cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Class C's don't come with cab carpeting now?

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
While shopping for our new larger and longer class c, we noticed that most of the major manufacturers no long carpet the cab. Didn't seem to matter if it was Chevy or Ford, they all had black rubber floor like you'd have in a commercial truck. My 2004 Winnebago had nice carpeting, and it ran from the cab to the kitchen where it's vinyl. Guess the manufacturers when they decided to use vinyl thru out the MH felt it unnecessary put carpeting in the cab since they get the cut-away chassis without it.
wonder how much it would cost to get it carpeted. It does insulate the sound and engine heat somewhat.
23 REPLIES 23

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
2014 fleetwood tioga 25G...not close to top of line..has cab carpet..but ...that was not on my list ...I would rather had rubber mats and sealed up around the floor ..I can see the ground in one place..oh well I will get some sealer and do it myself

grimmrlg
Explorer
Explorer
Both my previous 2001 Tioga and current 2007 Trail-Lite bought used had cab carpeting that needed replacement. I've gotten pretty good at re-carpeting and it's not all that difficult. Both had Ford cabs and once you remove the seats, doghouse, and door well trim and side wall trims, it is pretty easy to install a replacement carpet trimmed to size using the original carpet as a template. I also install a dense 3/8" pad underneath to keep engine heat at bay. I cut the new carpet just a bit larger then trim as I place it. Once the seats are bolted back down, the carpet is anchored, I use a crown stapler to attach the carpet at the wood threshold to the coach floor. I suggest a low and dense nap carpet that can be flexed easily to fit the contours.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer the vinyl and rubber flooring over the carpet. Easier to clean and to keep odors out. Every piece of fabric material will absorb odors much more than vinyl or rubber will. We also don't need to keep a vacuum in the motorhome. It was one of the pet peeves we had in the TT, although there wasn't a whole lot of carpet in it. Advantage of vinyl/rubber is that if you spill something or get water inside somehow, its much easier to clean up. The carpet and mat (if there is any) is going to retain moisture. It will be difficult to get it out. And if you have pets and they have an "accident", then it's diffucult to get the odor out as well.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Poodle_Power
Explorer
Explorer
Our very recently purchased 2015 Itasca Navion has removable carpet in the cab. We purchased some floor mats that matched it pretty well so we could keep it clean. The bedroom is carpeted and the main floor is vinyl. I am anxious to use it.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with carpet in the cab as an option....removable which is good. My previous RV (Chinook) was carpeted stem to stern and I hated it. I don't know what kind of people they were targeting but anyone that spends any significant time outdoors is going to have issues with carpet. It's a pain to keep clean, tough to sweep, and is tough to dry out. On the Chinook when we were camping in subfreezing conditions we even had the wet carpet at the entry door freeze the door shut. When shopping for the next RV, minimal carpet (zero would be best) was on the requirements list. We use throw rugs in the back. When they get dirty, we wash them...when they wear out we will toss them.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Hexnut
Explorer
Explorer
I am happy they don't have carpet. Carpet is nice for bare feet and if you take off your shoes before entering. That seldom happens so whatever you track in will stay there. A smooth floor is much easier to keep clean. I never could understand carpet in a car when the first thing you have to do is get floor mats! Especially a truck.
2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser has the front cab covered 100% in the same house carpet but has no padding behind it. Admittedly it looks and even feels nice without padding. The house portion has padding but the padding stops at the 2" step down to the front cab. That is why I feel the stock Ford insulation-backed rubber floor covering for work/box trucks would better address the hot floor issue by the passenger, though it surely would not look as nice.

cgm... mentioned their step down from the house to the front cab is one foot.
cgmartine wrote:
That may have happened when the coach was made a step higher than the cab floor. At least in the case of the Fleetwood Tioga 31M, the floor of the coach is about 1 foot higher than the floor of the cab....
Ours is only two inches.

To all with an E350/E450, how big is your step down?

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Our PC came with carpet up front, wood floors elsewhere. The carpet came with two nice carpet floor mats of the same material. We take them out occasionally and just spray a little carpet cleaner on the mats and they are like new.

A friend ordered a Suburban years ago. Had rubber mats totally replace carpet everywhere. Had the front seats replaced with a bench seat. Said he liked to just hose out his vehicles. No kidding.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols- our Winnebago Minnie has the same cab carpeting and rubber mats, ours with W. I don't know what to expect engine noise and heat from the rubber floor. Perhaps buying the Ford E series front carpeted mats and placing a piece of carpeting in the area between the seats will work.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Itasca has a mix of carpeting and vinyl: Padded carpeting in the entire cab area, between the dinette seats, and extending all around the lounge chair. Vinyl is in the kitchen and bathroom/shower areas. Winnebago supplied rubber mats to cover the cab carpeting in the driver's feet area and passenger's feet area. These rubber mats have a big "I" on them.

We prefer vinyl in the areas it's in and carpeting in the areas it's in. The vinyl keeps spilled liquids from seeping anywhere and is easy to clean. The padded carpet between the dinette seats muffles the sound nicely from the built-in generator down below. The padded carpet in the cab area helps muffle engine sounds and block engine heat (in addition to the exhaust manifolds' heat shields below the floor).

We sometimes like to walk around inside the coach comfortably in bare feet ... so we don't like to walk on vinyl and don't like dirty carpeting. We also don't like to clean carpets permanently installed on floors, so we bought 5 throw rugs - color matched to the coach interior - to cover the vinyl areas and to cover all capeted areas where feet go (except where the Winnebago supplied rubber mats already cover the carpeting). We just periodically remove the throw rugs and shake them out on camping trips, or launder them in the washing machine between trips. The throw rugs are inexpensive and can easily be replaced every few years.

The throw rugs have non-slip backing, which keeps them from skidding on the vinyl flooring. In 9 years the vinyl has not yellowed - maybe yellowing has something to do with the type of vinyl used or the type of non-stick backing used on the throw rugs. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
They don't put orange shag carpeting on the ceiling of the cab anymore either... ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
That may have happened when the coach was made a step higher than the cab floor. At least in the case of the Fleetwood Tioga 31M, the floor of the coach is about 1 foot higher than the floor of the cab, and therefore the tile does not continue.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'd guess its more about "lookers" with dirt on their shoes. If you buy, I'd bet they will have it carpeted when you pick it up. If you're close to deciding, ask them.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,

We love it! One of the first things that we always was to rip out the carpeting, and replace it with rubber mats. The carpet always got dirty, and it was hot, and didn't provide much sound damping.

It looks like the manufacturers finally listened and put in the rubber mat. Now we just cut carpet remnants to fit, lay them over the rubber mat, and when they get stained and dirty, toss 'em out.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v