cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New or Used?

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer
Just getting a sense of how many on the forum purchased their Class A new vs. used. I have never purchased any car, or RV new in my life and do not plan to do so for a Class A. With the huge depreciation these vehicles take, I have a hard time even considering new. Did you buy new or used?
Thanks,
Bill
34 REPLIES 34

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought used. It was what I could afford.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Never brought a new RV. The last one is my current 19 year old, high line, Foretravel, which I love to use as a comparison standard when we go to a RV show. And those salesmen just hate it when I start comparing their units fit and finish to my Foretravel's fit and finish! They always ask me what kind of motorhome I have, and when I tell them a '94 Foretravel, they just say "nice unit" and walk away. I have no intention of trading anytime soon! Best to let someone else depreciate it.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
If everyone bought used there would be no used RVs. We bought new as we like the warranty and new products. It is a preference. I'd say that if you can get a deal like Executive, than go for it but look at new as well, until you find the deal you want. There are not that many "great" deals out there.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my first new RV this year. Why? Because I could.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
I get te best deal I can & always buy new

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We also bought our motorhome brand spanking new. We buy all of our cars new (except my antique, it was 34 yrs. old when I bought it and next year it will be 50 yrs. old). Some of the new ones I keep for a long time and some I don't. I still have (cars) a '90, '95, '01, '07, '08 (motorhome), '09, '10 and a '13 that were all bought new.

Our motorhome was special ordered in January 2007, the motorhome is a 2008 and took delivery April 10th, 2007.

MSRP $456,000
Disc. -$101,000
--------------
Paid $355,000 plus tax.

6.5 yrs. old, almost 65,000 miles, I think I could easily get $190,000 (new tires and new AGM batteries).

So, the depreciation is $165,000 over the time we have owned it.

Unless I found the perfect used unit, I will always buy new. I like the smell and that no one else has used it. It's worth it to us.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my three class As and my TT have all been purchased new. I didn't want to take over somebodies problem unit. life is too short to sweat the small stuff like a few bucks lost.
bumpy

TugCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Great point wntaxman! Im a working stiff but here is the breakdown on my 2012 Vista I bought new. MSRP $124,420 I paid $87,000. Here is the NADA used: Sugested Retail: $103,981 Low: $72130 Average: $86900. I guess my point to this is exactly what wntaxman is saying, most of the folks buying used are using the MSRP as the basis for thier savings not real world market values. Using the NADA used pricing, I should ask more used for my motorhome than I paid for it, at the "average" $86900 would mean I used this for a year and took a $100 loss. Real world prices are based on "market value" not MSPR or even NADA values, if NADA and MSRP values were real world, I would be putting a new rig on the driveway after every trip...
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
F53 V10
2007 Chaparral 20SSi
Camping wife and 2 boys 11 and 6

wnytaxman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought our first rig used and the last three new. After almost getting killed in the used rig because of a brake issue I would not be inclined to buy used again.

Let's do some math. Those who brag about used love to bring up the MSRP of a unit. Well, anyone who pays even close to MSRP must be living under a rock. On a clean deal you should START at 25% off and shoot for 35% off MSRP. The MSRP is a tool to be used to compare units.

I priced a less than year old Entegra Anthem and the asking price was more than what I was quoted on a brand new 2014 unit and the dealer wouldn't budge. Do you lose depreciation when you pull off the lot? Absolutely, but guess what? You do on the used unit also.
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order, 2011 Berkshire 390BH traded

TugCamp
Explorer
Explorer
If all us poor saps stop buying new there aint going to be any used.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
F53 V10
2007 Chaparral 20SSi
Camping wife and 2 boys 11 and 6

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
All vehicles in this household are purchased used. I'll let some other poor sap absorb the depreciation.

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my "entry level" coach new, but it was a year-end close out and my purchase price was not that far off the cost of a new domestic one-ton pickup loaded. So, I didn't pay MSRP. :B
2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

BobOB1775
Explorer
Explorer
When we buy our first RV, its going to be used. We haven't purchased a used car in decades with the exception of one from a trusted friend. I hate the depreciation on cars, but its a lot worse for RVs. If you buy your first RV new and its not what you wanted, your gone to kick yourself in the rear.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Used.

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned two class A rv. One gasser and now a diesel pusher. Both were used and 4 years old. Cars we buy new. Our daughter works for TYoyota and we get it at their cost.