cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice on tires.

Gnome1
Explorer
Explorer
Its time to replace the tires on my class C. This is the 1st time for me to get new tires for my RV.

Any advice as far as brand and/or model?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

Snowman7
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded to 19.5 wheels on my 1 ton pickup. Even with a 225/70 tire(~32" tall) They have a load rating of just under 4000 lbs each. Plus, they are 14 ply, and should last much longer than a 16" 10 ply tire. If you have the room/power to step up to a 245 tire, they have load ratings around 5k lbs. Buying a set wasn't any more expensive than buying a set of smaller wheels and good tires either.

Just a thought.

Dennyf
Explorer
Explorer
I also did the TransForce and I'm very pleased with them. The plus side was they were much cheaper than the Goodyear's and Michelins.
ADIRONDACK CAMPER[purple][/purple]:R

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Gnome1 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their advice!! I am going with Firestone Transforce HT's.
Not a bad choice. I put a set of Firestone TransForce on my previous motorhome. Never had a problem, rode quite and smooth, and showed very little wear. I left them on for about 3 years before getting rid of the motorhome for my present one. I would probably buy the Firestones again.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Gnome1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their advice!! I am going with Firestone Transforce HT's.

JNorton
Explorer
Explorer
I put a set of BF Goodrich Commercial T/As on my 31' Tioga Ranger. I like them as much as the Michelins that were original equipment.
2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31W E450 V10

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
I put a set of BF Goodrich Commercial T/As on my 22 foot Jamboree and then drove it from California to Colorado. Nice ride, good value, not noisy at all.
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second the motion on the Toyo Open Country H/T M/S LREs. They rode and handled well. I wanted something beefier with an all steel casing so now have a set of 7 Bridgestone Duravis M895 M/S. These also ride and handle well.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good thought about tire valves, I just purchased and had them installed Dually Valves ( http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits )
They are great, should have done it long ago. Some tire shops also sell these. Dick

kkmack
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to get long valve stems! Shame on us for not asking and shame on the Discount Tire in Houston for not reminding us. We bought rear tires on our new-to-us class c and didn't think about that. After several years with a travel trailer, we forgot about the dually axle issues. Without the long stems, the inside wheels are impossible!!

Kerri
2002 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 31W
1999 Fourwinns 180 Horizon F/S
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like these, Open Country LT225/75R16 load range E steel belted tires by Toyo.
I put 6 new ones on my previous class c and IMHO they were better than the Michelin's they replaced. Just had to replace 2 tires on my current C and purchased Toyo's again. Dick

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hankook seems to be a good tire. If you were going very high mileage I might favor the Michelin's.
Have them balanced do not have them throw the balancing bags inside the tire.
Have the shocks checked and the alignment.
Check the DOT date on all tires before they are installed on the coach to make sure you are not getting an old tire that has been sitting around. The DOT date should be within 90 days of the date you are buying them
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
MarshaNichols wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
Just put a set of Michelin LTX M/S 2's on our 24' C. I put them on my truck a couple of years ago as well and they were/are the best tires I have ever driven. :C

were these recalled?

No, these were the replacements for the recalled old M/S tires our C came with.

Got a set of six for free after 15,000+ trouble free miles from the originals but the nature of the recall, tread separation made taking advantage of the recall a no brainer. The new M/S 2's ride much smoother than the 20 year old design M/S's and are rated for 70,000 miles. I put about 30,00 miles on the M/S 2's I put on my truck before selling it. :C

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Just put a set of Michelin LTX M/S 2's on our 24' C. I put them on my truck a couple of years ago as well and they were/are the best tires I have ever driven. :C

were these recalled?

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
10- ply