cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

On-board propane tank refill

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20 Gallon propane tank welded to the frame. I have had this tank refilled dozens of times over the last 10 years. Today, the propane truck refused to refill the tank, citing some fuzzy DOT rule. Does anyone have info about this?
Without America. there is no free world!
23 REPLIES 23

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
Isaac-1 wrote:
Motorhome tanks are ASME lifetime certified tanks, not DOT tanks, the guy did not know what he was talking about.

see https://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-blog/2011/july/rv-propane-safety/

This is the correct answer but I have had idiots at FlyingJ and other truck stops refuse to fill citing the 12 year rule. I used to try and educate them but now I just move on

I find the same thing. Once in awhile you get a guy that thinks he knows it all and won't listen. You will also get guys that don't know the proper sequence for attaching the hose, opening the valve, opening the bleeder and such. Some times I wind up getting half of what I should into the tank and just pay and leave. It's not worth it to try to educate the uneducable.

I do recommend that you tape over the ID plates and stickers and keep your tank looking good by spaying it with a little paint once in awhile if you see rust forming.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go get it filled at a propane distributo who refills tanks. They'll know it doesn't need to be recertified. We haven't had a problem at a U-Haul either.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The twelve year rule went down to ten years under recent rule making changes.

http://www.lpgasmagazine.com/dot-cylinder-requalification-rule-to-impact-propane-marketers/

Five year visual inspection is still in effect.

It reduces the period from 12 years to 10 years for cylinders requalified using volumetric expansion testing. However, the requalification period for DOT cylinders following a proof pressure test increases from seven years to 10 years

The intent was to steamline the rules and eliminate uneven intervals and dates, in addition to providing a little more "safety"

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
Is the 20 gallon tank original equipment to your Motorhome??

X 2 ?
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
Motorhome tanks are ASME lifetime certified tanks, not DOT tanks, the guy did not know what he was talking about.

This is the correct answer but I have had idiots at FlyingJ and other truck stops refuse to fill citing the 12 year rule. I used to try and educate them but now I just move on
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Is the 20 gallon tank original equipment to your Motorhome??

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
So who is qualified to inspect the cylinder?
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
From the Propane 101 website:

Cylinder Certification and Recertification

Cylinders are subject to recertification (also known as requalification) twelve years from their date of manufacture and every five years after that. For example, a cylinder manufactured in January of 2000 will have to be recertified in January of 2012 meaning if you take your bottle to the propane company in April of 2012 to be refilled, it will have to be requalified by authorized personnel before it can be filled. The recertification process is simple and does not take too long to complete. Think of cylinder recertification as an inspection similar to that of your car. A vehicle has to be inspected annually so that it may continue to operate safely on the road. Similarly, a propane cylinder must be inspected so that it may continue to operate safely in LP Gas service.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer