cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New backup camera setup: Camera placement dilemma

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
We had a new back up camera system installed. The tech installed the new camera in the same place as the old one, high up towards the roof. The monitor shows a small area directly down and not very far back. I would like to move the camera to a better spot. I m sure I can do this myself, but am wondering if anyone has done this mod and am open to any suggestions.

Thanks,eh?

Brad

2002 HR Neptune 35ft dp
6 REPLIES 6

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Your best solution is a second camera, which is what I have. I agree that lowering the camera will help.

If you have enough cable, try taping the camera in different locations (heights) until you get the view you want. Several pieces of masking tape will hold it for a few minutes. This is what I did when installing side cameras.

Unfortunately, as you mount it lower you may lose the view of the tow bar. Being able to see the tow bar is helpful when hooking up the tow car.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Review cameras are pretty inexpensive and adding a second camera sounds like a possible solution to your problem. A license plate camera is probably what you need along with a switch or new monitor that can be switched between the two cameras.

I split the difference between seeing my hitch and the trooper with their lights a flashing. My view starts at five feet from the hitch and I can pretty much see to about 30' behind the coach. Use it as a gauge when passing. Once gone from the camera I start to signal my intentions to change lanes. When backing once an obstruction drops to the bottom edge of the viewing area I know in five feet one inch I'll recalling my insurance.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 13 Ford Taurus with a backup camera. Naturally, it's mounted probably 6 feet lower that the one on our mh. It gives a wonderful view of everything from near the bumper and way beyond.

I have tried adjusting the tilt on the camera on the mh. If it's set to see the rear bumper, I cannot see very far back. If it's set farther back, I cannot see anything close to the bumper. I m thinkin' that if I lower the camera down to a height like the one on the Taurus, I would be able to see both near and far at the same time without adjustment.

Clear as mud? 🙂

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
While not the best mod. I have done, I left my old built in camera and mounted the second camera where the middle clearance light was. I now have 4 red clearance lights instead of 5. I use the old camera and monitor as it faces the driver seat at an angle. My wife uses the second monitor color I may ad as it is mounted in the middle of the dash cabinet so we can both see it.

She happy, I happy!

Pogoil.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you sure that the camera does not have the tilt feature? On mine I can look almost straight down and then tilt the camera up to see well above the toad. The up/down buttons are on the monitor for my Voyager system.
If not, most cameras have a manual adjustment to tilt the camera to a better viewing angle without removing it.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Ours, on our 08 Monaco, has a power tilt. I can shine it out the back like a rear view mirror, or hit a button and shine it down at the toad hitch/ towbar.
Not helpful, sorry.

If the unit you bought doesn't have a power tilt, you can probably access the camera in the rear cap, and adjust or shim it so it shows you what you want/need to see
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog