cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Narrowing down a Class A

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
So recently my wife and I decided to purchase an RV. We both grew up with RVs and want to take advantage while our kids are still young. We originally considered a TT but after realizing that weโ€™d have to spend $$ on a tow vehicle we decided a motor home was the best solution. My wife and I are looking to pull the trigger on our first Class A RV in the next several months. We have two young kids and we like the idea of bunks, or should I say our kids like the idea of bunks. We seem to gravitate towards the Fleetwood Storm 32H or the Winnie/Itasca Vista 31BE mostly due to the floor plans. Yesterday we tool a look at the Forest River Fr3 28DS and were pleasantly surprised by it's floor plan as well. Itโ€™s rare to see a 28ft with a dinette and sofa. Although it doesnโ€™t have the bunks, it does have the bunk over the driver. Does anyone have any thoughts on these RVโ€™s? They seem to be in the same price point of about $114k so Iโ€™m hoping weโ€™d be able to get it around the $80k point (estimating a 30% MU). Iโ€™ve always heard you canโ€™t go wrong with a Winnie but it can be harder to negotiate a good deal, etc.

Storm - We're but interested to hear of what Fleetwoodโ€™s rep is these days, specifically the storm. We really like the placement of the TV and the fact that the back bunks can convert to a second small table and chairs. Iโ€™ve heard a ton of mixed opinions on the rubber roof. My parents have a 2001 Southwind and although theyโ€™ve had some issues, theyโ€™ve never had anything major. Most of the leaks were due to improper sealing of vents and skylights. Overall theyโ€™ve had no huge issues.

Winnie / Itaasca - Always heard that the quality of winnebago is respected and rarely see people complain, etc. The bunks in the 31BE are stationary and I always find the TV placement to be odd. Itโ€™s usually next to the sink or over the dinette. With small kids Iโ€™d be concerned that the TV will get splat, water, etc. Also hear fiberglass roofs are better then rubber but that if you do have problems itโ€™s quite expensive.

Fr3- This was the wild card that came in at the last minute. To be hones I donโ€™t know much about Forest River. I thought the Fr3 did a great job of making use of the floor plan. And at 28ft it could save some $$ in storage. The TV is over the sink but can slide out over the hall. It also has a sofa and dinette which is rare for this size unit. My question is the reputation of Forest River and the Fr3.

Iโ€™d be curious to see if anyone has any experience of info on these models or any info on them I may have overlooked. Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
One item I discovered after buying a class A was that the wheel alighnment was slightly off. True, when the chassis comes from the factory it is probably aligned. But after Winnebago(or whoever) gets done adding everything and you load it down with gear, it's a whole new ballgame. I'd suggest that as part of the purchase agreement, the dealer agrees to have it aligned prior to delivery.

Mikeborny
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2010 32bh for 5 years and loved it. The extra table in bunk area is very usefull especially when kids have friends staying over. I have had 4 dads and 4 kids on weekend camp outs with plentynof room. The drop down queen is the best on the market in my opinion. I upgraded to a Forest River Berkshire 40' DP to get larger bunks, and better ride.
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390bh-40
hauling 2 Berners,3 kids

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the feedback! I look forward to looking further. My gut is telling me it will be the Winnie or the Fleetwood although I'll probably have to take a look at the Coachman too.

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 Winnebago Chalet 35JR (same as Sightseer 35J). It has 2 bunks, a front TV and a king size back bed. The bunks are permanent, but it has a dinette that makes into a bed, a jack knife sofa and a separate chair in the living space. The bunks have built in DVD players.

rcmiller32
Explorer
Explorer
You can also check out the Coachmen Pursuit line. It is similar to the FR3 and Storm. It is set up for up to 6 people. Should be able to find one in close to the price point you talked about.
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
Member FROG, FMCA, Life Member Good Sam Club, Member Coachmen Owners Association

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I am a Fleetwood fan and own a Fleetwood bunkhouse and like it plenty, but my opinion for you would be for the Winnie.
I hate to think that TV placement is the deciding factor for any camper for younger families as I would hope that when camping we could be doing anything but watching TV, but that's not reality though is it. So here are my reasons, but you have to like your purchase, not me. I haven't been in any of them but based on looking at the floor plans....

