Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National RV 2003 Islander

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
Love the inside...
only issue - old tvs...but that can be changed.

Any opinions on quality? Yep, know they are out of business...
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
7 REPLIES 7

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Islander models were great. ONE thing that was NOT great----They had a LOW body profile. We had numerous customers crack front and rear lower fiberglass caps from going over low driveways and curbs. That low profile is what made them handle great on the hiway. Doug

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 99 Tradewinds and I thought the National RVs were very well built (the only thing I didn't like was that in ours, all the light switches were on the ceiling - doesn't work well with young kids).

The 03 Islander was built on a 34k GVWR chassis, had a UVW of 29k and had almost 3k of CCC. That's a significantly heavier chassis than our 03 Phaeton (24k UVW/29k GVWR probably about 3k of CCC) or compared to a 03 Discover 39' (28k GVWR / 23k EMPTY (no fuel, no water) - no published CCC but I'm guessing 1k after fuel and water or 03 Revolution 40' (31k GVWR, 26k empty, no published CCC. Also important to note that the Islander has larger tanks (150 fuel, 125 fresh, 70 gray, 70 black) than most comparable mhs (Phaeton is 100/90/70/45, Disc is 90/86/50/50, Revo is 150/95/60/40) so the CCC is actually pretty good.

I actually looked at getting one but because of the CC chassis, they cannot be imported into Canada (to import you need a recall clearance letter from the chassis manufacturer, Country Coach Inc, which is gone. (Country Coach Corporation is a completely different company (with a very similar name) that bought some of the assets of CC Inc and have continued their business but they are not the same company and aren't authorized to provide recall clearance letters)).

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, my 2001 NationalRV Dolphin (gasser) is still going strong. EXCELLENT quality thruout.

wilpower
Explorer
Explorer
We had an 03 Islander before our present coach. It was a great coach, only thing to watch out for is the carrying capacity, the coach is pretty much maxed out before loading it.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
The early ones were built on a DynoMax chassis. What National did was have Country Coach cut holes in the frame tubes and then weld gussets on either side. The holes in the frame is where the slide mechanisms run through. It does weaken the frame and during a situation where the chassis goes over some really uneven ground such as a speed bump,the frame can twist. If there are mirrors on the wall behind the front slide, the slide can twist the frame enough that allows the slide wall to break the mirrors. I have seen this happen.

desobelman
Explorer
Explorer
The Islander was made for only a couple of years. It was built on the Country Coach chassis and was the top of the line DP for NRV. National still has a great reputation for quality construction. An RV dealer near me can bring them in fast enough. They sell faster than any other brand.

If you buy it, check out the PacNats. It is a National RV owners club in the Pacific Northwest. www.pacnats.com. FMCA Chapter.

Happy Trails! :W

Darryl
Darryl & Carole
2005 Sea Breeze LX 8375 37' w/3 slides
"The Grand Hotel West"
2008 Saturn VUE, Towed
GS-25512187 FMCA-355241 Dolphin-1901

frmAloha
Explorer
Explorer
Of the five motorhomes we've owned, the ones made by National were the best built and designed.
Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A