cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil change

Donpepe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Meridian class A motorhome,350 hp. caterpillar engine.
I don't know when to change the oil because I only drive 2000 to 3000 millers a year,
Also, when do I need to change the antifreeze which I never changed. I have 14,000 miles on my motorhome right now.

I will love to have your opinions.

Sincerely,

Donpepe
15 REPLIES 15

lunch_surfer
Explorer
Explorer
Only suggestion I have is to check your chassis manufacturer Maintenance Schedules. I also would like to state Freightliner has very good clear and easy to follow schedules for Motorhomes, so you do not have to guess from information of OTR trucks that will log 100 time more miles per year that we do. I would assume Spartan has similar info available. The engine manufacturers have also supplied the chassis people with their recommendations so we all have good info at our fingertips. Hope this helps.

ctc
Thanks,
lunch surfer
Mandalay 40e
Traveling USA looking for the best bike trails and campsites.

coolcity
Explorer
Explorer
The Shadow Nos wrote:
Don't forget air drier filter should be changed every 3 years and the air filter should changed every 2 years no matter how many miles.

I disagree completely.A Air dryer system does not need attention till around 65-75K.and have seen them 100% fine even at that.Time does not effect them all that much,same with the air filter.Air filter should be inspected every year for sure as it depends on mileage and driving conditions.Usually Good for like 5 years and 40K miles
Oil change on a 8.3 350HP is good for 15K miles.U can easly go 3 years and 10K.Personally I dont subscribe to the one year theory at all.Never have and never will.Been a Mechanic and Rv tech for 40 years.I have never seen a problem ever just because u went 3 years and low miles on oil and filter.Should grease chassis etc once a year

The_Shadow_Nos
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget air drier filter should be changed every 3 years and the air filter should changed every 2 years no matter how many miles.
2005 Allegro Bus
400 HP Cummins
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
And there are lots other companies out there doing used oil analysis. Cat has their own oil labs and you can pick up the kit at any Cat dealer.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
More like $25 and to include TBN $35.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Jackha1949 wrote:
You should change the oil once a year regardless of the miles you drive. My first MH had a Cat 350 and that is what CAT recommended.

I agree. Oil is cheap. Engines not so much.

Cheaper than a new engine, certainly, but on diesels, still not cheap, given that many take 24-30qts of oil.

I'd do the analysis. I think Blackstone is around $10-15.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I was told to change the oil once per year, or every 12K miles. Since I do not put that many miles on it, it defaults to once per year.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
I have your Meridian's twin.

I change oil annually, coolant every 5 years, and I put new tires on in Nov '12. I went with 275 x 70R x 22.5 by Sumitomo. $2800 for six out the door and included oil change, air filter, lube, and equal in two front tires. Ride MUCH better than Michelins, handle better and are quieter and one load range higher.

I bought it new and just turned 34,000 miles.

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to extend your oil change intervals, you need to test the oil; either Blackstone or JG Lubricant
John & Diane
1996 Beaver Monterey 3403
2005 Honda CRV toad

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Every year or 15,000 miles which ever comes first.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

00_BUCK
Explorer
Explorer
Once every two years is plenty , as long as the mileage isn't at the suggested change interval of 5,000 - 7,500 miles .
2011 Newmar - VENTANA -- with COMFORT DRIVE :B
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar w/ Roadmaster adapters
AirForce One brake system

Life Member GOOD SAM Club
FMCA Member

If your not the lead dog
the view never changes

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Jackha1949 wrote:
You should change the oil once a year regardless of the miles you drive. My first MH had a Cat 350 and that is what CAT recommended.

I agree. Oil is cheap. Engines not so much.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
You need to change your oil at least once a year. Your anti-freeze needs to be changed per Cat's maintenance schedule. Usual intervals for other manufacturer's are 1, 5, or 7 years. Since you have a 2005 you need to have it changed - and while you are at it, it is time for new tires.

Seven years for tires is pushing it. They will age out far earlier then you will ever wear them out. This means you are far more likely to have sidewall failures and blowouts.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

Jackha1949
Explorer
Explorer
Jack & Peg
USN Ret AGC
K1ZMB
Patrick AFB
2017 Coachmen Leprechaun