cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint Checking/Spider Web Cracks

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
OK - I've gone on the WWW and reading all that is out there on the tiny cracks that occur in the dark paint of many Motor Homes.

My Question is - Has anyone found a Wax/Polymer, that does not turn white so you see the little cracks in the light?

I've cleaned - buffed - played with - this a lot and if I could just find a way to make it shinny with out the cracks getting "white" i honestly think I might not really notice them.

I mean seriously these things are what I'll call 2' er's - step back to 4 feet you never see them but step up close and search they are everywhere.

I'm sure someone on the forum has a secret cure.

TIA,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
27 REPLIES 27

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
There are some waxes/polishes designed for darker colors. I have read where some folks use those and they hide the crazing pretty well.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
I use Dri Wash 'n Gard...easy, lasts, no white. 😉
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
OK -

My Question is - Has anyone found a Wax/Polymer, that does not turn white so you see the little cracks in the light?

I'm sure someone on the forum has a secret cure.

TIA,

I really don't want to get into HOW or WHY it happened - It's there, and unless you are 2 feet from the Coach you will not see it. So there is no chance I will spend the $10,000 it would cost to repaint or repair.

But I appreciate all the Fact's, just am looking for the simple solution.

Thanks again,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"Busskipper".....wax the bad area, wipe down and then spray with Pledge and wipe again. The Pledge doesn't leave residue.

I think that might be the answer - "Pledge" but the problem is it is an oil and will not do the same as a Polish. but I am going to give it a try.

When I had a Boat Company the pre guys used to use pledge all the time - would really make the Boat look "Good" problem is that a week later it was in need of more Pledge.

Thanks, for the suggestion,

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
I had this problem with my previous coach but they never left any reside from waxing or cleaning. What I was told is that the darker colors absorb more heat and was more susceptible to crazing due to thermal expansion/contraction. Nothing to do with the fiberglass and even the quality of the paint. Just age, sun and heat.

Unless you nose was right up to the coach they are virtually undetectable.

There was some bad stuff but you find the crazing on just about any coach and it will be in the darker colors. If you use a infrared thermometer, you can see as much as 110 degrees difference between a light color and a dark color on the same coach.

My coach was built in August 2001 and I am beginning to see the crazing in the darker trim colors, the light tan is fine.

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
It was definitely the fiberglass that was not properly cured. Country Coach had a lawsuit against their supplier, but went bankrupt before owners got anything out of the lawsuit. Fiberglass was not cured properly, and started checking. The dark colors makes the fiberglass hotter, and checking results. The panels can be sanded smooth, and checking will probably not recur if light colors are used when repainting.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had this problem with my previous coach but they never left any reside from waxing or cleaning. What I was told is that the darker colors absorb more heat and was more susceptible to crazing due to thermal expansion/contraction. Nothing to do with the fiberglass and even the quality of the paint. Just age, sun and heat.

Unless you nose was right up to the coach they are virtually undetectable.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Busskipper".....wax the bad area, wipe down and then spray with Pledge and wipe again. The Pledge doesn't leave residue.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I use Meguires wax and it doesn't leave a white film. Worth a try. And as far as the paint checking, I understand it to be the way the paint was applied. Country Coach had a problem with it on dark colors at one time.

It was actually bad fiberglass from Owens Fiberglass from about 2003-2007 used on a lot of rvs
Newmar,holiday Rambler,Teton,tiffin,country coach,monaco
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
The way I read the question is he is simply looking for a wax that will not leave a white residue in the small cracks. Not looking to replace the side walls.
Once my car or rv is clean I simply use a spray on wax. I think the one I'm using now is Mothers show time.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I use Meguires wax and it doesn't leave a white film. Worth a try. And as far as the paint checking, I understand it to be the way the paint was applied. Country Coach had a problem with it on dark colors at one time.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately jerry is right. Only fix is to replace and on most RVS that is not possinle. Can replace on hung wall construction, but not on vacubonded walls. Refinish and paint is only temporary because it is still the same panel and will come back.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
In many cases it is the fiberglass causing the problem. Not cured properly.
Only fix is to replace the panel.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE