cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new tv

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
We need to upgrade our rear bedroom tv. It appears that a 24-28 inch size will fit into the area. Are there any brands that standout for rv use? This a normal 120v tv. ๐Ÿ™‚
20 REPLIES 20

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, just in case someone is wondering.

LCD TVs are very similar to Laptop computer displays. The fluorescent tube type (typical or ordinary type) have a white reflective layer of plastic on the back of the LED screen that reflects the tiny fluorescent tube light evenly against the back side of the LCD display. The display is hence back-lit with a relatively even light. Some displays have one tube (on the bottom or the top)and others have two (one on top and one on the bottom). Sometimes these will create a slight shadow if there is only one tube or if one of the tubes burns out. Generally these produce an adequate picture when viewed straight on and have been on the market for MANY years.

In an LED/LCD display there is an array of tiny LEDs behind the display. These are lit individually and correspond with the picture on the screen so that they are on and off depending on the display. Areas of the display that are black will hae the corresponding LED behind it turned off so that the black area is truly black and not just blotted out by the liquid in the display which creates sharper, more defined and deeper blacks. Other hues also have corresponding LEDs lit or not depending on the hue. A gray area or a dark blue area may only have half the LEDs lit and so forth. That is why the LED/LDC pictures are richer and sharper.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
deltamaster wrote:
I second the Vizio. Mine is 12 volt powered through a 110v power supply so I straight-wired it to 12 volts and dumped the power supply and it works just fine.

I did the same thing with a Haier brand in my limo. Works great and has survived extreme temp changes. The LCD backlit TVs don't use much power - a lot of them are 12V.

I had a couple of specifics in mind when I was looking for a new TV.

12 volt was one of them.

LED/LCD was another. I had heard the LED TVs have clearer, sharper, deeper picture than fluorescent tube/LCD TVs.

Had to be able to receive digital signals for OTA broadcasting.

15 inch was another but I found that the current VIZIO offering of 19 inch was approximately the same size as my old 15 inch so it fit the bill nicely.

I checked all over the place and found that the choices for such a small TV are few in the B&M retail outlets. Most LED/LCD TVs for sale in stores today are much larger.

Finally I found this one at Target in Bluffton, SC but did not buy it at that time. Later I found it again at the Target in Poughkeepsie, NY and snapped it up.

This VIZIO met all the requirements I requested and works very well. The only thing I do not like is that the speakers are just a bit "Tinny" and there is no real way to adjust the base. Others may not even notice it but I like a little more base in the audio.

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
deltamaster wrote:
I second the Vizio. Mine is 12 volt powered through a 110v power supply so I straight-wired it to 12 volts and dumped the power supply and it works just fine.

I did the same thing with a Haier brand in my limo. Works great and has survived extreme temp changes. The EDIT: LED (not LCD) backlit TVs don't use much power - a lot of them are 12V.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Find a display of TVs, and pay particular attention to the viewing angle, especially from below the screen. The one we installed has to be tilted steeply in order to see it from the bed.

I agree, viewing angle is very important. My old TV had a bad picture when viewed from underneath unless it was tiled sharply down. I made sure when I purchased this VIZIO that it had an acceptable picture when viewed from underneath as it is mounted at cabinet level in my rig.

The VIZIO does have an acceptable picture when viewed from underneath without requiring it to be tilted so sharply.

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johno02 wrote:
one that fits, and is cheap. Walmart or Sams Club.

Good advice..... My story.

I have two 21" in the bedroom they monitor different things (One is hooked to the ANTENNA, the other to CABLE, one is also a computer monitor and from time to time I need a TV and Monitor net to each other)

ONE is a SAMSUNG.. Runs not on 12 but rather 14 volts (per the labels on it and the power brick)... IT also has other features I like, but we won't list those. Got a good deal cause it was a floor model at Wal*Mart and they lost the remote.. turns out I had a spare remote that works 100% with that model.

Now: Why I mention it.. As I said, 14 volt.. now I run it off an inverter (Cause I do not have the proper 12 volt cord) but.

14 +/- 10 percent is 12.6 to 15.6
14 +/- 20 percent is 11.2 to 18 volt

Most RV's with fresh batteries Fully charged provide 12.6 when on battery and around less than 15.6 in boost/absorption modes.

And the 20% figure is dead battery to way more than the converter outputs....

Thus I like my samsung, 2nd one I have owned. (First died of old age but it was also not an ATSC TV (modern digital wide screen) it was, howevr a computer monitor.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 2 Vizio led tvs. They hardly weigh anything compared to the boat anchors that came in the motorhome. Led's weigh less than lcd, fyi.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Find a display of TVs, and pay particular attention to the viewing angle, especially from below the screen. The one we installed has to be tilted steeply in order to see it from the bed.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I would shop for replacement unit by exact size and stuff as much TV as you can possibly fit. Any brand will be fine and I believe they will all be LCD/LED in that size.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
alkillion wrote:
I installed 2 Sonys in my old coach. Worked great.
X-2 on Sony they make very nice TV Sets!

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 2 Sonys in my old coach. Worked great.
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Samsung Smart TV and love it. From Sears on sale.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
I have a Vizio that I really like.

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I removed my old TV and installed a LCD in the bedroom too, but in a different location as we lay in bed and read/watch TV. Added two doors to where the TV was with a new shelf for more storage. Hung the new LCD from the ceiling over the bed. Ran the cables in 1" thinwall PVC, but had to leave room for the slide to come in.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
See below
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...