The FR3... I have the TV mid coach in mine and think it's the best place for the most viewing locations, but being as that one is right over the sink and so near the kitchen puts it as a bad place to view during cooking and dishwashing time. I'm also not a big fan of RV's that can't be used when closed up (slides not out) and the lack of a good kitchen when closed up is also a huge downer. I like the size of the shower (biggest of the bunch) but if someone is using it the whole back of the coach has limited access. Also doesn't look to have much clothes storage from what I can tell and that is one of the hardest things to find in these bunkhouses, as the kids usually have to share the closets/drawers in the master bedroom area. I know this isn't really a bunkhouse but does have the drop down, but also figure that since your kids would be sharing the common area that you will be limited as to what you can do or where you can go when they are sleeping, like do you like to wake up early and make coffee or stay up late to watch the news. My kids also like having their own space in their own bunks, but I understand the cost issue and even the possibility of easier storage. By the way this is actually 29' 10".

The Fleetwood has the worst (in my opinion) TV location for convenient viewing. To watch from the couch would be painful and it's so high it would be a neck strain from most places. I'm also not a fan of the kitchen being so limited when the RV is closed up. I do like the bathroom being contained and there is enough room to get past it when the RV is closed but it is a slight squeeze. Wardrobe looks bigger, and kids have their own bunks. The extra mini dinette in the bunk area looked to be a neat feature the first time I saw one too, but my kids tried it and found that the bunk space head room (area to sit up in) was diminished compared to the other bunkhouses so you would have to weigh how often would you use this feature to know weather it was worth it or not. We added mesh storage pouches to the walls in our bunks and allowed them to do some minor decorating, and that would be limited in this configuration also.

The Winnie... has an odd TV placement but in reality probably the best as it would be very viewable from the couch and the front seats. The front of it might need to be cleaned more often from food splatters but it should be fairly solid plastic and not get hurt with just a splash. The kitchen is completely usable when closed up, but I see that the only way to the back would be through the bathroom and the bunk access is also a little smaller when closed but probably doable especially for kids. The having to go through the bathroom plan when closed, although a little inconvenient wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. In fact it has several big plusses. The walkway path means that the bathroom is bigger than normal and may not feel as cramped. It would also mean a way to enter the bathroom from the master bedroom area without having to go past the kids for after adult time. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The upper bunk in this one looks like it would flip up and then could be used with that hanging rod but unless you absolutely needed it I would probably make more headroom by taking that out and then allow for more permanent and personal bedrooms for the kids.

It doesn't look like either of the bunkhouses has a door to close off the bunk area from the common area but at least they do have doors to close off the master area. Might consider a heavy drape to close off that area to make it easier to use the common areas when the kids are sleeping. I know they have there own drapes but they only do a little.

I only looked at floor plan, not at anything like cargo capacity or towing or tank capacities or anything else. I also have the opinion that as far as quality Winnie would probably be top with Fleetwood second but not far behind, and prices to match. Not to sure about Forest River as I've never been in one, but this order seems to be the usual on this forum for RV's in this range.

Good Luck.

Thumb
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have any personal input to add
But a friend bought a 32' Jayco Precept and likes it real well

That might be a class a to add to your research list

Good luck!

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
There are good manufacturers, decent manufaturers, and not so good manufacturers...
Just saying.
Of the ones you listed, I'd look hardest at the fleetwood and winnie/itasca

IN your opinion does the FR fall into decent or not so good? Any reason why? It's probably third on my list, out of the 3 but just curious as to why.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
There are good manufacturers, decent manufaturers, and not so good manufacturers...
Just saying.
Of the ones you listed, I'd look hardest at the fleetwood and winnie/itasca
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you will find the bunks in the 31be will fold up. We have looked at both the 31be and the Newmar Baystars Sport 3004 and will most likely get the Newmar. Appears to be a higher quality unit for not much more money. You may also want to look at the Thor ACE as it has a floor plan almost identical to the 31be.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT