cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan oil filter threads damaged

Carm
Explorer
Explorer
Onan 7000. Performing the season-end oil change yesterday, the oil filter was really hard to get off, had to use a breaker-bar on the oil-filter socket to break the filter loose. That's a really bad omen. Instead of spinning right off, I had to really work to unscrew the filter.

Once the filter was removed, I had a look at the threaded mount on the generator: all the threads are damaged and the tip, with the last couple of threads, was missing. Looked into the oil filter and there's the broken section stuck in the oil filter threads.

I am assuming that I've run into the age-old problem of dis-similar metals fusing together - the steel threads on the oil filter bonding to the aluminum threads on the generator.

In any case: now what? The generator has to come out so I can get at the damaged filter mount. But then what? If there is enough material left I might be able to clean up the remaining threads with a die. Maybe.

Has anyone had this issue? How did you fix it? can it be repaired?
1994 Bounder 32, F53, 460
33 REPLIES 33

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
topflite51 wrote:
Not a penny difference between oil or grease on the gasket. Most people who have trouble removing the filter over tightened them in the first place. Therein lies their problem.
And we have a WINNER!:B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Sully2 wrote:

Horse Manure. The gasket or the gasket surface can be rubbed with EITHER a high temp grease or motoroil

ROTFLMAO Sully I gotta have a beer with you some day.

Make it soon. Im not long for this place
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
Not a penny difference between oil or grease on the gasket. Most people who have trouble removing the filter over tightened them in the first place. Therein lies their problem.

BINGO!!
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike brez wrote:
Sully2 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
When installing any spin on oil filter, always coat the gasket surface with wheel bearing grease, NOT oil. Oil will tend to harden from the heat and make the filter difficult to remove. Wheel bearing grease can handle the heat and will allow for easy removal when the time comes.

Horse Manure. The gasket or the gasket surface can be rubbed with EITHER a high temp grease or motoroil

You can use grease or oil but only if they are synthetic. :B:W
I just had to say that.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
When installing any spin on oil filter, always coat the gasket surface with wheel bearing grease, NOT oil. Oil will tend to harden from the heat and make the filter difficult to remove. Wheel bearing grease can handle the heat and will allow for easy removal when the time comes.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Sully2 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Well horse manure right back at you. :R
How many times have you read on this forum about people having trouble removing their oil filters? I'm sure not one of them used wheel bearing grease. They used the motor oil that they all had been taught a long long time ago.

Done it both ways. Not a nickels worth of difference either way and further more if you have burned oil on the filter gasket you have way more serious problems than a tight filter.
jwmII

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sully2 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Well horse manure right back at you. :R
How many times have you read on this forum about people having trouble removing their oil filters? I'm sure not one of them used wheel bearing grease. They used the motor oil that they all had been taught a long long time ago.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
If it spun on by hand, it didn't have the wrong threads.

I'm not sure that grease would be better than oil----------at least not if it was a synthetic oil that handles higher temps. At least, that's all I've ever put on the filter gasket before installing. No issues taking them off, but I have the various cups to fit the various filters I deal with.

Yes it did have the wrong threads, although they matched closely enough to work on the filter and did not bind up due to the short thread length on the filter. They did bind when the filter was hand torqued. The filter did its job and upon the attempt to remove the mismatched threads acted like a crossed thread causing the hard removal of the filter.
jwmII

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The two model numbers by jwmll have the same thread. They do have different check valve pressures. He is right the one OP used is not for an Onan genset.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Explorer
Explorer
If it spun on by hand, it didn't have the wrong threads.

I'm not sure that grease would be better than oil----------at least not if it was a synthetic oil that handles higher temps. At least, that's all I've ever put on the filter gasket before installing. No issues taking them off, but I have the various cups to fit the various filters I deal with.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Carm wrote:
Hi all, I am the original poster. I thought it would be appreciated if I provided an update on my oil filter issue.

People on this site never disappoint. I think that I now have all the info I need thanks to all of you that provided the great feedback.

To answer questions:
Model and Serial: Onan Marquis 7000 7NHMFA26106D, serial H933071141.

Who installed the last filter? I did. The filter that was so hard to remove was a Fram XG3614 installed hand-tight.

Thanks everyone!!

The fram chart says you need their PH10027 filter for an Onan generator. They indicate that the XG3614 fits mostly if not exclusively foreign made cars. That probably accounts for the thread difficulties tou have. Also Wix, Baldwin, NAPA and many others offer a filter line in both oil and air for Onan Generators.
jwmII

twotoes
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Wow, I was always told to put a little fresh oil on the filter to keep to rubber o-ring from sticking on removal and lube the threads. I will have to try wheel bearing grease now.