cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoor Water Connection Leaks

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
It's very hard to get a good connection on our outdoor water spicket. It almost always leaks. We got a "quick connect", but when it's attached the cover won't close. Any suggestions?
2004 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement
8 REPLIES 8

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
broken axle wrote:
also a lot of people in our campground think their hose is leaking when in fact there is an antibackflow device that sprays water on occasion. I have seen campers go nuts trying to tighten their hose with pliers and adding gaskets when it is this device spraying water when the neighbor opens their tap or takes a shower.

I agree.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Check the male end of your hose. The cheap ends are easy to bend and cause a poor fit. I have replaced most of mine with solid brass ends available at most hardware stores.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your great responses - we'll definitely stock up on real rubber gaskets.
Hubby just said that's not really the issue. It's very hard to reach the hose connection on our PW Plateau; is there some kind of semi-permanent extension that won't stick out so far that we can't close the cover?
2004 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

broken_axle
Explorer
Explorer
also a lot of people in our campground think their hose is leaking when in fact there is an antibackflow device that sprays water on occasion. I have seen campers go nuts trying to tighten their hose with pliers and adding gaskets when it is this device spraying water when the neighbor opens their tap or takes a shower.
31 jayco bhs
2007 GMC 2500HD duramax diesel w/ allison tranny

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend only using rubber washers vs the plastic or whatever the cheap ones are. Just look for the word "Rubber". They work better and last a lot longer and you don't have to tighten them as tight either.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
You choose also double up the gaskets if you can't get a good seal.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things I ran into is poor quality hose ends, in one case the female end being too short to seat against a new gasket. I suppose there was a fraction of a cent saved.
I do also carry extra gaskets.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Check the gaskets in the hose fittings. After being in use for a while, they probably need replacement. I carry a small packet of replacement washers, and generally replace then in all my hoses each season. Also, many hoses for freshwater connection have "wings" on the connector, making it easier to attach and tighten the connection.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.