cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No 50 AMP on shore power

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
A new problem for me, I can only get 30 AMP coming into my coach even though I am connected to a 50 AMP OUTLET. The outlet checks good with my multimeter. When I switch to the genset I have full power. Could this be a failure of the transfer switch? I have the IOTA ITS-50R switch. My coach is a 2004 HR Ambassador.
39 REPLIES 39

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone. I did move to a new location and everything works correctly here. Through this episode I learned something, thanks to you guys.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
BillofPA wrote:
One time I turned off the breaker to my washer/dryer combo and I had the same problem as the poster; only 30 amps available when plugged into 50. See signature: 2004 HR Ambassador

Because that is the breaker they use to power the EMS board. Doug

BillofPA
Explorer
Explorer
One time I turned off the breaker to my washer/dryer combo and I had the same problem as the poster; only 30 amps available when plugged into 50. See signature: 2004 HR Ambassador
Jenny & Bill
2004 H/Rambler Ambassador 34PDD
Cummins ISC330 Allison 6 speed
2003 Chevy Malibu Toad
Our new Yorkie, Daisy.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
usersmanual wrote:
I too thought the progressive unit would alert you if you were not receiving a real 50 amp connection?
The Progressive unit will not give alert that L1 & L2 are bonded.
Otherwise it would have to give warning or cut power when a 30a adapter is used.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said the outlet tests good.. I assume you measured 120 volts side to center (Top) from eitehr side.. Did you measure Side to Side? (should be 240 volts)

Some parks.. "Cheat" what they do is run just one leg, (Cause that what was there already back when it was a 30 amp site) and feed both legs with that one leg.

Your Intelletec EMS will read that as a 30 amp site.. Every time. In fact if everything inside the RV like Air Conditioners works, and works exactly as though you were on a 30 amps ties. this is the ONLY thing that can cause it other than a failure in the Intelletec EMS (And one such failure is a simple fuse, I think it's a 5 amp but it might be a 1/2 amp. )
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
jswat wrote:
I am connected through a portable Progressive surge protector which shows correct wiring and 50 amps. Everything works inside the MH but I cannot run both a/c units unless I turn off something (like the water heater). The transfer switch has no problem switching between genset and shore power. Something is just not letting 50 amps through.

The question remains..... do you have 240VAC across the two 50A hot leads on the pedestal??? It is a simple measurement with your VOM....please report. It is unknown, to me at least, if the Progressive protector would give an error condition to same phase voltage across those two points so it's showing of "correct" 50A service is inconclusive.

OP says quote:
It does seem that the problem is the wiring at the receptacle. I'll be moving to a new location tomorrow with good 50 amp at the pedestal and I'll know for sure. Thanks for the responses and suggestions. You guys are good!

SO time will tell. I too thought the progressive unit would alert you if you were not receiving a real 50 amp connection?
What Doug says makes sense to me so we see when he trys new hook up

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
jswat wrote:
I am connected through a portable Progressive surge protector which shows correct wiring and 50 amps. Everything works inside the MH but I cannot run both a/c units unless I turn off something (like the water heater). The transfer switch has no problem switching between genset and shore power. Something is just not letting 50 amps through.

The question remains..... do you have 240VAC across the two 50A hot leads on the pedestal??? It is a simple measurement with your VOM....please report. It is unknown, to me at least, if the Progressive protector would give an error condition to same phase voltage across those two points so it's showing of "correct" 50A service is inconclusive.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Last to how the EMS system works
1. On 50 amp service, the AMP display goes dark as there is no reason to show or manage amp draw.
2. On Genset service, the display still shows amp draw and WILL shed load appliances if the load exceeds the amp supply of the Genset. Doug

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the answers and suggestions. It does seem that the problem is the wiring at the receptacle. Tomorrow I move to another location with known good 50 amp at the pedestal and I'll know for sure. I've learned a lot from you guys on this site.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
This would be an easy read and easy troubleshoot if we deleted all the name calling posts. Why can't you guys be civil to each other??? Just sayin' and shakin my head.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
It does seem that the problem is the wiring at the receptacle. I'll be moving to a new location tomorrow with good 50 amp at the pedestal and I'll know for sure. Thanks for the responses and suggestions. You guys are good!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
240 volts should be at the CG pole. IF this is correct, then he needs to check at the breaker box 50 amp breakers for the 240 volts. IF it shows 240, then the EMSD module is probably bad. IF he does NOT have 240 at the breaker box then go to the Transfer switch and verify 240 at the output wires on the transfer relay. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. Doubt the Transfer switch is bad. It is extremely rare for a transfer switch to only close 1 leg of power.
2. Your EMS senses the OUT OF PHASE 2 -120 legs of power. IF those 2 legs are on the same phase, the EMS assumes you have 30 amp service
3. VERIFY that you have double the line voltage between the 2- 120 legs at the 50 amp service pole(3 and 9 position). IF NOT, you do not have 50 amp service. But, "Cheated" 50 amp service. Cheated is a 50 amp breaker on the same phase supplying ONLY power on a 50 amp breaker and not a TOTAL of 100 amps which is true 50 amp service
4. EMS systems do not have to be "set" to 50 amp service. It is Automatic when connected to true 50 amp service. You cannot even change to 30 or 20 if on 50 amp service.
Do these tests and post. Doug

My Intellitec EMS sytem has a button on the left side to allow me to select 30 or 20 amp service, even if I am plugged in to 50 amp service.

From the EMS manual. Doug

NOTE When connected to 50Amp-240VAC service the Energy Management features of the unit are disabled and the Unit switches all controlled loads"ON".

Besides, if ON 50 amp serviced(100 amps) WHY WOULD YOU WANT OR BE ABLE TO SET 30 0R 20 AMPS????????????????

Good point BUT why did the manufacturer put the button there to switch input. Before I posted I went to my panel and I can push the button and change to a lesser input power than what I am connected to. Apparently the manufacturer had some reason to do this. If it is all automatic, no push button would ever be needed.

IF you would READ the manual it states WHY. To allow management when NOT connected to 50 amp If you are on 30 amp, it automatically uses 30 amp. IF you are on a less than 30 amp(Garage type plug) you can then set it on 20 amp. You may be able to push the button and change from 50 to 30 or 20 when on 50 amp, but it will NOT do anything. It may show 30 or 20, but as the manual states, ALL EMS functions are stopped when on 50 amp service. It locks the shed relay's closed. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
usersmanual wrote:
smkettner wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
do you people even read the posts?? He clarified the problem
How could it be the EMS if it works perfectly on generator power

He says he can run 2 AC on generator but not on shore power
he says all service/outlets work both ways
his complaint as stated is he has to shut off(example) the HWH
when on shore power to run two AC units but everything works 100% on generator

EMS is registering 30 amp service. Typically a 30 amp adapter will connect both hots of the RV to the single hot of the 30 amp supply. This has zero volts between L1 & L2 in the RV. The EMS is cutting out various loads (normal load shed) because it thinks only 30 amp supply is available. Power would still be available to all items until the total exceeds the 30 amps when the EMS starts limiting.

Turn on the generator and the EMS knows it has full generator power.

So the first issue to verify is if the L1 & L2 of the pedestal has 240 (or 208) volts. Some are not wired properly. The specifics of the supply testing were not given.

yes I know and that's why I as you have asked the OP to meter across the 120V outs and make sure hes got 240V BUT what If he does have 240V then whats your opinions as to what is complaint is caused by?
My understanding and may be wrong is the EMS works on generater or SP
does it not?

If he has 240 volts between the hot legs and does not show 50 amps, then the EMS module in the Breaker box is probably bad. Doug