cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Peeling clear coat and faded paint on class A

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a class A with peeling clear coat and faded paint. Worst is on the back and front, with some small areas on the sides.

What can be done to improve its appearance without doing a complete paint job?
17 REPLIES 17

Bruce_Brown
Overalls (vs spot repair) are easier;

Camper paint
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
Thank you! It looks great, but I can't see the color diff, since the "after" was shot much farther away. ๐Ÿ™‚

A little closer of the after.

Bruce_Brown
janegowest wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
Agreed. Depending on how bad it is you may be able to wet sand out the bad spots and reclear. Be careful not to get down to primer or you'll need to fix the paint as well. Thats not a terrible job either but easier if you can avoid it.

Thank you!! The clear coat is peeled and the paint underneath is faded. What kind of paint did you use? And what clear coat?

You'd want to ask your local automotive paint store what would be best for a spot repair. The technology in these coatings changes regularly. A lot of the new stuff is water based, I haven't used a water based clear yet. For my clear work I have some of the old school stuff left from previous jobs. Most of my painting lately has been on my old farm tractors, I use a single stage urethane for those.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Considering the topic is problem with a peeling clear coat owners experiencing problems should avoid using Zep or at least consider it a nuclear option (once used very difficult to unuse). For dull and chalky gelcoat fiberglass it does work well and will stay on the coat for at least a year before needing attention. Painted rigs, which is what clear coat is, the result have been mixed and biased towards not good. There have been problems with the coating starting to peel off after a few months. I use Zep on my gelcoat rig and it has worked well for me.

If you dealing with paint and clear coats problems work it the same as you would you daily driver. Wet sanding to feather the edges and applying the clear or head south of the board and redo the entire coach. Navarros Body Shop

My 11 year (at the time) Zep coach -

Your results WILL vary.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to a previous post, we did not have clear coat but just dull and faded finish. I put on 3 or 4 coats of the Zep initially and the shine lasted months but I recoated on this winter trip.
Note: have not proof that it couldn't harm a finish but hasn't mine.
Jayco-noslide

THutch
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a Winnebago product, you can go to the paint facility in Forest City Iowa. They did our 2005 Itasca Meridian a few years ago...roof edges, front cap, & some other areas. Color matched, and quick one day turnaround for under $1k. Was very happy, and well worth the trip up from Florida.
Tom & Norma
NEW: 2011 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QRP
Previous: 2005 Itasca Meridian 34H
NEW: 2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4, 4-Down, Blue Ox with Brake Buddy Classic
Previous: 2007 HHR LT 4-Down, Blue Ox with Blue Ox Patriot

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer
Jane..maybe could ask Mookiekat..she may know

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
How about a trip to Mexico

Oh?? Please tell me more!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
How about a trip to Mexico
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I repaired this area on the Sahara this summer.

I used a plastic scraper to remove any loose clear coat, then a Magic Eraser to clean the paint. Lightly wet sanded the edges of the clear coat then shot it with 2 light coats of Nyallic.

No, the color of the unprotected area doesn't match the color that was covered by the original clear coat, but at least the deterioration has been halted.

Thank you! It looks great, but I can't see the color diff, since the "after" was shot much farther away. ๐Ÿ™‚

But, WOW!!!!! I looked at some youtube videos of this product demo and they looked incredible!!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I repaired this area on the Sahara this summer.

I used a plastic scraper to remove any loose clear coat, then a Magic Eraser to clean the paint. Lightly wet sanded the edges of the clear coat then shot it with 2 light coats of Nyallic.

No, the color of the unprotected area doesn't match the color that was covered by the original clear coat, but at least the deterioration has been halted.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Agreed. Depending on how bad it is you may be able to wet sand out the bad spots and reclear. Be careful not to get down to primer or you'll need to fix the paint as well. Thats not a terrible job either but easier if you can avoid it.

Thank you!! The clear coat is peeled and the paint underneath is faded. What kind of paint did you use? And what clear coat?

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide,

Was your situation peeling clear coat or just chalking and fading? I think I have the peeling clear coat the OP is asking about. How long does an application of the Zep Wet Look last?

It may be hard to see but the missing clear coat is on the upper part of this photo. Some dirt makes the peel line visible.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure there is no delamination; the outer layer being wavy or loose. Once you get it really clean and loose stuff off, we found a product which will give our 15 year old faded MH a shine. Zep Wet Look floor polish worked when 3 or 4 various waxes and coating did nothing. Good luck.
Jayco-noslide