't let an electric heater run when you're not there. Turn off refrigerator, unplug electric and it'll be just fine while you're gone.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bigB42
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone to about 0 by putting electric heater in basement,tanks are not heated.water heater was drained, fresh water tank and most/all of lines are in one pass thru compartment. after that we drained everything went south at -11 the furness only shut off once for a few minutes ken
ken

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to check your owners manual on draining. According to my owners manual, my outdoor shower serves as the low point for draining the system. I have a valve to drain the holding tank but according to the manual if I open the shower and put the head down below the motorhome and then open the interior faucets the system will drain. There will still be water in the water heater and the sink traps.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

cjlatour
Explorer
Explorer
you should have two drain lines in your basement water compartment. open all your faucets and open the drain lines in the water compartment. This will drain all your fresh water lines. Don't forget to remove any under sink water filters before winterizing.
Journey DL 36' 330HP CAT C-7, 6 spd Allison 3000
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/ Chevy Spark toad